LGP Political Discussion Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Re: Healthcare Reform Act of 2009

Post by shafnutz05 »

shockingly not as far right as I thought I was. Interesting
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

GASP!

I think it's because some of the questions were a little tough to answer and I would have wanted some more detail. I took a very similar quiz on facebook (like the one Dagny took) and I ended up smack in the middle and one click toward libertarian. I think that one is a better representation of me.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

PensFanInDC wrote: GASP!

I think it's because some of the questions were a little tough to answer and I would have wanted some more detail. I took a very similar quiz on facebook (like the one Dagny took) and I ended up smack in the middle and one click toward libertarian. I think that one is a better representation of me.
I always knew you were a dirty, stinking, pinko liberal terrorist-loving Marx-reading Darwin-believing America-hating Obama voter commie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:pop:
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

I want to clear up a little of the religous debate we were having.

First off, after giving it some serious thought (and yes....prayer <gasp!>) I have to say that no, teaching that Jesus (or anyone) as the savior in public school should not be be allowed. God does not force himself on anyone and we are free to seek and believe in Him on our own (which is part of His amazing love for us).

Shafnutz defended my statements by saying...
I think the point he is making (and it's most definitely a valid one) is that educators go to great pains to teach kids to be sennnnnnsitive about Islam, Hinduism, atheism, homosexuality, agonosticism, Buddhism, Kwanzaaism, Wiccan, etc...and Christianity is forgotten
He hit the nail on the head. That is a much better way of saying what I wanted to say, and thank you Shaf for that.

I also want to make it clear that I was an athiest in high school and didn't like God very much at the time. I've only recently come to know God, so please don't think that these thoughts are coming from a life long Christian who has been tuned into God his whole life.

As a Christian I want everyone to come to know and have the freedom and salvation that is given through Christ. That is why I jumped the gun on teaching it in schools. I had to take a step back and seek God for an answer and he gave it to me. I love to talk about God and Christ and to preach the Gospel but I don't want to force it on anyone. I don't think I have forced it on anyone in this thread or any other thread for that matter. If you feel as if I have, please know that was not my goal.

Thanks!
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

As a possible direction for this discussion, what does everyone think of the op-ed written by John Mackey, the CEO and founder of Whole Foods? http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 65070.html This opinion piece has apparently incensed many WF customers, and there are boycotts and protests underway. According to KDKA, some union is protesting the Pittsburgh WF today. Are his proposals that bad?
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Geezer »

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: 1.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.13
I figured mine would be farther to the right. Don't know how o copy a chart.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Geezer »

HomerPenguin wrote:
Shyster wrote:
HomerPenguin wrote:I'm still waiting to hear where "redistributing land to the poor" comes into the equation. Sounds like we were redistributing land from undesirables to the master race.
I know from other sources that the transfer went from wealthy Jews and other undesirables to poor Germans and other members of the Volk. Nazi Germany operated a welfare state. I read more than Wikipedia.
Of course, that would be racial redistribution, not socio-economic. Wealthy members of the Volk did quite well for themselves, no?
Jews are not a race so it can't be racial redistibution. It could be some kind of ethnic redisribution I suppose ,but Jews are also not of a single ethnicity.
CHF

Post by CHF »

Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Geezer »

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/08 ... care-plan/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
More of the "unbiased" major networks' tanking for Obama.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

Geezer wrote:http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/08 ... care-plan/
More of the "unbiased" major networks' tanking for Obama.
But we have fox news, so doesn't it balance out?
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

From the Fox article.
Dick Morris, a FOX News political analyst and the League of American Voters' chief strategist, conceptualized the advertisement and said its purpose was to "refocus" the debate on health care reform.

"I feel the whole debate on health care reform needed to be refocused on the issue of Medicare," he told FOXNews.com. "Most of the debate had been on issues of socialized medicine and cost. I felt that the impact of the legislation in cutting the Medicare program and enforcing rationing needed to be addressed."
So Morris is saying socialized medicine is okay for old people. It's just not okay for young people who are paying for the health care for the oldies.

Makes sense to me.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

Hockeynut! wrote:From the Fox article.
Dick Morris, a FOX News political analyst and the League of American Voters' chief strategist, conceptualized the advertisement and said its purpose was to "refocus" the debate on health care reform.

"I feel the whole debate on health care reform needed to be refocused on the issue of Medicare," he told FOXNews.com. "Most of the debate had been on issues of socialized medicine and cost. I felt that the impact of the legislation in cutting the Medicare program and enforcing rationing needed to be addressed."
So Morris is saying socialized medicine is okay for old people. It's just not okay for young people who are paying for the health care for the oldies.

Makes sense to me.
Dick Morris has to be one of the slim balls in the world. He came up with Triangulation, that led to nonsense policies, and only worried about getting elected.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

Is it possible to take Rush seriously?

http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/ ... cumcision/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

HomerPenguin wrote:
Ron` wrote:
HomerPenguin wrote:The Nazis were also against child labor and one of their 25 points reads "All citizens must have equal rights and obligations," which I guess makes me a Nazi because I agree with those things.
This is the quote homer that I was referencing. I don't have the patience of jobe or your apparent skills at quote editing to get the point accross. Child labor is not a bad thing, unless you are talking about chaining a kid to a loom. Thanks for pointing out my lack of quote skills and making me look like a fool. Typical elitism on your part imo though.
I don't think it's expecting too much in the way of "quote skills" that you append your response to the actual quote you're referencing. It's nearly impossible to know what you're talking about otherwise. And as far as "child labor" is concerned, in most contexts that term is taken to mean your "chaining a kid to a loom" example, not a kid working a part time job to help pay for things. Don't most kids still do that, or am I that old?
Kids don't normally do that in todays america, we shelter them and provide too much, though they should be experienced in reality imo. My children and myself worked for things we desired from about the age of 12... In my case it was more out of necessity, but kids still need to know what the real world is like before they graduate from college..
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

What do you mean by kids, teenagers? We live in a era that doesn't require children to work, or at least hard work, What reality do you want kids to see? Teenagers work part time jobs all over the country to pay for things, so do college kids. What could a 12 year old want that you needed to work for?
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

Shyster wrote:As a possible direction for this discussion, what does everyone think of the op-ed written by John Mackey, the CEO and founder of Whole Foods? http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 65070.html This opinion piece has apparently incensed many WF customers, and there are boycotts and protests underway. According to KDKA, some union is protesting the Pittsburgh WF today. Are his proposals that bad?
I generally agree with most of his op-ed. But you have to grandfather at least two generations of americans that were sold medicare and social security. They paid for it and now you can't just yank it. No I'm not part of those two generations... It has to do with accountability by the government to fulfill what they promised. during that time...
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

doublem wrote:What do you mean by kids, teenagers? We live in a era that doesn't require children to work, or at least hard work, What reality do you want kids to see? Teenagers work part time jobs all over the country to pay for things, so do college kids. What could a 12 year old want that you needed to work for?
Back away from the keyboard, this is between me and a long time friend here... Please respect our difference of opinion at this time. We can settle this like men or agree to disagree in a professional manner. You should have no interest in this discussion except to try to fish someone else in for your personal pleasure...
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Geezer »

doublem wrote:Is it possible to take Rush seriously?

http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/ ... cumcision/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's as possible as the extreme left wing sources you quote. No more,no less
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

Ron` wrote:
doublem wrote:What do you mean by kids, teenagers? We live in a era that doesn't require children to work, or at least hard work, What reality do you want kids to see? Teenagers work part time jobs all over the country to pay for things, so do college kids. What could a 12 year old want that you needed to work for?
Back away from the keyboard, this is between me and a long time friend here... Please respect our difference of opinion at this time. We can settle this like men or agree to disagree in a professional manner. You should have no interest in this discussion except to try to fish someone else in for your personal pleasure...
Ok, I'm slowly backing away. I don't know what you mean settle this like men, but okay. I'm just curious.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

Geezer wrote:

What does that mean? I didn't know extreme left wing sources were claiming to "mandate circumcision, and save our penises". I think Rush might be back on the sauce.
Last edited by doublem on Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fast B
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Fast B »

Ron` wrote:
What is this, the Wild West? "Settle this like men"? Do you subscribe to Internet Tough Guy Monthly?

I have no opinion on the subject of your "private" discussion, but if you don't want people to respond to your posts, don't post them on the public forum — that's what the private message function is for.

And don't worry, I have no interest in pistols at dawn.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Geezer »

Ron` wrote:
Shyster wrote:As a possible direction for this discussion, what does everyone think of the op-ed written by John Mackey, the CEO and founder of Whole Foods? http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 65070.html This opinion piece has apparently incensed many WF customers, and there are boycotts and protests underway. According to KDKA, some union is protesting the Pittsburgh WF today. Are his proposals that bad?
I generally agree with most of his op-ed. But you have to grandfather at least two generations of americans that were sold medicare and social security. They paid for it and now you can't just yank it. No I'm not part of those two generations... It has to do with accountability by the government to fulfill what they promised. during that time...
The problem with social secuity is it's the crown jewel of Dem social policy. It's kind of a giant ponzi scheme that is doomed to burst sometime in the future. There's no way my grandkids or kids will get what the system has promised and they're going to burdened with a massive tax bill to pay for the boomers. The Dems scorch the Republicans every 10 years or so when they occasionally get the stones to try and address the problem. The politicians are pushing the day of reckoning off into the future which is the one thing politicians are excellent at.
Medicare is a program that has failed to contain costs which greatly exceeded the rosy cost picture painted when it was enacted(a second thing pols are famous for). The sneaky approach that Obamacare is using claims that thet aren;t reducing benfits. What they ARE doing is reducing reimbursements in Medicare and Medicaid which absolutely will reduce care. Hospitals and Doctors will see less of these patients because ,as evil as Dems consider it, they need to operate in the black. In Mikey Moore's universe Doc's should work for 50 bucks a month like they do in Cuba.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Geezer »

doublem wrote:
Geezer wrote:

What does that mean? I don't know extreme left wing sources were claiming to "mandate circumcision, and save our penises". I think Rush might be back on the sauce.
Your question was "Is it possible to take Rush seriously".My answer was and still is that it is as possible to take him seriously as Olberman, the Daily Kos, Huffington Post and other Lefty Loons. I don't care about Rush (don't listen to him), whether he's on sauce, circumsicion,etc. People like to point out Rush]s excesses while pretending their own Lefty extremists are rational people. There was a chunk of the left that claimed the U.S. knew of 911 in advance or that Israel conducted the attacks.Those views or the views of Ward Church are much crazier than Rush's rants.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

Fast B wrote:
Ron` wrote:
What is this, the Wild West? "Settle this like men"? Do you subscribe to Internet Tough Guy Monthly?

I have no opinion on the subject of your "private" discussion, but if you don't want people to respond to your posts, don't post them on the public forum — that's what the private message function is for.

And don't worry, I have no interest in pistols at dawn.
We have been down this path many times in differences of opinion, if you don't like my choice of words, so be it... It has nothing to do with what you are implying....
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

Geezer wrote:The problem with social secuity is it's the crown jewel of Dem social policy. It's kind of a giant ponzi scheme that is doomed to burst sometime in the future. There's no way my grandkids or kids will get what the system has promised and they're going to burdened with a massive tax bill to pay for the boomers. The Dems scorch the Republicans every 10 years or so when they occasionally get the stones to try and address the problem. The politicians are pushing the day of reckoning off into the future which is the one thing politicians are excellent at.
Medicare is a program that has failed to contain costs which greatly exceeded the rosy cost picture painted when it was enacted(a second thing pols are famous for). The sneaky approach that Obamacare is using claims that thet aren;t reducing benfits. What they ARE doing is reducing reimbursements in Medicare and Medicaid which absolutely will reduce care. Hospitals and Doctors will see less of these patients because ,as evil as Dems consider it, they need to operate in the black. In Mikey Moore's universe Doc's should work for 50 bucks a month like they do in Cuba.
I disagree, the problem with social security was the elected officials transferred the excess when said individuals were working, paying in, to the general fund. General fund, which they subsequently threw around like dollar bills at the strip bar... Medicare is just pure mismanagement of the same ilk imo. But people paid into this and expected some return, backed by the government, since that was the promise. Funny how they want to start another program of the same basis and say it will be cost neutral.... Now when the generations that are retired cannot contribute to their political slush funds via the tax base etc or afford the costs of cutting off the promised benefits they thought they had accrued....the same ilk cut benefits in the interest of selling a new used car to a younger generaton ....