LGP Political Discussion Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Healthcare Reform Act of 2009

Post by doublem »

Guinness wrote:
MWB wrote: Your kids were taught by their teachers to vote a certain way or to think certain things politically? Again, I won't argue that some teachers may espouse certain things in a classroom that don't pertain to their subject, but I'd say that's a very small minority. Most teachers will try to teach kids to think for themselves while teaching their subject matter.
MWB, you've just elucidated the fundamental flaw of collectivism... there is no, "teachers". There may be fundamental similarities between most teachers, but the fact remains that there is no such thing as, "teachers"; just as there is no such thing as "black people"; "white people"; "rich people"; "poor people"; etc. Any identification of such groups is justifiably insulting to the individual.
Really? No teachers, We can just call them the big people teaching the little stupid people. How is it insulting to the individual for someone to be called a teacher? Not everyone has the same knowledge, we need people to "teach", whatever you want to call it, so others can be educated. People aren't born smart. If everyone is an expert, then nobody is.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

doublem wrote: Really? No teachers, We can just call them the big people teaching the little stupid people. How is it insulting to the individual for someone to be called a teacher? Not everyone has the same knowledge, we need people to "teach", whatever you want to call it, so others can be educated. People aren't born smart. If everyone is an expert, then nobody is.
I cast you out of the libertarian bubble.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

Guinness wrote:
DelPen wrote:
doublem wrote:http://www.politicalcompass.org/printab ... &soc=-6.26

That is mine. How do you get the image to come up? Oh well.
right click the image, select properties and past the link into an image tag:

Looks like doublem is hangin' in the libertarian bubble... :lol:
Libertarian? :scared: :scared: :scared:

Where did you rank? I bet it's next to Uncle Miltie.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Ron` wrote:I come from a long line of public educators including my offspring now. I fully understand the political system effects and it's implications on continued employment. Quit dodging the reality of public education, let alone the philosphical nonsense professed at the collegiate level.
So in this "reality" we live in.... the country is filled with teachers who teach that "liberal" is the way to go. We've also got a media that talks about how great "liberals" are nonstop. Where did all the "conservatives" come from? Oh, I know.... they were the ones that were smart enough to think for themselves, to fight upstream. The silly "liberals" just follow along with whatever they are told to do, from school-age on. Who is elitist again?
Last edited by MWB on Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

doublem wrote:

I ranked well east of you, and well south of "Uncle Miltie". However I think these questions are not the best... sorry Delpen.

Kinda blows your theory of Milt Friedman speaking for libertarians, tho', doesn't it?
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

ok I know you all want to know where this cave dwelling troll lands on this test....
Last edited by Ron` on Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Guinness wrote:
MWB wrote: Your kids were taught by their teachers to vote a certain way or to think certain things politically? Again, I won't argue that some teachers may espouse certain things in a classroom that don't pertain to their subject, but I'd say that's a very small minority. Most teachers will try to teach kids to think for themselves while teaching their subject matter.
MWB, you've just elucidated the fundamental flaw of collectivism... there is no, "teachers". There may be fundamental similarities between most teachers, but the fact remains that there is no such thing as, "teachers"; just as there is no such thing as "black people"; "white people"; "rich people"; "poor people"; etc. Any identification of such groups is justifiably insulting to the individual.
I really don't understand what you're getting at, other than I guess there are no "people" either.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

MWB wrote:
Ron` wrote:I come from a long line of public educators including my offspring now. I fully understand the political system effects and it's implications on continued employment. Quit dodging the reality of public education, let alone the philosphical nonsense professed at the collegiate level.
So in this "reality" we live in.... the country is filled with teachers who teach that "liberal" is the way to go. We've also got a media that talks about how great "liberals" are nonstop. Where did all the "conservatives" come from? Oh, I know.... they were the ones that were smart enough to think for themselves, to fight upstream. The silly "liberals" just follow along with whatever they are told to do, from school-age on. Who is elitist again?
Who said anything about liberal, I was commenting purely on the actual impact of the educational systems on our political system. And conversely it's impact on those that espose such doctrine based on their continued employment or lack of touch with reality at the collegiate level.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

MWB wrote: I really don't understand what you're getting at, other than I guess there are no "people" either.
Are you the same as all other teachers? Are you "teacher no. 249342"?
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

Guinness wrote:
doublem wrote:

I ranked well east of you, and well south of "Uncle Miltie". However I think these questions are not the best... sorry Delpen.

Kinda blows your theory of Milt Friedman speaking for libertarians, tho', doesn't it?
No, because libertarianism and neo-liberalism are basically the same thing. The usual understanding of anarchism as a left wing ideology does not take into account the neo-liberal "anarchism" championed by the likes of Ayn Rand, Milton Friedman and America's Libertarian Party, which couples social Darwinian right-wing economics, I'm against that.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Guinness wrote:
MWB wrote: I really don't understand what you're getting at, other than I guess there are no "people" either.
Are you the same as all other teachers? Are you "teacher no. 249342"?
Actually, I was 249344.... close though. I get your point.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

http://www.politicalcompass.org/printab ... &soc=-3.13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

Political compass:

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -4.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.64

bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

i didn't make it work right but the link is above.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

bhaw wrote:i didn't make it work right but the link is above.
I tried for ya, but couldn't either...
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

Back to the health care debate. This is a part of health care that very few people talk about.

http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2009/0 ... f_anxiety/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I wonder how much the increase in use of these drugs has added to insurance premiums?
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by HomerPenguin »

Economic Left/Right: -5.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.64

HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by HomerPenguin »

Shyster wrote:
HomerPenguin wrote:I'm still waiting to hear where "redistributing land to the poor" comes into the equation. Sounds like we were redistributing land from undesirables to the master race.
I know from other sources that the transfer went from wealthy Jews and other undesirables to poor Germans and other members of the Volk. Nazi Germany operated a welfare state. I read more than Wikipedia.
Of course, that would be racial redistribution, not socio-economic. Wealthy members of the Volk did quite well for themselves, no?
Shyster wrote:
I never said they were. Again, you're the one trying to pound the Nazis into a tight ideological box here, not me.
So you don't know where they go, but you disagree with me that they belong largely to the political left? That sure seems to be what you are saying. How do you classify them, then? Or do you believe Nazism is ineffable?
Ineffable is a bit of a stretch, but I do believe that fascism in general, and Nazism in particular, is more complicated than a single word.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by HomerPenguin »

Ron` wrote:
HomerPenguin wrote:The Nazis were also against child labor and one of their 25 points reads "All citizens must have equal rights and obligations," which I guess makes me a Nazi because I agree with those things.
This is the quote homer that I was referencing. I don't have the patience of jobe or your apparent skills at quote editing to get the point accross. Child labor is not a bad thing, unless you are talking about chaining a kid to a loom. Thanks for pointing out my lack of quote skills and making me look like a fool. Typical elitism on your part imo though.
I don't think it's expecting too much in the way of "quote skills" that you append your response to the actual quote you're referencing. It's nearly impossible to know what you're talking about otherwise. And as far as "child labor" is concerned, in most contexts that term is taken to mean your "chaining a kid to a loom" example, not a kid working a part time job to help pay for things. Don't most kids still do that, or am I that old?
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Ron` wrote:
MWB wrote:
Who said anything about liberal, I was commenting purely on the actual impact of the educational systems on our political system. And conversely it's impact on those that espose such doctrine based on their continued employment or lack of touch with reality at the collegiate level.
I'm really not sure what you're commenting on. What "reality of public education" am I dodging?
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Economic Left/Right: 9.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.85

Pfffft. Hippies...
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dagny »

Assuming this is the same quiz that I took on my fb a few weeks ago, I agree that the questions sucked. I had to choose the "closest" to my actual answer for most of them.

Here is what I got. I thought it was pretty funny, and "center-right social libertarian" just looks like one big oxymoron, to me.

Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

I had NO idea...

eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »