LGP Political Discussion Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Healthcare Reform Act of 2009

Post by Ron` »

PensFanInDC wrote:I also think this says a lot about this thread...

lol, that's a serious problem then, since every wikipedia entry has to be referenced to a media sponsored source.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

Well, to start you have to you have to reexamine the trading policies of this country, maybe "free" trade isn't the best idea and neo liberal policies haven't really worked that well. We should look at an updated version of this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_S ... ic_plan%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Ron` wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:I also think this says a lot about this thread...

lol, that's a serious problem then, since every wikipedia entry has to be referenced to a media sponsored source.
media sponsored is quite vague
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Corvidae wrote:I need surgery on my jaw and I can barely chew anymore. I have no insurance because I could never find steady work after 4 years of college. I'm 25. I'm screwed. The healthcare system is not OK.
That's why doctors made straws.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

Can we stop the Nazi talk, it is really disgusting.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

doublem wrote:Can we stop the Nazi talk, it is really disgusting.
You want us to stop the Nazi talk? You're a Nazi!!!! Freedom of speech, fascist. You're worse than Hilter.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

PensFanInDC wrote:
Ron` wrote:lol, that's a serious problem then, since every wikipedia entry has to be referenced to a media sponsored source.
media sponsored is quite vague
What I was trying to say was every wikipedia post is supposedly checked against sources. Even if it is true, unless a media sponsored source can be tied to it, it is immediately stricken... Typically that means a news agency or government source.....
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

bh wrote:So in your opinion, why are healthcare costs skyrocketing?
I think there are a multitude of reasons. Do I know every reason? Nope. I’m not an expert on the heath care industry, and neither—for that matter—is the President or our representatives in Congress. But I do have personal experience with the regulatory costs of medicine because one of my main practice areas is health law. My physician clients spend thousands of dollars every year on health care regulatory compliance. Health care regulations are a constantly-shifting target. Many of the regs are completely counterintuitive and outlaw practices that are completely legal in just about every other industry on earth. Not even the government fully understands what they’re writing. True example: last year Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services proposed regulations on independent diagnostic testing facilities (IDTFs) that were mutually exclusive. In reg package 1, CMS proposed that ITDFs cannot share the same space with any other Medicare-enrolled entity.

[Aside here: this reg went into effect. An IDTF—a business that does medical diagnostic testing—basically can no longer share the same street address with any other medical entity. One of my clients operated an IDTF that shared a single-floor building with another practice. They shared the same waiting room at the front. My client used the rooms at the back of the building, and the other practice used the rooms in the front. A common hallway led to both halves, but they were otherwise separate. I had to advise my client to wall off the hallway, knock a new door in the back of the building, and put in a separate waiting room. Did this save “the health care system” any money? Nope. Your government at work.]

In reg package 2, CMS proposed that physician practices who also own and operate diagnostic equipment (such as a MRI or ultrasound) also have to register separately as IDTFs and follow the IDTF rules. See the problem? Under both of these, as soon as a physician practice registers separately as an IDTF, it cannot share space with itself. Shortly after CMS released reg package 2, I was on a conference call sponsored by the American Health Lawyers Association that featured some CMS reps, and they were asked about this point. It was clear they had no clue their own regulations were incompatible. A couple of weeks later, they quietly rescinded the second proposal.

Doctors have absolutely no idea what is in those regulations. They’re so freaking complicated that even lawyers who don’t regularly practice in the specialty have no clue how they work. For example, if one medical practice wants to lease a room from another, that lease has to meet six different standards or it’s illegal. And by illegal, I mean big-fines-and-jail-time illegal. Compared with Medicare/Medicaid, participating in private insurance like Highmark is easy. I can't believe people want more government in this area, or they expect more government will make it cheaper. The only people who are going to benefit from greater government involvement in health care are regulatory lawyers like me. It's going to guarantee me lifetime employment.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

doublem wrote:Can we stop the Nazi talk, it is really disgusting.
I find the condescension he displayed towards his constituents disgusting. Seeing the POTUS compared to Hitler doesn't really bother me anymore. Im used to it:

etc etc etc
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

Thanks Shyster for the post.... That is more factual information than one can glean from a pure internet search for sure....
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

The difference is one is proposing a health care bill and the other undid half the bill of rights. Clearly, Bush is no Hitler but he didn't exactly follow the rule of law.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

doublem wrote:The difference is one is proposing a health care bill and the other undid half the bill of rights. Clearly, Bush is no Hitler but he didn't exactly follow the rule of law.
:roll:
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

DelPen wrote:
doublem wrote:The difference is one is proposing a health care bill and the other undid half the bill of rights. Clearly, Bush is no Hitler but he didn't exactly follow the rule of law.
Did he not? The Bush adim. wiretapped it's own citizens, illegally detained prisoners, invaded a country based on misinformation at best, at worst flat out lies, tortured people, outed a CIA agent, mangled a disaster. I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting, and people in this country get upset about "government take over of health care", that is why this country is ridiculous.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by HomerPenguin »

pittsoccer33 wrote:I find the condescension he displayed towards his constituents disgusting.
Is there any particular evidence that she was his constituent?
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Post by Bob McKenzie »

doublem wrote:
DelPen wrote:
Did he not? The Bush adim. wiretapped it's own citizens, illegally detained prisoners, invaded a country based on misinformation at best, at worst flat out lies, tortured people, outed a CIA agent, mangled a disaster. I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting, and people in this country get upset about "government take over of health care", that is why this country is ridiculous.
Maybe you should move out of the US if this country is so ridiculous. Don't come back when you don't find the same freedoms elsewhere either.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

I find the condescension he displayed towards his constituents disgusting
I find that it is the only way to deal with insane people. How are you supposed to reason with someone that clearly doesn't want to debate issues? Enough of with bipartisan stuff, there is becoming two parties in this country, one group that lives in a fact based reality, and the other that lives in a feelings-gut based world, if crazy people want to make outrageous claims not based in reality, facts, or have any truth behind the, that way to deal with them, and mockery.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Bob McKenzie »

And one other thing, I worked for the government for quite some time. Trust me, you don't want them taking over anything. Anyone who has worked in the federal government or currently works there knows what I'm talking about.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

Clearly, the logical decision to make. I thought this was America, shouldn't we set our goals a little higher then the rest of the world?
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by neophool »

wtf is going on here
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

Bob McKenzie wrote:
doublem wrote:Did he not? The Bush adim. wiretapped it's own citizens, illegally detained prisoners, invaded a country based on misinformation at best, at worst flat out lies, tortured people, outed a CIA agent, mangled a disaster. I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting, and people in this country get upset about "government take over of health care", that is why this country is ridiculous.
Maybe you should move out of the US if this country is so ridiculous. Don't come back when you don't find the same freedoms elsewhere either.
Yeah, if you don't like our rulers trampling on your measly little rights, don't use your freedom of the speech to complain about it, move out!
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

doublem wrote:Clearly, the logical decision to make. I thought this was America, shouldn't we set our goals a little higher then the rest of the world?
Since the US's healthcare system is ranked lower than 36 other countries, I think "rest of the world" is a good place to start.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by bh »

doublem wrote:Clearly, the logical decision to make. I thought this was America, shouldn't we set our goals a little higher then the rest of the world?
What the heck does this mean? #1 what goals are you talking about? #2 how do you know what the rest of the world's goals are? #3 how is that statement logical?
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

Fun fact: Canada and Great Britain, two country's whose health-care systems people love to bash, both have higher life-expectancy rates than the U.S.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

bh wrote:
What the heck does this mean? #1 what goals are you talking about? #2 how do you know what the rest of the world's goals are? #3 how is that statement logical?
Umm, I was talking American exceptionalism that is always brought , and how we need to spread our ideas of freedom around the world, yet right here at home our rights were taken away , some example of leadership? And a vast majority of people were completely quite on this issue, but now that there might be health care reform by the big bad government, they moan about freedoms, give me a break.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Bob McKenzie »

Tico Rick wrote:
Bob McKenzie wrote:
doublem wrote:Did he not? The Bush adim. wiretapped it's own citizens, illegally detained prisoners, invaded a country based on misinformation at best, at worst flat out lies, tortured people, outed a CIA agent, mangled a disaster. I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting, and people in this country get upset about "government take over of health care", that is why this country is ridiculous.
Yeah, if you don't like our rulers trampling on your measly little rights, don't use your freedom of the speech to complain about it, move out!
The "ridiculous" comment was based at "and people in this country get upset about 'government takeover of healthcare, that is why this country is ridiculous."

Why is it wrong if people don't want the government to take over health care? What? I can't voice my opposition to it? Give me a break. Like I said, I used to work for the government. I wouldn't let the government manage a two car funeral let alone a health care system for 307,220,426 people.