Now include Houston in this mess...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
JDJ8766
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Now include Houston in this mess...

Post by JDJ8766 »

Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Henry Hank »

Well, this is the kind of thing that could worry me. I tend to think this is still posturing. If Houston was that interested, wouldn't they have expressed that weeks ago to make sure they could compete with KC? When the Pens say they're going to give them an answer in a month, you'd think that any other seriously interested party would have made an offer ASAP. I gather from the article that it's Lemieux and his group that have initiated this.
edog

Post by edog »

Henry Hank wrote:Well, this is the kind of thing that could worry me. I tend to think this is still posturing. If Houston was that interested, wouldn't they have expressed that weeks ago to make sure they could compete with KC? When the Pens say they're going to give them an answer in a month, you'd think that any other seriously interested party would have made an offer ASAP. I gather from the article that it's Lemieux and his group that have initiated this.
Yeah, they are definitely playing hardball now. This is so late in the game, it isn't funny.....
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Draftnik »

Alexander already has the non-NBA revenue from Toyota Center. The Pens can't be used as fulcrum to get the non-sports revenue because he already has it.

If the NHL wants to enter Houston, put a natural rival in place for Dallas, and let Detroit go to the Eastern Conference there could be compelling reasons to move the Pens, but the valuation will be less since the Pens would get more revenues/profits if they were taking over all revenues for all events in a new Pittsburgh arena.

The Pens should unleash an 11th hour firestorm. Rendell said they were posturing so they have to up the ante. Rendell checked and now it is the Pens turn to bet...
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

ALL IN!
DrBoni
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DrBoni »

I am very worried about the future of the Pens.

Though I'm not so worried about Houston. It definitely seems like Mario's the one scheduling an appointment with Les and the Toyota Center and not the other way around. I don't think Houston is prepared to try to make a bid for an NHL team, at least not in this process.

However, if Houston did or does show interest, then I'd be extremely worried.

Worried count = Appears four times in this post: 1X per paragraph + this line.
JDJ8766
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by JDJ8766 »

DrBoni wrote:I am very worried about the future of the Pens.

Though I'm not so worried about Houston. It definitely seems like Mario's the one scheduling an appointment with Les and the Toyota Center and not the other way around. I don't think Houston is prepared to try to make a bid for an NHL team, at least not in this process.

Channel four said that Houston has made an invitation to LG.
Rico81

Post by Rico81 »

All of this crap is frustrating as hell to sit back and watch! The very thought of the Penguins moving to Kansas City or Houston is just plain stupid! Kansas City already had a failed hockey experiment in the past. These type of things are exactly what kills the NHL's push for long term popularity. I'm not just saying this as a Pens fan. As a league you can't keep moving teams around and adding franchises in new locations just because there is a new arena waiting for a tennant...you have to have a fan base. The Penguins have a 40 year history, a strong fan base (even outside of Pittsburgh) and two cups. Moving the Pens is worse than moving North Stars. As a league you have to build a history. That is why the older franchises in the league have and will always have loyal fanbases...its generational. Look around the league and you already have a bunch of teams in markets where nobody cares about hockey....because there's no interest, no history, and no loyal fanbase, let alone strong youth programs etc. All of which Pittsburgh already has. DONT FREAKIN MOVE THE PENS!!!!!!!
DrBoni
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DrBoni »

JDJ8766 wrote:
DrBoni wrote:I am very worried about the future of the Pens.

Channel four said that Houston has made an invitation to LG.
You had me at Channel Four said... :D

Seriously, it's easy to read this Houston stuff and quickly come to that conclusion. "Action News" does have a history of getting the details wrong. But that still doesn't mean they're not right. They're just less than credible.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Draftnik wrote:Alexander already has the non-NBA revenue from Toyota Center. The Pens can't be used as fulcrum to get the non-sports revenue because he already has it.

If the NHL wants to enter Houston, put a natural rival in place for Dallas, and let Detroit go to the Eastern Conference there could be compelling reasons to move the Pens, but the valuation will be less since the Pens would get more revenues/profits if they were taking over all revenues for all events in a new Pittsburgh arena.

The Pens should unleash an 11th hour firestorm. Rendell said they were posturing so they have to up the ante. Rendell checked and now it is the Pens turn to bet...
The only thing that worries me is that the LG won't want to own the team and if Les Alexander gives them a great deal, it is just more revenue for him since he owns the Rockets and they get the other event revenues.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

ok Now I am very very worried.....I thought as long as Houston stayed out of this it would be fine, now I dont know.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Draftnik wrote:
Gotta give credit where credit is due. During this whole process I thought I had a pretty good handle on the facts and the posturing... but Draftnik, you've done your homework from the begining... most of what has happened was predicted by you as far back as last March/April.

Good job.

Oh BtW, check this mornings PG for Marios "Bet"
Guins

Post by Guins »

I will just warn you that this came from Bob (BOZO) Smizik last night on the nightly sportscall on the CW but he said he heard that Burkle wants to own the team after they get a new arena,Also Pompeani said he's heard that MC is REALLY working hard to buy this team behind the scenes & quietly
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Guins wrote:I will just warn you that this came from Bob (BOZO) Smizik last night on the nightly sportscall on the CW but he said he heard that Burkle wants to own the team after they get a new arena,Also Pompeani said he's heard that MC is REALLY working hard to buy this team behind the scenes & quietly
Did they say anything else? If the current ownership (ie. Burkle) wants to own the team, then I think that gives Pgh leverage. If they didn't care, and was looking for the highest selling price by getting great arena deals in multiple cities, then it would be up to whoever bid because they wouldn't have to live with it.

Did Pompeani say anything else about him believing a deal would be done, or is he starting to worry too.
Guins

Post by Guins »

newarenanow wrote:
Guins wrote:I will just warn you that this came from Bob (BOZO) Smizik last night on the nightly sportscall on the CW but he said he heard that Burkle wants to own the team after they get a new arena,Also Pompeani said he's heard that MC is REALLY working hard to buy this team behind the scenes & quietly
Did they say anything else? If the current ownership (ie. Burkle) wants to own the team, then I think that gives Pgh leverage. If they didn't care, and was looking for the highest selling price by getting great arena deals in multiple cities, then it would be up to whoever bid because they wouldn't have to live with it.

Did Pompeani say anything else about him believing a deal would be done, or is he starting to worry too.
newarena that's about all he said & then a caller brought what ML said in Dallas & said he didn't know about what he said,which would make sense since he was covering the Tomlin PC,and then he had the tape of him saying that at 11.I don't know if you or anyone else knows this but Burkle has a reputation as a HARD*** negotiator even though he's a big time Democrat he busts unions like kids break toys.So my belief is this is him playing bigtime big boy leverage games with the politicians
Guins

Post by Guins »

MarioLemieux1992 wrote:but couldn't MC buy out the other 60% of the pens and be the main owner after the deal is done..
yeah, he could if he had the money
spi
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by spi »

How can Houston compete with KC or Pittsburgh. The Rockets certainly will not donate half of their revenues, and if they are both owned by the same guy, I hope he plans on owning them forever. If he tries to sell one of the teams, the asking price will be very low due to the split revenues.

I think this is a two horse race, KC or the burgh. KC is the underdog.

A week ago if you would have asked me if I thought the deal would get done quickly I would have said yes, my only concern was that Rendell would try to show up the Pens. Low and behold, DB enters (***** Bag or Don Barden, whichever works). Had the pols proposed what they did without him there I think that it would not have insulted Lemieux but Ed put him on the spot.

The biggest thing that worries me, is these big time negotiators cardinal rule to get the deal you want is to be willing to walk away. After reading this mornings papers, it may just come to that b/c the politicians are all singing the same tune.
Last edited by spi on Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guins

Post by Guins »

MarioLemieux1992 wrote:
Guins wrote:
MarioLemieux1992 wrote:but couldn't MC buy out the other 60% of the pens and be the main owner after the deal is done..
yeah, he could if he had the money
he has 2 billion
Oh my bad I thought it was ML not MC, Got to have another cup of coffee :roll:
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

spi wrote:How can Houston compete with KC or Pittsburgh. The Rockets certainly will not donate half of their revenues, and if they are both owned by the same guy, I hope he plans on owning them forever. If he tries to sell one of the teams, the asking price will be very low due to the split revenues.

I think this is a two horse race, KC or the burgh. KC is the underdog.

A week ago if you would have asked me if I thought the deal would get done quickly I would have said yes, my only concern was that Rendell would try to show up the Pens. Low and behold, DB enters (***** Bag or Don Barden, whichever works). Had the pols proposed what they did without him there I think that it would not have insulted Lemieux but Ed put him on the spot.
The only way a move to Houston would work is if the owner of the Rockets is involved in buying the team. Otherwise it makes more sense to move them to Hamilton because at least the Pens would control all revenues.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Guins wrote:Also Pompeani said he's heard that MC is REALLY working hard to buy this team behind the scenes & quietly
Interesting. :lol:
edog

Houston....

Post by edog »

I found the following agreement through a Winnipeg web site. Shows further why Houston isn't really a viable option for Mario.....

http://www.hchsa.org/legal/arena_la.htm

Specifically pay attention to the NHL team rights versus the NBA team rights. This agreement is heavily slanted towards the Rockets.
Guins

Post by Guins »

Admin wrote:
Guins wrote:Also Pompeani said he's heard that MC is REALLY working hard to buy this team behind the scenes & quietly
Interesting. :lol:
Would you STOP dropping HINTS & spit it out MAN!!!!!!!! :lol: