Poll: Starting the rebuild and the core

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

How would these outcomes affect your desire for a rebuild?

Poll ended at Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:13 pm

Forget the rebuild now. I need to see all 3 of the core retire as Penguins.
7%
Start the rebuild...as long as Crosby retires a Penguin only.
56%
Start the rebuild...even Gretzky was traded. Team success over the core's happiness
22%
Start the rebuild...and the core's legacy is tarnished by demanding a trade.
No votes
I don't know. On the fence.
15%

Total votes: 27

FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Poll: Starting the rebuild and the core

Post by FLPensFan »

Dubas decides that it is time for, at a minimum, a retooling to get younger, and maybe even go into "sell everything but the core" mode. This would all start with Jake getting traded before the trade deadline this year.

What's your thoughts if one or all of the core decided they are not down for a rebuild, and demand to be traded.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Poll: Starting the rebuild and the core

Post by KG »

I would be fine with a rebuild. In a perfect world Sid retires a Pen, and he would buy-in and want to retire a Pen and retire as a true legacy great to play all with one team. If he doesn't then he can request a trade, same for Geno and Malkin.

I firmly believe that Sid/Geno/Letang will retire Pens. They've all won 3 cups. They have nothing to chase. They are very comfortable here. I expect them to just ride into the sunset here.

Same goes for Sullivan. He's very comfortable here. Hopefully Dubas get's ownership buy-in to start doing what's right for this organization long term, and not so distant future.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:51 pm I would be fine with a rebuild. In a perfect world Sid retires a Pen, and he would buy-in and want to retire a Pen and retire as a true legacy great to play all with one team. If he doesn't then he can request a trade, same for Geno and Malkin.

I firmly believe that Sid/Geno/Letang will retire Pens. They've all won 3 cups. They have nothing to chase. They are very comfortable here. I expect them to just ride into the sunset here.

Same goes for Sullivan. He's very comfortable here. Hopefully Dubas get's ownership buy-in to start doing what's right for this organization long term, and not so distant future.
It's time to start the rebuild. Look at the trajectory of the Red Wings. After losing the Cup to us 08-09, 3 of the next 4 years were 2nd round losses (with a 1st round loss mixed in there), then they had 3 first round losses, and now they've missed the playoffs the last 7 seasons. They are the poster child for waiting to long to start over.

I think this team has just as good of a chance to be a fringe playoff team without Jake here. Trade him for a first and some young assets. See if you can swap out Smith for someone like Vatrano, sell Ned for a 2nd or 3rd, make DOC-Poulin-Puustinen your 3rd line, with X-Eller-Acciari your 4th line.

Next year, maybe you have an outside chance at Yager and Pickering stepping in as well. Be smarter with your cap $$$. Stop overpaying average talent, and stop giving out NTC/NMC clauses like candy. Weaponize cap space to acquire more assets.

This team needs to change from a top heavy top 6 that is going to snipe you to death, to a well rounded top 9 where everyone has 15-20 goal potential.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

If handled properly, would the 3 players in question even know that they are included in a rebuild? All 3 get new linemates -- happens pretty much every year today.

If any of the 3 demand a trade, then work for the best return for the team. Trade them; don't hate them. They earned the accolades and respect.

For any true rebuild, Sullivan must go. He doesn't need to be involved with any youth and talent coming in the front door.

I picked option #2.
Ericf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ericf »

There seems to be a presumption in this poll that to start the rebuild Malkin and Letang at least must go. Not so. I want them all to retire as Pens if they did but I didn’t want Rust and Rakell and now Jake resigned. We could have started putting much younger wingers around Sid and Geno two years ago. That’s what I wanted. Stop looking to older UFAs. It didn’t happen. We’d have a better team now IMO. We can still start doing that for the next couple years they’re here
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Anyone not named Crosby is available for trade in my book. Start the rebuild and get younger. Sid should retire a Penguin, period. Age or not, he's still a top forward in this league and isn't collapsing like certain other forwards.

If he WANTS to leave, I would let him and try to get some pieces in a trade. I don't think he does though. Malkin and Letang have NMCs. But if there is a scenario to trade them, where they agree, push the button. We need a new core
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:39 am Anyone not named Crosby is available for trade in my book. Start the rebuild and get younger. Sid should retire a Penguin, period. Age or not, he's still a top forward in this league and isn't collapsing like certain other forwards.

If he WANTS to leave, I would let him and try to get some pieces in a trade. I don't think he does though. Malkin and Letang have NMCs. But if there is a scenario to trade them, where they agree, push the button. We need a new core
My thoughts exactly.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:59 am
Puck-Lurker wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:39 am Anyone not named Crosby is available for trade in my book. Start the rebuild and get younger. Sid should retire a Penguin, period. Age or not, he's still a top forward in this league and isn't collapsing like certain other forwards.

My thoughts exactly.
Agreed :thumb:
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

Before doing the rebuild, which I am all for, I think the first thing GMKD needs to try is a new coaching staff. Who knows, maybe someone can step in and change the dynamic, get the PP rolling, get the team inspired and believing. It’s stupid not to try! We won two cups using this tactic. History does repeat itself. Just sayin…..
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Dynasty1970 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:45 am Before doing the rebuild, which I am all for, I think the first thing GMKD needs to try is a new coaching staff. Who knows, maybe someone can step in and change the dynamic, get the PP rolling, get the team inspired and believing. It’s stupid not to try! We won two cups using this tactic. History does repeat itself. Just sayin…..
This needs to happen *this* season - and soon at that - for it to be viable. We're less than two months from the deadline. I don't think GMKD will do it.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:21 pm
This needs to happen *this* season - and soon at that - for it to be viable. We're less than two months from the deadline. I don't think GMKD will do it.
I agree, at least for this season.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Dynasty1970 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:45 am Before doing the rebuild, which I am all for, I think the first thing GMKD needs to try is a new coaching staff. Who knows, maybe someone can step in and change the dynamic, get the PP rolling, get the team inspired and believing. It’s stupid not to try! We won two cups using this tactic. History does repeat itself. Just sayin…..
Edmonton is 20-6 since making their coaching change. It usually does result in a "dead-cat bounce" as they say in the trade lol
DeHaven162

Post by DeHaven162 »

I said start the rebuild, but keep Crosby here. I am of the believers that Crosby will want to stay in Pittsburgh regardless. I think the Colorado to play with MacKinnon is overblown, or anywhere else for that matter. If anyone is, I think he is so similar in drive and how he thinks to Mario, and will want his legacy to be in Pittsburgh only.

But if you can move on from anyone else on this roster, go for it. If Malkin and Letang end up staying, fine, but the other pieces have to be moved. Rust, Guentzel, Rakell just have to go, and go soon to get as much value as possible.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:21 pm
The only thing here is, we've always went with the WBS coach as the replacement. From what I have heard from WBS fans...they hate him. They have been very disappointed that they have a much better roster this year and they still struggled mightily.

If Sullivan were to go, it would likely have to be Vellucci taking over. Hopefully his first action would be stuffing Reirden into a t-shirt cannon and launching him far away from our organization.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

Half of the NHL it seems needs a starting goalie. I would move Jarry and take back a bad goalie contract. The Pens would get a nice haul
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Is it weird that we are 10-3-3 in our last 16 and I still think we should trade Jake?? :o
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

I'll never understand the "keep this player no matter what" mindset.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Cow_Master66 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:17 pm I'll never understand the "keep this player no matter what" mindset.
Marketing plain and simple. 3 guys with what will likely be 20 years together is quite an accomplishment. My problem has never been the core, it's the other wasted money and trades for players they don't really need.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

Daniel wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:40 pm
Cow_Master66 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:17 pm I'll never understand the "keep this player no matter what" mindset.
Marketing plain and simple. 3 guys with what will likely be 20 years together is quite an accomplishment. My problem has never been the core, it's the other wasted money and trades for players they don't really need.
I get why the team would want it, but not sure why the fans do...Maybe I'm just not big on nostalgia. Trading Jake but keeping Malkin/Letang is silly to me.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Cow_Master66 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:41 am
I get why the team would want it, but not sure why the fans do...Maybe I'm just not big on nostalgia. Trading Jake but keeping Malkin/Letang is silly to me.
Today I disagree with you, because we're beyond this team competing for the next probably decade so might as well just witness history with the 3 playing together for two decades.

That said, I would have liked to have seem Malkin, Letang, and Rust traded before they were signed to those new contracts. That was a perfect time to do an almost complete retool around Crosby and get a ton of young assets. In theory, get a 1st line C and eventually push Crosby to 3C as he slows down (when will that be though, lol). I think that was a wasted opportunity to transition to the next generation, but here we are. Might as well just get something for Jake since I can't see a scenario where he even wants to come back since this team won't be that competitive.
ahawk9
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by ahawk9 »

I believe Rust's NMC is gone after year 3 of this contract. I'm not sure about Rakell's modified NMC, which is all 5 years but probably not too restictive. Those two would be nice additions for a contender at the deadline in a year or two (barring injury or complete collapse), so that money goes out, assets come in. Smith, hopefully, can be dealt in a hockey trade. Carter's off the books after this year, Petry off books after next season, and (the gift that keeps on giving) Jack Johnson's dead cap cash comes off after 2025-26. EK would be tradeable (I'd think) in a year or so if things look bleak. That's some more assets.

Despite the fact that I've felt they should've started a little retooling on the fly about 4 years ago, I think they can be in decent shape to compete in a few years if they manage their assets well (I know, that's a HUGE if considering what they've done recently), draft wisely (see previous brackets), and use some of that cap money to either sign a UFA or two who can make an impact.

All that said, if this staff is still here next season at this time, they might as well blow it up completely.
Dsmit570

Post by Dsmit570 »

Cow_Master66 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:41 am
THIS!!! I'd much rather see Jake on the ice for us than Malkin/Letang.
Those two have been a liability in some key plays over the last couple years.
I really think people are just riding on them for nostalgia...
If you want to retool, retool, but don't take out the people putting up the biggest numbers.
If you want to rebuild, rebuild, but that means everybody has a price and it is firesale season.