ATT&T Sportsnet going bankrupt

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

ATT&T Sportsnet going bankrupt

Post by Pitts »

Decided to start a thread on this to keep all info in one place. This might be a BIG problem real soon. This may impact Pens games on television as soon as March 31!

Here's the main story: https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/pittsbu ... ankruptcy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: ATT&T Sportsnet going bankrupt

Post by ville5 »

No mights. AT&T Sportnet will be no more as of March 31st.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

https://triblive.com/sports/att-sportsn ... al-sports/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2023 ... et-fallout" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ejd43
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ejd43 »

What are the options after March 31??

Just be able to stream on ESPN + without blackout restrictions??
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

A former LGP poster who I follow on other platforms states that the Pens have a contingency plan in place since they've known for 18 months now.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

Pitts wrote:A former LGP poster who I follow on other platforms states that the Pens have a contingency plan in place since they've known for 18 months now.
MLB reportedly have said they themselves will broadcast in any local areas affected for this season iirc.
The Pens have until the 31st to find another broadcast deal.
A big part of the reason Lemieux and Burkle wanted to buy the Bucs was so they could start a Pens/Bucs channel/streaming service. At least that's what Ive read.
Whether FSG and Nutting get together or FSG utilizes NESN somehow, who knows.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

ejd43 wrote:What are the options after March 31??

Just be able to stream on ESPN + without blackout restrictions??
Hopefully that’s the worst case scenario that the opponents broadcast won’t be blacked out any longer in Pittsburgh.

I haven’t seen what the rest of the markets using ATTSN or Ballys for that matter are going to do. There aren’t many more big RSN’s that go coast to coast in operations, might just be NBC at this point then some isolated regional networks that don’t leave general markets like NESN and MASN.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

What a cluster blank.

I hope Dan Potash will be retained here. I'm not joking- good guy.
ejd43
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ejd43 »

There’s a lot of people at att, potash, rob king, jay, Colby.

Are Steve meares and bob errey employed by ATT or the pens?
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

ejd43 wrote:There’s a lot of people at att, potash, rob king, jay, Colby.

Are Steve meares and bob errey employed by ATT or the pens?
I am thinking that ATT gives the team money as a production budget and they hire and pay people?
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

I see this as nothing but good. RSN's, and their associated horsecrap blackkouts, have needed to disappear for a while. Hopefully this will be the end of it, and everyone will have the same access to broadcasts regardless of where their house happens to sit on a map.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

I'm not sure I understand the bigger picture yet as to why this happened. Is this all related to the lack of a single centrally managed TV contract, like that of the NFL?

I know that I have not subscribed to a cable provider for the past couple of years because they were too expensive. Streaming the games through Reddit or Sportsurge was an absolute PITA, but it was preferable to a huge cable bill just to get the "sports package". Was that part of the problem (for AT&T Sportnet)?

Maybe someone can explain this to me.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

IntangibleBeer wrote:I'm not sure I understand the bigger picture yet as to why this happened. Is this all related to the lack of a single centrally managed TV contract, like that of the NFL?

I know that I have not subscribed to a cable provider for the past couple of years because they were too expensive. Streaming the games through Reddit or Sportsurge was an absolute PITA, but it was preferable to a huge cable bill just to get the "sports package". Was that part of the problem (for AT&T Sportnet)?

That first article I posted explains it a good bit. Basically ATT Sportsnet is a dinosaur that the New Warner company obtained by default when it bought ATT. Now the bigger company wants to cut money losing components and ATTSP is one of them. The regional sport networks are losing money in buckets now mainly because people want stteaming services now and ATTSP does not have one. Also of note, ATTSP is only operating in, I think, 4 regions around the country - so it isn't even a national scale operation. Pretty small-time in the bigger sports tv/streaming picture. It is time for them to go.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

Pitts wrote:
IntangibleBeer wrote:I'm not sure I understand the bigger picture yet as to why this happened. Is this all related to the lack of a single centrally managed TV contract, like that of the NFL?

That first article I posted explains it a good bit. Basically ATT Sportsnet is a dinosaur that the New Warner company obtained by default when it bought ATT. Now the bigger company wants to cut money losing components and ATTSP is one of them. The regional sport networks are losing money in buckets now mainly because people want stteaming services now and ATTSP does not have one. Also of note, ATTSP is only operating in, I think, 4 regions around the country - so it isn't even a national scale operation. Pretty small-time in the bigger sports tv/streaming picture. It is time for them to go.
Thanks! I always wondered why ATTSP was trying to force me to go to a cable provider.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

When PrimeStar was around, they offered Regional sports channels. I subscribed to WTAE(?) for Penguins games. A user could subscribe to multiple out of town sports channels in a package. When DirecTv purchased them, the package of sports channels grew, at an increased price. Speed TV had Pink's, in the package.

That went away.

Fox Sports West 1 an 2 debuted out West with Kings and Ducks games, and DirecTV increased the sports package. NHL package followed MLB, and NBA to include out-of-town games at a premium. I used to pay for the NHL package until the ROI didn't fit into the budget.

Which brings me to this: DirecTV is offering a reduction in price until seasons end, but do not have a disclaimer that they will show Penguins hockey due to the current situation.

The whole viewing games out of network is **** made possible by greedy networks.
stonewizard51
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stonewizard51 »

This might be a way of going back to Center Ice, assuming it doesn't blackout games too.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

stonewizard51 wrote:This might be a way of going back to Center Ice, assuming it doesn't blackout games too.
As a former 20 year user of center ice, it simply relies on the RSN feeds. So if there is no more ATT Pittsburgh, center ice won't have a feed to show. They could show the other team feed...until their RSN goes offline too.

Easier solution to me is to have ESPN+ take over short term, and the NHL creating their own full sports network to cover all teams games moving forward.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

FLPensFan wrote:
stonewizard51 wrote:This might be a way of going back to Center Ice, assuming it doesn't blackout games too.
As a former 20 year user of center ice, it simply relies on the RSN feeds. So if there is no more ATT Pittsburgh, center ice won't have a feed to show. They could show the other team feed...until their RSN goes offline too.

Easier solution to me is to have ESPN+ take over short term, and the NHL creating their own full sports network to cover all teams games moving forward.
Really, really short term is removing blackouts from the impacted markets and give them a month free trial to get eyes on the product.
BurghThing
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by BurghThing »

DelPen wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

Really, really short term is removing blackouts from the impacted markets and give them a month free trial to get eyes on the product.
I like the cut of your jib
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Blackouts are a thing of the past. With RSNs going belly-up, time for a new model, pay the subscription, watch any game from wherever you are!
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

Pitts wrote:Blackouts are a thing of the past. With RSNs going belly-up, time for a new model, pay the subscription, watch any game from wherever you are!
I think that has to be the direction this goes. It seemed to me that the only reason to have the blackouts was to force people to subscribe to something that carried the RSNs, but if the RSNs are no more, then blackouts should be no more as well.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

largegarlic wrote:
Pitts wrote:Blackouts are a thing of the past. With RSNs going belly-up, time for a new model, pay the subscription, watch any game from wherever you are!
I think that has to be the direction this goes. It seemed to me that the only reason to have the blackouts was to force people to subscribe to something that carried the RSNs, but if the RSNs are no more, then blackouts should be no more as well.
It was more to protect the RSN’s after they signed multi year deals to broadcast the teams. But the model doesn’t work anymore more because cable isn’t viable much longer.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

Guess this is one way to counteract.
BucciOT.Com

@Buccigross

·

Follow

NHL team coming to Atlanta again…stay tuned. Alpharetta. #wafflehouse #thirdtimeisacharm #like

BucciOT.Com

@Buccigross

·

Follow

Houston will also get an NHL team next time around with Atlanta..
(Those tweets are from Friday at 1:18 p.m. and 2:18 p.m.)
Crash66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Crash66 »

Woohoo. Another botched expansion draft coming. Can't wait.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

34 is just a really weird number. And keeping generally close to topic, Houston uses ATT for their RSN and Atlanta is serviced by Ballys which is going to be gone too so no RSN for them.

Maybe the NHL should sort this out, along with Phoenix, before the expand to Houston and the future Quebec City team that will start as a third Atlanta team.