The NHL to return to ESPN

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

The NHL to return to ESPN

Post by BigMcK »

The rumors and reports are true. ESPN is once again a broadcast home of the National Hockey League.

ESPN announced on Wednesday that it has agreed to a seven-year deal with the NHL that will see the league return to The Worldwide Leader for the 2021-2022 season. NHL games last aired on an ESPN network in 2004, although ESPN+ carries local broadcasts of games on its streaming service.

As was previously reported, ABC will broadcast four Stanley Cup Final series as part of the agreement. Twenty-five regular-season games will be featured on either ABC or ESPN each year. ESPN+ and Hulu "will be the home to 75 ESPN-produced exclusive telecasts per season," and NHL.TV will relocate to ESPN+.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nhl/articles ... 2_34317569" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: The NHL to return to ESPN

Post by brwi »

ESPN finally put it on their own website
https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/310 ... tform-deal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fast B
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Fast B »

Does this mean the return of Steve Levy?

CENTERING FEED!!!
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

BigMcK wrote:The rumors and reports are true. ESPN is once again a broadcast home of the National Hockey League.

ESPN announced on Wednesday that it has agreed to a seven-year deal with the NHL that will see the league return to The Worldwide Leader for the 2021-2022 season. NHL games last aired on an ESPN network in 2004, although ESPN+ carries local broadcasts of games on its streaming service.

As was previously reported, ABC will broadcast four Stanley Cup Final series as part of the agreement. Twenty-five regular-season games will be featured on either ABC or ESPN each year. ESPN+ and Hulu "will be the home to 75 ESPN-produced exclusive telecasts per season," and NHL.TV will relocate to ESPN+.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nhl/articles ... 2_34317569" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Here is some more information, looks like not an exclusive deal.

https://nypost.com/2021/03/09/nhl-espn- ... edicament/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Hoping the move to ESPN+ for NHL TV is included in the subscription. Paying $24.99 a month to stream it now. This part makes sense though since the current service is owned by Comcast.

Also hoping the games on ESPN are not blacked out on ESPN+.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

DelPen wrote:Hoping the move to ESPN+ for NHL TV is included in the subscription. Paying $24.99 a month to stream it now. This part makes sense though since the current service is owned by Comcast.

Also hoping the games on ESPN are not blacked out on ESPN+.
I already saw something that indicated NHL TV is done after this year, replaced by ESPN+. Regional and national broadcast blackouts will still apply.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Bob McKenzie reporting that NBC is completely out and Turner Sports is in for the rest of the package.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

DelPen wrote:Bob McKenzie reporting that NBC is completely out and Turner Sports is in for the rest of the package.
NBC sucks, but I use Fubo, which does not have Turner channels... so this kind of blows even more.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Sigwolf wrote:
DelPen wrote:Bob McKenzie reporting that NBC is completely out and Turner Sports is in for the rest of the package.
NBC sucks, but I use Fubo, which does not have Turner channels... so this kind of blows even more.
Sling Orange has both ESPN and TNT and is $35 a month. You would also need HBOMax possibly at I guess $10 and ESPN+ for I think $7 and it remains to be seen how much of CenterIce is moving over and at what cost.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

espn+ is 5.99 a month more on fubo.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

DelPen wrote:
Sigwolf wrote:
Sling Orange has both ESPN and TNT and is $35 a month. You would also need HBOMax possibly at I guess $10 and ESPN+ for I think $7 and it remains to be seen how much of CenterIce is moving over and at what cost.
Centre Ice has always been about the regional sports networks, which won't be going away anytime soon. But I can see where Centre Ice would not cover ESPN+.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

All of the out of market games that are not national broadcasts will be available on ESPN+ at no additional charge above the regular subscription. Penguins will be on ESPN one time, TNT 5 times (which might also be on HBoMax) and then local market games will always be blacked out, so in may case 3 hurricanes games.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

DelPen wrote:All of the out of market games that are not national broadcasts will be available on ESPN+ at no additional charge above the regular subscription. Penguins will be on ESPN one time, TNT 5 times (which might also be on HBoMax) and then local market games will always be blacked out, so in may case 3 hurricanes games.
Correct, as reported previously in this thread, Center Ice no longer exists. NHL Live is only for Canadian users, and NHL.TV is only for non-US/Canadian viewers. Regional sports networks still cover local markets, otherwise nationwide coverage is ESPN/TNT, or ESPN+. There will be no NHL specific pay-per-view option any longer.

As someone that has spent nearly 25 years routinely fighting with incorrectly applied blackout restrictions on Center Ice despite living well outside blackout zones, this is a welcome change. Hopefully this will signal the end of regional sports networks coverage of professional sports altogether and lead to people being able to view games regardless of where they live. Maybe not yet, but one can hope.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Just confirming that there won’t be any premium tier on ESPN+ to get all the games.
Posterboy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Posterboy »

So I've been an NHL.TV subscriber since moving to streaming platforms a few years ago. I assume they have removed the app from the stores? Since I have it installed already I noticed that while live game feeds are no longer accessible they are being archived for playback later, at least for preseason games that are being broadcast. I wonder if this will continue for the regular season and if it will contain the home and away feeds from the reginal networks. Does anyone know if that will be the case? I wonder if the ESPN+ games will end up on there as well. I know NHL.TV is still there for non-US and Canadian regions and I think you can still have a subscription. Can anyone shed any light on that? Any info is much appreciated.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Nothing to confirm but I do see home and away feeds for some preseason games, right now not a lot of teams were sending their crews on the road like today, the wings rebroadcast the Penguins stream. Looks like we will get both though. As far as replays, ESPN+ looks to have an on demand section with past preseason games too so you can watch past games. NHL Tv is dead, they don’t have the rights to stream anything now, ESPN+ is cheaper anyways.