Calling all grammar/spelling police

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Calling all grammar/spelling police

Post by Humperdink »

From Psychreg:

"These people are utterly annoying; not just because they’re pointing out mistakes, but for the added conceit of thinking they’re doing you a favour by giving you a free grammar lecture."

"According to seminal study done in 2016, people who are more sensitive to written typos and grammatical errors are indeed the kinds of jerks we already suspect them to be."

"If you are going to discredit an entire argument or a person based on spelling alone that means you are incredibly shallow and not intelligent enough to grasp complex concepts. Which just means that person you were insulting is probably more times smarter than you are."

https://www.psychreg.org/grammar-nazis/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Calling all grammar/spelling police

Post by Daniel »

Humperdink wrote:From Psychreg:

"These people are utterly annoying; not just because they’re pointing out mistakes, but for the added conceit of thinking they’re doing you a favour by giving you a free grammar lecture."

"According to seminal study done in 2016, people who are more sensitive to written typos and grammatical errors are indeed the kinds of jerks we already suspect them to be."

"If you are going to discredit an entire argument or a person based on spelling alone that means you are incredibly shallow and not intelligent enough to grasp complex concepts. Which just means that person you were insulting is probably more times smarter than you are."

https://www.psychreg.org/grammar-nazis/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
To me it isn't about the help, we all make mistakes and I for one don't mind being corrected. BUT.....calling out people in public forums rather than private message is just rude. My problem with calling people out is twofold, other than the fact that it's just rude. First, the entire conversation devolves into a lesson in grammar. Unless it's an English grammar forum, it's off topic. Second, chances are it's a typo or an autocorrect or a complicated name that people just don't care to look up. If one truly makes a grammatical mistake that makes the post hard to understand simply ask what they mean. No need to EVER have a one word post with "Maatta" or "Schultz". It's just rude and arrogant.

The bottom line is that people know you're talking about Maatta (Matta or whatever) and the grammar mistake rarely affects the knowledge of what the poster is trying to get across.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Calling all grammar/spelling police

Post by ville5 »

Daniel wrote:
Humperdink wrote:From Psychreg:

To me it isn't about the help, we all make mistakes and I for one don't mind being corrected. BUT.....calling out people in public forums rather than private message is just rude. My problem with calling people out is twofold, other than the fact that it's just rude. First, the entire conversation devolves into a lesson in grammar. Unless it's an English grammar forum, it's off topic. Second, chances are it's a typo or an autocorrect or a complicated name that people just don't care to look up. If one truly makes a grammatical mistake that makes the post hard to understand simply ask what they mean. No need to EVER have a one word post with "Maatta" or "Schultz". It's just rude and arrogant.

The bottom line is that people know you're talking about Maatta (Matta or whatever) and the grammar mistake rarely affects the knowledge of what the poster is trying to get across.
I woodn't mind getting Toffeeli.