Don Cherry Fired

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Don Cherry Fired

Post by Daniel »

https://www.tsn.ca/rogers-sportsnet-ann ... -1.1396208" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So many people lose their jobs because people have thin skin.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Don Cherry Fired

Post by Jim »

I might have to start using "you people" in my normal repertoire.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Jim wrote:I might have to start using "you people" in my normal repertoire.
I wonder how many of "those people" even got offended rather than just a virtue signaling moron who happened to hear it.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Jim wrote:I might have to start using "you people" in my normal repertoire.
It worked for Don Cherry for 38 years. Until it didn't.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

He has said countless stupid things in his career. It figures he gets fired when he says something that is absolutely correct...
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Sigwolf wrote:He has said countless stupid things in his career. It figures he gets fired when he says something that is absolutely correct...
But those people just get so angry about being singled out.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Funny how Canada's Prime Minister, that would be Justin Trudeau, was able to overcome old racist photos and retain his job.

If the unrepentant Cherry would change his tune, agree to go to re-education camp at say, UC-Berkeley, become spokesman for Dick's Sporting Goods, and then go transgender, he might get rehired.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

The only thing that could make things worse, in this situation, is Ron MacLean's "handling" of the situation on Saturday. Don Cherry has said countless politically incorrect things throughout his career. Countless uncomfortably racist, uncomfortably nationalist, things that have been overlooked by the network, the nation of Canada, the hockey world as a whole, and not insignificantly, the man sitting right next to him. Yes, Ron MacLean. How many of those previous infractions did you see Ron speaking out against in the past? Yet when today's PC environment decides Don has to go essentially because he had the nerve to say his nation's veterans were not being treated with the proper amount of respect, that is the same time Ron decides he can no longer stand behind him? Yes, it was crassly worded. Guess what? That has been Cherry's schtick since day one. Does anyone think his apparel or mannerisms have been developed for anything other than shock-value?

If someone in the CBC wanted to be rid of Cherry, more power to them, but to remove him for that reason is really inexcusable. The US and Canada both need to make a lot of progress in the proper handling of their veterans.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Sigwolf wrote:The only thing that could make things worse, in this situation, is Ron MacLean's "handling" of the situation on Saturday. Don Cherry has said countless politically incorrect things throughout his career. Countless uncomfortably racist, uncomfortably nationalist, things that have been overlooked by the network, the nation of Canada, the hockey world as a whole, and not insignificantly, the man sitting right next to him. Yes, Ron MacLean. How many of those previous infractions did you see Ron speaking out against in the past? Yet when today's PC environment decides Don has to go essentially because he had the nerve to say his nation's veterans were not being treated with the proper amount of respect, that is the same time Ron decides he can no longer stand behind him? Yes, it was crassly worded. Guess what? That has been Cherry's schtick since day one. Does anyone think his apparel or mannerisms have been developed for anything other than shock-value?

If someone in the CBC wanted to be rid of Cherry, more power to them, but to remove him for that reason is really inexcusable. The US and Canada both need to make a lot of progress in the proper handling of their veterans.
I do not get HNIC so my exposure (ha) to Don Cherry has been limited. I am guessing his "countless uncomfortably racist" comments occurred many moons ago. Otherwise, the woke demographic would have taken up residence in the CBC offices prior to Cherry's current transgression.

Regarding MacLean, he had three choices: 1) Stand up for Cherry and get canned; 2) Castigate Cherry while on the air with him. He would at least have shown some modicum of principle. Cherry would have responded in kind, which would have made for good TV; or 3) Go to re-education camp and grovel like a worm.

He chose door #3.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Steve »

Sigwolf wrote:The only thing that could make things worse, in this situation, is Ron MacLean's "handling" of the situation on Saturday. Don Cherry has said countless politically incorrect things throughout his career. Countless uncomfortably racist, uncomfortably nationalist, things that have been overlooked by the network, the nation of Canada, the hockey world as a whole, and not insignificantly, the man sitting right next to him. Yes, Ron MacLean. How many of those previous infractions did you see Ron speaking out against in the past? Yet when today's PC environment decides Don has to go essentially because he had the nerve to say his nation's veterans were not being treated with the proper amount of respect, that is the same time Ron decides he can no longer stand behind him? Yes, it was crassly worded. Guess what? That has been Cherry's schtick since day one. Does anyone think his apparel or mannerisms have been developed for anything other than shock-value?

Cherry worked for Sportsnet though, not CBC right? I wonder if he was employed by CBC, if it would have played out differently?

I've always like Maclean, but I could only watch about a minute of his unscripted commentary or whatever it was called, too cringe-worthy.

I've always been mixed on Cherry, hes entertaining for sure - I enjoyed some of his old-schools stories and I thought it was great that he recognized military and police, but I didn't enjoy the whining about US hockey players/teams/fans and of course Europeans. I remember thinking once, as I was watching him trash Ovechkin for one of his suspensions, "well, at least he'll leave Malkin alone in this one". Wrong, he came back on and trashed Geno for something too ha.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Steve wrote:

Cherry worked for Sportsnet though, not CBC right? I wonder if he was employed by CBC, if it would have played out differently?

I've always like Maclean, but I could only watch about a minute of his unscripted commentary or whatever it was called, too cringe-worthy.

I've always been mixed on Cherry, hes entertaining for sure - I enjoyed some of his old-schools stories and I thought it was great that he recognized military and police, but I didn't enjoy the whining about US hockey players/teams/fans and of course Europeans. I remember thinking once, as I was watching him trash Ovechkin for one of his suspensions, "well, at least he'll leave Malkin alone in this one". Wrong, he came back on and trashed Geno for something too ha.
I've always been indifferent to Cherry, he's entertaining for sure but I don't look for his videos. My issue with his firing is this. He's been this way for decades and anyone who watches him knows this. If someone is offended by what he said chances are they were watching to get offended. If they accidently got to the channel when he was on and felt he said something offensive, change the channel. Stop whining about something that offends you and ignore it. If the ratings drop he'll get removed but whining about something when millions enjoy him says more about the whiner than it does about Don Cherry.

If no one complained and the executives decided to virtue signal then they're morons.