The Trainwreck that is NHL Officiating

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

The Trainwreck that is NHL Officiating

Post by IntangibleBeer »

I've been watching hockey since 1984. And every year I come away shaking my head at the p***-poor officiating, especially in the playoffs.

Everyone knows that there is one set of rules for the regular season and when playoffs come along, the rule book gets torn in half. The pages citing interference, hooking, clutching, grabbing, and punching (mostly) opponents go right in the trash.

The Penguins have been the victim of a number of these - the not-called offsides by the Flyers, the no-hooking call (coutesy of Jagr) by the Bruins. Even when technology is used - video review on goals and offsides - the refs manage to screw it up. :slug:

No doubt you've all seen the call that gave the Sharks a 5 minute power play and propelled them into the next round.

The NHL issued an apology for the call. :roll:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... 27c49663ed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seriously? :face:

When, if ever, do you think the NHL will take the implementation of consistent, non-Neaderthal officiating seriously?

My guess is never. What do you think?
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: The Trainwreck that is NHL Officiating

Post by Daniel »

IntangibleBeer wrote:I've been watching hockey since 1984. And every year I come away shaking my head at the p***-poor officiating, especially in the playoffs.

Everyone knows that there is one set of rules for the regular season and when playoffs come along, the rule book gets torn in half. The pages citing interference, hooking, clutching, grabbing, and punching (mostly) opponents go right in the trash.

The Penguins have been the victim of a number of these - the not-called offsides by the Flyers, the no-hooking call (coutesy of Jagr) by the Bruins. Even when technology is used - video review on goals and offsides - the refs manage to screw it up. :slug:

No doubt you've all seen the call that gave the Sharks a 5 minute power play and propelled them into the next round.

The NHL issued an apology for the call. :roll:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... 27c49663ed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seriously? :face:

When, if ever, do you think the NHL will take the implementation of consistent, non-Neaderthal officiating seriously?

My guess is never. What do you think?
If I'm Vegas, I say bleep you to the apology. It's meaningless unless you replay the last 10 minutes of the 3rd period. I think it'll lead to challenges on injuries, which would also be dumb. Have automatic replay for an injury that causes the whistle to blow and be done with it. The refs spend time in a huddle discussing it, why not add video to the huddle. :face:
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by interstorm »

I think the wild difference in how a game is called during the postseason and regular season also has a lot to do with why regular season success is not much of an indicator for playoff success (fun read: https://thehockeywriters.com/its-truthi ... n-the-nhl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Interesting stat from that: "Over the last five NHL playoff seasons, there have been 75 series played. Higher seeds have won 39 series, while 36 have been won by the lower seed. The winning percentage (for the higher seeded team) is slightly better than a coin toss, at 52%").

Honestly I'd love to see the NHL adopt a zero-tolerance policy similar (for the most part) to the NFL. Once a whistle blows, refs should hand out penalties for anyone who touches another player (similar to how flags are thrown for any after play contact in football). The game doesn't need that. I don't want "mindgames" or players wasting their energy on things that don't (immediately) impact the scoreboard. I understand, and love, the physical nature of the game but I'd say everything should be performed in-game. Doing so would immediately eliminate after whistle cheapshots and allow officials (and replay) to focus on in-play issues (which are dealt with horribly now).
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

The McAvoy Head shot that got a 2 minute minor had me scratching my head. That was a god awful hit and for him to only get a 2 minute minor was a joke. shoulder on chin.

The NHL still holds the injury as the main factor in dishing out the punishment.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

no name wrote:The McAvoy Head shot that got a 2 minute minor had me scratching my head. That was a god awful hit and for him to only get a 2 minute minor was a joke. shoulder on chin.

The NHL still holds the injury as the main factor in dishing out the punishment.
With technology the way it is, if the refs feel they need to huddle they should be using an ipad to confirm what they missed. If they're huddling, it's for an obviously high impact situation (goal, penalty, etc.) might as well get it right.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

The train wreck (NHL officiating) surfaced in Beantown last night. Disgusting.
Cu11en
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Cu11en »

And I’m sure the train will be staying in Boston as they continue to get away with “hockey plays” while the Canes get whistled for subtle bumping every time they get a lead.
Faubert5
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Post by Faubert5 »

Cu11en wrote:And I’m sure the train will be staying in Boston as they continue to get away with “hockey plays” while the Canes get whistled for subtle bumping every time they get a lead.
At it again in San Jose. Won't take away a San Jose power play but will put the Blues down by two. Granted he broke a stick with a slash but call the interference and that 5 on 3 doesn't happen.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

SJ and STL might try for a 8-7 opener. Real sloppy play on both sides.
Southern Fan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Southern Fan »

Hand pass game winner for the Sharks in overtime. Sharks getting all their favorable calls out of the way so they can get swept in the finals.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

The nhl- toronto video room must get bigger. For a questionable goal, the league should review.
Especially an overtime goal. It's unfair to allow bad goals stand when technology is easily available.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Southern Fan wrote:Hand pass game winner for the Sharks in overtime. Sharks getting all their favorable calls out of the way so they can get swept in the finals.
Seriously. Between that game 7 gift vs Vegas and now a clear hand pass on the OT GWG. Something's not right.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Watching the latest iteration of NHL officiating leads to believe it's not a trainwreck. A trainwreck is one time event. This is never ending malfeasance. There are too many people involved for it to be a conspiracy. Not sure what the answer is.
Southern Fan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Southern Fan »

It’s pathetic listening to nhl officials on nhl radio stammering around about the calls impacting Vegas, Colorado and the Blues. Funny there is one common denominator to all these calls.

Colin Campbell actually used the Matt Murray non cover up in game 6 against Nashville as an example of the refs not getting it right.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Southern Fan wrote:It’s pathetic listening to nhl officials on nhl radio stammering around about the calls impacting Vegas, Colorado and the Blues. Funny there is one common denominator to all these calls.

Colin Campbell actually used the Matt Murray non cover up in game 6 against Nashville as an example of the refs not getting it right.
Pens gone, but never forgotten. :roll:
Going forward it will be interesting to watch the sharks/blues games. How will the refs "make up" this potential series changing call.
Cu11en
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Cu11en »

penny lane wrote:
Southern Fan wrote:It’s pathetic listening to nhl officials on nhl radio stammering around about the calls impacting Vegas, Colorado and the Blues. Funny there is one common denominator to all these calls.

Pens gone, but never forgotten. :roll:
Going forward it will be interesting to watch the sharks/blues games. How will the refs "make up" this potential series changing call.
First Blues' hand-pass is on the house.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by netwolf »

The majority of teams (or at least the most influential ones) are fine with how it is, so it doesn't change. If enough of the right people wanted it changed, it would happen overnight. All you have to do is look at Brendan Shanahan's brief tenure as head of DoPS. He was hammering people early, people complained, he backed way off and shortly thereafter, left that post.