I fixed my dead cell phone... with my oven?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

I fixed my dead cell phone... with my oven?

Post by netwolf »

One day last week, my LG G3 powered off out of nowhere. I tried to turn it back on, but it would display the LG logo, then shut off again. I read of some people having similar issues due to a battery that went bad. I bought a new one, but no change.

I stopped by a small repair shop in Robinson called UBREAKIFIX. The guy there told me there was a known issue with LG using crappy solder on the CPU and that I was out of luck. I did some research on that and found a Reddit post where a guy had fixed that issue by taking the motherboard out of the phone and baking it in the oven.

The phone was out of warranty, so I had nothing to lose. I found a teardown guide that walked me through taking it apart, put the board in a Pyrex dish, and baked it for 10 minutes at 360. After it cooled down, I put everything back together, and it powered right up! The heat basically melts the solder a bit, then it cools down and the connections are sold again.

From what I've read, it's a temporary fix, but at least I was able to get some pictures off of it. Now I just need it to last until my new device gets here.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: I fixed my dead cell phone... with my oven?

Post by Humperdink »

That's cool (so to speak).

I was fishing with my grandson and was helping him land a fish. I bent over and my iPhone 5 fell out of my pocket into a foot of water. It died. I dried it out in the sun then did the rice in the bag trick. It powered on, but remained in "mute". So I put it on my car's defroster vent and drove it around town with full heat/full blower on for a solid 1/2 hour. It came back to life, no issues for well over a year now.
djlm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: I fixed my dead cell phone... with my oven?

Post by djlm »

I've done this with my old HP notebook. It was a known issue back then with this particular line of notebooks that the GPU's solder would end up "cracking". Like yourself the suggestions was baking or a heatgun, which is less damaging to the other areas, like this one:

Some people advised against putting in the oven also due to the chemicals that could be released, I myself don't like to put anything in the oven that's not food, including new skates.

Oh, my notebook ended up dying again some three months later, so it's very probable the issue will arise one more in the near future. It's been said this is a fix to get it working, not a permanent solution.