Donald Trump, what is going on in the US?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Donald Trump, what is going on in the US?

Post by pekkasteele »

So what is really going on? How can he get so many votes? Really?

As the rest or the world looks at what is going on with a bit of amusement, and, at the same time, scared eyes, people are actually voting for him.

I think most here are in the forum are smart and intelligent people, mostly since you all are rooting for the best team of course. How do YOU feel about what is going on.

Here overseas we only see the nutcases being interviewed that think that if Trump gets president, that the US will get more respect in the world, so, what do real, sane Americans think?
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Donald Trump, what is going on in the US?

Post by Humperdink »

The voters have given the R's control of the House of Representatives and the Senate, ostensibly to stop the current administration from governing by fiat. The R's have chosen instead to go along to get along. The voters who put these clowns in control of the legislative branch have said enough. So a populist candidate emerges and the disaffected have latched on to his message. The elite R's in DC created this monster and now are terrified. As are the D's, I should add.

As an aside, regarding respect from overseas : Who respects the US CURRENTLY? Putin? Hafez el Assad? ISIS? Netanyahu? Chinese Premier Li Keqiang as he builds islands in the disputed South China sea? Iran's Ayatollah Rock 'n Rolla? North Korea's Kim Jong-un as he launches missiles?
Last edited by Humperdink on Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2015/10/ ... -year.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is where the status quo has led this country. A shakeup is needed. Trump is talking the talk.
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pekkasteele »

Humperdink wrote:The voters have given the R's control of the House of Representatives and the Senate, ostensibly to stop the current administration from governing by fiat. The R's have chosen instead to go along to get along. The voters who put these clowns in control of the legislative branch have said enough. So a populist candidate emerges and the disaffected have latched on to his message. The elite R's in DC created this monster and now are terrified. As are the D's, I should add.

As an aside, regarding respect from overseas : Who respects the US CURRENTLY? Putin? Hafez el Assad? ISIS? Netanyahu? Chinese Premier Li Keqiang as he builds islands in the disputed South China sea? Iran's Ayatollah Rock 'n Rolla? North Korea's Kim Jong-un as he launches missiles?
Well, respect is earned, not by force or fear. The "respect" a Trump-lead US would get is the same as a Kim Lung-Un lead North Korea is currently having, just sayin.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

pekkasteele wrote:
Humperdink wrote:The voters have given the R's control of the House of Representatives and the Senate, ostensibly to stop the current administration from governing by fiat. The R's have chosen instead to go along to get along. The voters who put these clowns in control of the legislative branch have said enough. So a populist candidate emerges and the disaffected have latched on to his message. The elite R's in DC created this monster and now are terrified. As are the D's, I should add.

Well, respect is earned, not by force or fear. The "respect" a Trump-lead US would get is the same as a Kim Lung-Un lead North Korea is currently having, just sayin.
Confused by your comment. Kim Jong-Un was not not supposed be: A) Have the nuclear weapon and B) Launching test missiles. At least according to a previous administration who gave them millions as a bribe. Now history is repeating itself in Iran.

If you don't think fear instills (grudging) respect, you need to spend a bit more time studying mid-east behavior. Recall Khadafi gave up his nuclear program under a not-so veiled threat from a different administration .... only to be abandoned by the current gang. Cost him life and some semblance of stability in Libya.
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pekkasteele »

Humperdink wrote:
pekkasteele wrote:

Confused by your comment. Kim Jong-Un was not not supposed be: A) Have the nuclear weapon and B) Launching test missiles. At least according to a previous administration who gave them millions as a bribe. Now history is repeating itself in Iran.

If you don't think fear instills (grudging) respect, you need to spend a bit more time studying mid-east behavior. Recall Khadafi gave up his nuclear program under a not-so veiled threat from a different administration .... only to be abandoned by the current gang. Cost him life and some semblance of stability in Libya.
Well, I mean, having a crazy person as your president/king/emperor might have some countries fear you, yes, but respect you? no. And if someone like Trump can be elected president of the US, at least I will lose a bit of hope for humanity.

The US will not be a BETTER place to live after his time was up, it would be far worse, at least in my opinion. But hey, as long as you inflict fear in other countries and chase those pesky mexicans/muslims and others that are not like you out of the country I guess some will be happy.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

pekkasteele wrote: Well, I mean, having a crazy person as your president/king/emperor might have some countries fear you, yes, but respect you? no. And if someone like Trump can be elected president of the US, at least I will lose a bit of hope for humanity.

The US will not be a BETTER place to live after his time was up, it would be far worse, at least in my opinion. But hey, as long as you inflict fear in other countries and chase those pesky mexicans/muslims and others that are not like you out of the country I guess some will be happy.
The Mexican/Muslim comment is a red herring.

The US has not become a better place in the last 7+ years. The US debt continues into the stratosphere. The rate of increase is slowing, but the debt is still increasing every minute. Freedoms are being eroded. The Patriot Act was to be repealed in 2009. Instead it is stronger with more surveillance on US citizens. The Affordable Care Act is not. People on fixed income garner virtually no interest income as rates are <1%. Close to 100 million working age Americans are not in the workforce. Student debt exceed exceeds $1 trillion (it will not be paid). Inner city murder rates are setting records (YTD killed in Chicago 111 and it's only mid-March). Those pesky guns. It has not been a glorious 7 years.

Respect? Middle eastern cultures only respect strength - Syrian chemical weapons/red lines (but I repeat myself). The EU? Respect from the EU is last thing I would be concerned with. The EU will implode as they deal with horrific internal social issues. The term Brexit is coming to the forefront. Other countries will follow. The economically weaker EU countries will be forced to go it alone.

PS: I am not a Trump supporter.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

pekkasteele wrote:So what is really going on? How can he get so many votes? Really?

As the rest or the world looks at what is going on with a bit of amusement, and, at the same time, scared eyes, people are actually voting for him.

I think most here are in the forum are smart and intelligent people, mostly since you all are rooting for the best team of course. How do YOU feel about what is going on.

Here overseas we only see the nutcases being interviewed that think that if Trump gets president, that the US will get more respect in the world, so, what do real, sane Americans think?
There are a lot of ignorant people here with racist tendencies. Don't forget, this is the same country that re-elected GW Bush.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Being European myself, I'd like to invite the OP to take a long look at the current and recent political landscape on our continent and then reconsider whether finger-pointing really is appropriate.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Willie Kool wrote:
pekkasteele wrote:So what is really going on? How can he get so many votes? Really?

There are a lot of ignorant people here with racist tendencies. Don't forget, this is the same country that re-elected GW Bush.
There are also a lot of intelligent people here with racist tendencies, as well as ignorant people with no racist tendencies.

I am always amazed as to how quickly the R word is pinned on someone without knowing their heart. People do this without seeing their volunteer efforts or charitable giving.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

Humperdink wrote:
Willie Kool wrote:There are a lot of ignorant people here with racist tendencies.
There are also a lot of intelligent people here with racist tendencies, as well as ignorant people with no racist tendencies.
Very true, and I guess any of them are just as likely to support him.
Humperdink wrote:I am always amazed as to how quickly the R word is pinned on someone without knowing their heart. People do this without seeing their volunteer efforts or charitable giving.
I don't think you can really argue there isn't a racist undertone to his campaign.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Willie Kool wrote: I don't think you can really argue there isn't a racist undertone to his campaign.
That is not my argument. My argument is that people are labelled. Labelled, actually slandered, by people who do not have a view into their heart or who have not seen their actions.

But in response to your question, I saw Cruz on the Arizona/Mexico border today. Is he a racist?
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Steve »

Trump is collecting votes by putting down minorities. Hillary is collecting votes by pretending to care about minorities.
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dagny »

I'm a Libertarian (real kind, not tea party) and I gave Trump an honest chance at the start, as I'm also sick of the system and the political machine. At this point, it's embarrassing that he's gotten so many votes. BECAUSE Trump can't legally do any of the crap he's sprewing, I think Ted Cruz is a worse evil (a theocrat wearing a Constitutional "scholar" suit), but that's a whole other thread. :lol: I'd say the following article pretty much sums up my feelings....
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brian-joy ... 59002.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

An excerpt:
What does this say about Donald Trump? Not much, aside from what we already knew: Donald Trump is a very intelligent man. He knows how to push Americans’ buttons. He knows how to tap into our worst fears and deepest prejudices. He knows that in a crowded field of GOP candidates, he has to go big or go home — even if that means coming off like an ignorant, racist bigot who makes deliberately false, misleading, and insulting statements.

What does it say about America? A lot. It says we’re becoming an increasingly stupid nation, stupider by the day. Sorry folks, but that’s the cold, hard truth. If you think Donald Trump will ban all Muslims from entering the United States — if you think it’s even legal to do that — you’re not a patriot who’s concerned about homeland security. You’re just stupid. If you think most Mexicans coming to the United States are rapists, you’re stupid. If you think Megyn Kelly was on her period the night of the GOP debate, you’re stupid (and sexist).

In short, if you’re stupid enough to believe that a man with an Ivy League degree thinks it’s legal and constitutional to create Muslim databases, then yup, you’re stupid. And if you’re stupid enough to not realize that this is all by design — that Donald Trump is playing you for the fools he believes you are — then you’re stupid, too.

Check the latest polls, folks. Trump’s act is working. He’s not just betting that America is stupid, he’s proving it. Every time he makes a ridiculous, outrageous, outrageously stupid comment, his polling numbers go up. Why would a smart guy like Donald Trump stop making stupid comments? Making stupid comments is good for him!

I know, I know... I sound like an elitist, don’t I? Insinuating that the American people are stupid? Suggesting a presidential candidate is playing us all for fools? But remember, folks — I’m not the guy with the Ivy League degree. I’m not the guy flying on private jets, with a net worth of $4 billion. I’m not the guy making deliberately false, racist, misleading statements, assuming you’re stupid enough to fall for them. Donald Trump is that guy.

Trump doesn’t just believe America is stupid; he’s banking on it.

And so far, it’s working.
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pekkasteele »

Gaucho wrote:Being European myself, I'd like to invite the OP to take a long look at the current and recent political landscape on our continent and then reconsider whether finger-pointing really is appropriate.
I fully agree, we have a big right-wing movement in Europe, and they got many votes. We have our problems to, but, in the LGP forum, there are more Americans, and it is the only forum I'm on that have many Americans on it, so I asked the question here, about Trump. For EU politics, I have other forums.

And in most EU countries there kind of other problems, not one single candidate. It is the left-wing vs. right-wing debate that is polarizing more and more countries. And me, myself, that are more of a, well, I would call it responsible liberal, I don't fit in at any side in the EU right now.

Also, I asked from the beginning because, basically what is said in the article Dagny posted.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

dagny said: "....I think Ted Cruz is a worse evil (a theocrat wearing a Constitutional "scholar" suit) ....."

I strongly think if you have the leader of the executive branch adhering to the constitution, it does not matter a twit whether said person is a theocrat, an atheist or an agnostic. It's what happens when they deviate from the constitution that all heck will break loose.

The current occupant, with his: "if congress does not act, I will" comment, has set the table for the next guy/lady to go further. And if happens to be a guy like Trump, whose ego barely squeezes into his body, look out. The D's who were cheering Obama as he was picking and choose which laws to enforce, apparently thought they would control the White House in perpetuity. They better hope that's the case.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

As the rest or the world looks at what is going on with a bit of amusement
> In answer to your first question: Trump calls for a pause in Muslim immigration. Gets support.

> In response to first statement: Brussels is not feeling amused this morning.

Edit: Belgium closed their borders this AM.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Two things I find amusing about politics; specifically the recent presidential race.

1, It is becoming more common for the people who oppose Trump and his ideas to actually be more annoying that the man himself.
2, The argument/tactic either side (republican or democrat) use that starts with first giving their opinion on something and then follows it with the phrase "you are an intelligent person, what do you think?" is using a tactic that was very popular in the 3rd grade. Let me give you an example. "I don't understand how so many Americans can sit and watch their flat-panel TV's, drive one of their two vehicles every day, sit on their leather furniture while so many poor African children go every day wondering when their next meal is coming. However, for the people in this room, I know first hand of the kind of generosity that exists and for that I have hope for this world. Pekkasteele, you are a generous man. How much money can you afford to give today for these unfortunate children?"
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pekkasteele »

lemieuxReturns wrote:Two things I find amusing about politics; specifically the recent presidential race.

1, It is becoming more common for the people who oppose Trump and his ideas to actually be more annoying that the man himself.
2, The argument/tactic either side (republican or democrat) use that starts with first giving their opinion on something and then follows it with the phrase "you are an intelligent person, what do you think?" is using a tactic that was very popular in the 3rd grade. Let me give you an example. "I don't understand how so many Americans can sit and watch their flat-panel TV's, drive one of their two vehicles every day, sit on their leather furniture while so many poor African children go every day wondering when their next meal is coming. However, for the people in this room, I know first hand of the kind of generosity that exists and for that I have hope for this world. Pekkasteele, you are a generous man. How much money can you afford to give today for these unfortunate children?"
First off, I was not talking cash, and what I give or don't give is really irrelevant. Actually I hate those that have to tell the world when they gave a homeless money, or gave to charity or an organisation, since, then it feels they did not give because of the need, but to be able to tell, so they get "likes" on Facebook or something like that. But, yes, I give, I support Medecins sans frontiers and UNHCR if you must know. And I live in the country in EU that have accepted most Syrian and Afghan refugees per kapita last year.

We to, as many other countries in the EU have a "Trump", a right-wing that wants to stop the refugees to come here etc but he got 12%, was not close to winning the election.

I can understand that people want to show their disapproval off how your government have handled things, but can you REALLY think that having Trump as a president for you, will really improve whats wrong? Do you REALLY truly believe that? It is one thing to want a change, and I can understand that you want that, but ... Trump? Well, at least he could join Putin and ban gay marriages, they actually seems to have the same view on many topics, like gender equality, imigrants and refugees etc.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

The Art of National Suicide. (Victor Davis Hanson)

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... edge-abyss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pekkasteele »

Humperdink wrote:The Art of National Suicide. (Victor Davis Hanson)

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... edge-abyss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
To me, the question of Trump or no Trump is not about migration or politics, it about the person. I would not want a man like him to be a head of state, with his view on people different from him.

And the difference between Sweden and France/Belgium is that the razist parties is bigger in France/Belgium. We only had one terrorist here, and he only blew himself up.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Let me clear, I am not a Trump supporter. I don't trust the guy, his values are not my values, but views in Syrian refugees is spot on. I am a supporter of the theocrat mentioned up-thread.

Unfettered immigration will be the death knell for Europe. People who refuse to assimilate into a culture, whether Europe or here, leads to balkanization. That is not a plus.

The reason the US has been so successful up until recently, is that immigrants coming to here have by and large assimilated (E pluribus unum = out of many, one). That is not occurring in Europe. Heck there are "no-go' areas in Europe. Police steer clear of certain areas, at least a bomb goes off somewhere.

I would have no problem with accepting M. E. refugees providing they are vetted. That is not achievable in the current turmoil. To suggest otherwise is foolhardy.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Mango Salsa »

I think there's a large segment of the US population that's had it with political correctness and Trump represents a break away from that. They're tired of playing nice.

As a Trump hater I was hoping that the people who support him wouldn't bother to vote, then I read that record numbers of people are changing their affiliation from D to R in my county as the primary approaches. Im seriously getting worried. This guy cannot be our president!!

https://beavercountian.com/content/dail ... y-election" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pekkasteele »

Humperdink wrote:Let me clear, I am not a Trump supporter. I don't trust the guy, his values are not my values, but views in Syrian refugees is spot on. I am a supporter of the theocrat mentioned up-thread.

Unfettered immigration will be the death knell for Europe. People who refuse to assimilate into a culture, whether Europe or here, leads to balkanization. That is not a plus.

The reason the US has been so successful up until recently, is that immigrants coming to here have by and large assimilated (E pluribus unum = out of many, one). That is not occurring in Europe. Heck there are "no-go' areas in Europe. Police steer clear of certain areas, at least a bomb goes off somewhere.

I would have no problem with accepting M. E. refugees providing they are vetted. That is not achievable in the current turmoil. To suggest otherwise is foolhardy.
Now, here I can agree with a lot of what you say, and to make it clear, I'm not opposing what Trump says, his politics, because to me, it is not politics, HE is not a politician to me, and he says what people wants to hear, we, at least some. My problem is, that people take his pugilistic propaganda and actually want to put him in the WH.

But the problem in Europe can not occur in the same way in the US no matter who is in the WH. The refugees could barely cross the Aegean sea, how could they ever cross the Atlantic? There is NO chance that you ever will face the same amount of refugees over there, except, maybe if there would be a war in south America with all countries there ... or someone invaded Canada.

How to handle the refugees in Europe, it is the only thing our politicians are talking about now. We cant close our borders like you can over there, there are to much land to cover. But the solution is not to build fences, the terrorists will get in anyway. But this is a whole different discussion and not the one I was looking for with this tread.

I was just wondering how ANYONE can actually think that Trump can make the US a better place. No matter what he says, I for one can't take it searingly.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Logic 101

Mark Steyn (2009) : "The second thought that strikes you is that the ever-longer lines to get into the (airport) "secure" area are now the least secure area in America. Why not blow up the security line? You could kill as many people as on an airplane, and inflict more long-term economic damage."

Mark Steyn (Mar. 29, 2016): "Clearly we need a secure zone outside the secure zone - maybe, say, outside the concourse. So everyone has to crowd on the sidewalk. And then when they blow that up we can move it back to the perimeter of the airport."

The EU (this week): "Security scanners could be installed at the entrances to airports, under proposals to be discussed next week in the wake of the Brussels terrorist attack, the Telegraph understands. The case for installing a security perimeter outside of airport arrival halls will "definitely" be examined at an emergency meeting of experts that has been called for March 31, according to EU sources." (Humperdink: "What would we do without experts?")

Marl Steyn (this week): "If we're going to move the security perimeter back, why don't sovereign nations move it back to their own national borders by not importing and expanding the high-risk population in which terrorism incubates?"

http://www.steynonline.com/7495/i-was-o ... njoying-it" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;