Fire department billing question

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Fire department billing question

Post by itissteeltime »

A few weeks ago we had a little (kind of big) oil fire in my apartment. The fire was gone quickly but we still wanted to call the fire department to make sure everything was safe. I recently got billed (big bill!) from the fire department. My question is, what kind of insurance covers this? Is it renters insurance, or maybe regular health care insurance? I have medical under blue cross if that helps.

Correction - The bill is for a 2 minute ambulance to the hospital -- $1900. The ambulance drivers assured me they would bill this as "an emergency" and health care would cover it. They didn't have my health care so they billed me the 1900 and I sent in all my health care info. Any idea what I'll have to pay out of pocket?
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Fire department billing question

Post by ville5 »

As most people have different insurance carriers and policies, they can't answer. You need to consult your healthcare coverage guide. It should tell you what is and isn't covered as it pertains to your particular coverage. If it's not in there, consult your healthcare provider.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

keep in mind that once they have your insurance info the bill will probably go down considerably since they likely have a negotiated rate with the insurance company.
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by itissteeltime »

Thanks guys, since they called it a medical emergency my health care covers it 15-100 dollar copay thank goooooddddd.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

:thumb:
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

Definitely take some time to understand your health care plan. It can help make things less stressful and decisions easier if you know what you owe for any one thing. I took my wife in for surgery the other day and another lady was in billing at the same time as us and had no idea she didn't have to pay for the whole surgery. She had put it off for a long time to save up for it then found out she only owed a small fraction. I mean, awesome that she now has some extra cash, but hopefully it wasn't something that could impact her longer term due to putting it off.