Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Your irrational pet peeves

Post by Three Stars »

In this thread, we list the seemingly harmless things in life that drive us to the brink of insanity.

I'll start off with two.

1) The use of LOL in any situation except literally laughing out loud.

2) "Supermarket Zombies" - People in supermarkets who stand and/or park their carts in ways that block entire isles, and who then spend minutes chatting and/or staring at shelves while a traffic jam builds up on either side. Master level zombies will look up at the building chaos...and then go right back to what they're doing.

Vent away.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

Ice chewing bothers me when someone else is doing it. I love to do it though.

People that ride the SEPTA trains annoy me to know end, but they are all idiots.
Fulci
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Fulci »

1) Slow drivers in the fast lane. There's a reason why there are "slower traffic keep right" signs on most highways.

2) Backtracking in ANY and ALL situations. I don't care if I'm walking or driving, it drives me crazy and is cause for my friends to point and laugh at me frequently.

3) Gary Busey. This one's so irrational that I don't even feel the need to justify it.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Three Stars wrote:1) The use of LOL in any situation except literally laughing out loud.

LOL

:pop:
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Ben Klingston »

I don't know how to explain this one, or how to correct it, but people in the office that talk in a hushed tone/whisper that are more annoying than if they were just talking in their normal voice. Most of the time, they're not talking about work (thus the whispering), which makes it even more annoying when you're busting your ass. It basically evolves into a massive whispering sounds that annoys the hell out of me. It's weird, because a normal conversation at normal volumes doesn't annoy me and I work better when I have music or something on in the background. But the whispering really gets to me. I'm weird.

It's getting to the point where I'm gonna have to either a) shut my office door (making me look like an a-hole boss who doesn't want to be bothered) or b) go postal.
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

canaan wrote:
Three Stars wrote:1) The use of LOL in any situation except literally laughing out loud.

LOL

My revenge will be swift, brutal, and yet highly amusing to onlookers.

canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

pet peeve:

madonna's existence
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dagny »

People who say nu-CU-lar, instead of nuc-LE-ar. I actually have an involuntary twitch when I hear it.

I have to run some errands now. I'm sure I'll have more pet peeves to post about when I return.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by npv708 »

dagny wrote:People who say nu-CU-lar, instead of nuc-LE-ar. I actually have an involuntary twitch when I hear it.

I have to run some errands now. I'm sure I'll have more pet peeves to post about when I return.

i agree...but i absolutely love the word strategery...
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Daniel87 »

Poor table manners drives me insane.

Chewing with mouth open
Slirping any kind of noodle
obnoxious burping
blowing your nose at the dinner table...etc.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Women talking on their cell phones in public bathrooms~ the ladies room.
IrishEyes
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by IrishEyes »

People who take FOREVER at the only teller window that's open at the bank, when I know it'll take me about 30 seconds to deposit my check and get the receipt. This is especially annoying when I have to go to the bank on my lunch hour.

And jackhole drivers... but I don't think that's irrational.
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by tjand72 »

"Your" means that you possess something. "You're" means you are.

An apostrophe "s" denotes possession unless it's (it is) "its". It does not make something plural, such as "Welcome to the Smith's".

I'm done.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

people who walk through a store and all of the sudden put the brakes on. Reminds me of a player flying down the wing, coming to a sudden stop and waiting to see who isn't covered. They can stop for whatever reason: .10 off a 72 oz bag of Doritos, a friend that they haven't seen since earlier in the week, or they think they might have lost their kid until they realize they have the kid on a leash.

the traffic on Scalp Avenue from 4-6pm. I don't know what it is. I'm usually out of work by 3:30, so I miss it most of the time. But on the rare occasion that I'm running late and need to stop for something on Scalp, it's a mess. If you stop somewhere and plan on having to get across four lanes of traffic (two on each side), you might as well forget it.

Undercooked wings. If they don't crunch or if they feel even slightly "rubbery", send 'em back. Don't try to justify how they were cooked, just take them back. There's a reason I asked for them well done. Either cook them right or refund my money.
Why Not Us
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Why Not Us »

White people trying to be black. No explanation.
Jerez
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Jerez »

letsgopens.com posts that offer no information or entertainment value.

:twisted:
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Slurping, pointless and endless babble, pidgeons, German football commentators, pedestrians (when I'm on my bike), cyclists (when I'm on foot), car horns, Internet Explorer, lost keys, hands-free cell phones, running out of milk or coffee or both, ticket machines, the lack of ticket machines, having no change to buy a ticket, the smell of bacon, when i tell people I'm a vegetarian and they go "oh, I couldn't do that, I would starve", people who ask me why I'm vegetarian, when I tell people I'm vegetarian and they give me something with bacon in it and say "oh, but it's only bacon", people who think Eric Clapton is a genius but have never heard of Robert Johnson, smartasses like myself, and so on and so on and so on.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

Businesses that alter the correct spelling of a word; especially a local small business, like a "Kevin's Kar Wash", for instance. Dude, it's not witty. In fact, I won't patronize your business because it seems you're either a dolt who can't spell, or you think I'm a dolt who'd be enticed by your fancy little "switch-a-roo".

I hope this one doesn't offend anyone, but: "supposably" is not a word. It's, "supposedly".

And this last one (before people begin to think me a crazed grammar-policeman), the use of the word "license" as though it's plural. As in, "I can't find my license. Have you seen them?" Gah! I'm getting a belly ache just describing it here. IT'S A SINGLE, LAMINATED CARD. IT ISN'T A "THEM"!

:)
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

Gaucho wrote:Slurping, pointless and endless babble, pidgeons, German football commentators, pedestrians (when I'm on my bike), cyclists (when I'm on foot), car horns, Internet Explorer, lost keys, hands-free cell phones, running out of milk or coffee or both, ticket machines, the lack of ticket machines, having no change to buy a ticket, the smell of bacon, when i tell people I'm a vegetarian and they go "oh, I couldn't do that, I would starve", people who ask me why I'm vegetarian, when I tell people I'm vegetarian and they give me something with bacon in it and say "oh, but it's only bacon", people who think Eric Clapton is a genius but have never heard of Robert Johnson, smartasses like myself, and so on and so on and so on.
Well done. Also:
hands-free cell phones
Indeed.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Couple of days ago I met this girl on the street, she's looking and smiling at me and says "Hey, what's up, how are you?". I reply, rather sheepishly, "I'm sorry...?" and she says "Oh, sorry, I'm telephoning."
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

I can't stand the following:

People that don't use turn signals.

People that don't clean up their messes.

People that litter.

People that root for Philly sports teams.

Using terms "FYI" and "high-level".
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Bowser »

People who refuse to drive the speed limit toward, inside and out of a tunnel. If you fear the dang warp speed insanity, find another route.

Women who put on their makeup in the morning while driving to work.... yes, I've been bumped from behind in my car from stupid women.

Men driving a sports car convertible under the speed limit, like Troy Polamalu says 'pansy'

Can't stand people that litter or leave a mess in a public bathroom

My wife taking 15 minutes to order her food (seriously, drives me UP the wall), though I should've known this after 1st date took her 45 mins
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Member »

Why Not Us wrote:White people trying to be black. No explanation.
You'd hate me then.
Jerez wrote:letsgopens.com posts that offer no information or entertainment value.

:twisted:
You'd hate me then.
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by LeopardLetang »

old women that move EXTREMELY slowly in every way. don't get me wrong. i'm not talking about ones that have a cane or struggle to walk otherwise. what i'm talking about are women that act like everyone has all the patience in the world and absolutely nothing else to do. one lady that comes into the store here, i almost feel sick when i see her. the time it takes her to smoothly and patiently reach for her purse strap. then she'll peel it off her shoulder and slowly lift it up to the counter. she'll sigh and lick her lips. then she'll set her purse strap down in the center of her purse and pat it a few times. then she'll start telling me that she has a lamp just like the one behind me. see, when her husband was in the forces they had to move to chicago

the greatest part about secretly hating these women is that they are the NICEST possible people you could ever meet. and they know how nice they are. but they have no concern for brevity. and it makes it a guilty please to be upset with them since they don't think there could be any reason why anyone would be upset with them.
tluke53
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by tluke53 »

- being late. I hate being late to anything even if it not important. My wife is late for everything and drives me freaking crazy. She then makes up all these excuses for her behavior that are really her fault. (example Making breakfast took longer than expected, our daughter was misbehaving, etc., etc., etc.) Being late shows that you don't care enough to be on time and it also shows that you are not prepaired. I hate people that are constantly late.

- my writing ability. I can't help but constantly make stupid grammar mistakes, typo's, and spelling errors. Even when I proofread I can not catch them. Why? What the F*** is wrong with me? I have a good job and college degree yet I can't write the simple things. I think that I a may be somewhat dyslexic (Sp?).

- People who insult other people in message board posts or try to sound "high and mighty". It's like get over yourself. It's a message board. It's FOR FUN!!!!!! Don't take it so seriously.

- Co-workers who constantly talk about how busy they are, but everytime you pass thier desk they are on the internet or BSing with someone. I don't mind people BSing or on the internet. Everybody does it, just don't act like you are to busy to help out.

- Any of you work in IT in a large company? God sometimes the in fights gets really stupid. I spent the last week watching emails fly back and forth because some group does not want to expand a field from 7 bytes to 9 bytes. In the time each "Group" spends fighting about which application should be changed they could have just made the change and been done with it.

Okay, I think I liked this thread to much.