With the addition of Hossa what does it mean for Crosby

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
soljaheas

With the addition of Hossa what does it mean for Crosby

Post by soljaheas »

I have asked for the opinion from many of the fans here on this board. So assuming that Hossa comes back next season, is it possible for Crosby to get 100 assists? He came close last year with 84 assists playing with Malone and Recchi for most of the season. Next season he will have Hossa who is a finsher, I think he can get it. Thoughts?
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by SoupOrSam »

I'm just thinking of that commerical where Sid asks "Is this the year someone scores 200 points?"

I think it went something like that. Hopefully he beats Gretz's record and puts an exclamation point at the end. I would love to hear how 99 takes it considering he said himself that Crosby is the one person who can do it. I tend to think he would be a little upset. :)
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

If Hossa comes back next year. He should get 50 goals and 100 points. That means an extra 50 assits for Sid :D
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by interstorm »

even if he got 120 assists, he'd still need 80 goals...and thats not gonna happen. the NHL was so different back then. goaltending and defense is drastically better than it was, penalties went the full time regardless of how many goals were scored...there was so much.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

KG wrote:If Hossa comes back next year. He should get 50 goals and 100 points. That means an extra 50 assits for Sid :D
I don't follow that logic, you don't just add 50 assists to crosby's total if you assume Hossa scores 50 goals.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by SoupOrSam »

I don't expect it to happen. I wouldn't "give it a 5% chance." However, that record will be broken.

Let's not forget that Sid might have another 15 solid years to try. I wouldn't dismiss the thought. The kid has given more solid silver platter passes in two and a half seasons than I would bet most have given in a career. He now has that someone with the instinct to feel that pass and the ability to bury it anywhere/any which way into the net. Boy oh boy, what an exciting future to look forward to.

Sometime within Sid's career he will make that push towards 200 imo. He will develop a goalscoring touch also. The game will slow down even more than it already has for him. It should be illegal. And then there is Malkin... The two of them together in 3,5,10 years is a scary thought that should most def be illegal.

Great decade to be a Pen's fan.

EDIT: This in no way is stating we get Hossa resigned and any other objective argument as if I can forsee the future.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Idoit40fans wrote:
KG wrote:If Hossa comes back next year. He should get 50 goals and 100 points. That means an extra 50 assits for Sid :D
I don't follow that logic, you don't just add 50 assists to crosby's total if you assume Hossa scores 50 goals.
That's why I put a :D ....tongue in cheek...

Seriously though. If Hossa is around next year, Crosby could hit 150 points...
soljaheas

Post by soljaheas »

ubitsa wrote:
8771equals1337 wrote:I don't expect it to happen. I wouldn't "give it a 5% chance." However, that record will be broken.

Let's not forget that Sid might have another 15 solid years to try. I wouldn't dismiss the thought. The kid has given more solid silver platter passes in two and a half seasons than I would bet most have given in a career. He now has that someone with the instinct to feel that pass and the ability to bury it anywhere/any which way into the net. Boy oh boy, what an exciting future to look forward to.

Sometime within Sid's career he will make that push towards 200 imo. He will develop a goalscoring touch also. The game will slow down even more than it already has for him. It should be illegal. And then there is Malkin... The two of them together in 3,5,10 years is a scary thought that should most def be illegal.

EDIT: This in no way is stating we get Hossa resigned and any other objective argument as if I can forsee the future.
As the NHL is currently set up, Crosby will never sniff 200 points. 150 would be an astronomical number.

I think you are wrong. As mention above he said that Crosby has had soe many passes that were gimmies. Recchi sure as hell couldn't finish them. Malkin was the only one and he wasn't even playing his natural position. The highest point total I could see Crosby hitting is about 165. He will break 100 assists. Ovechkin is pushing 60 goals this season if he starts picking it up. He has 48 with over a month left. It can be done with the right players around you. Ex: Malkin....who many points would he have this season if he as at his current pace the entire season? Someone do the math.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

soljaheas wrote:
ubitsa wrote:
8771equals1337 wrote:I don't expect it to happen. I wouldn't "give it a 5% chance." However, that record will be broken.

As the NHL is currently set up, Crosby will never sniff 200 points. 150 would be an astronomical number.

I think you are wrong. As mention above he said that Crosby has had soe many passes that were gimmies. Recchi sure as hell couldn't finish them. Malkin was the only one and he wasn't even playing his natural position. The highest point total I could see Crosby hitting is about 165. He will break 100 assists. Ovechkin is pushing 60 goals this season if he starts picking it up. He has 48 with over a month left. It can be done with the right players around you. Ex: Malkin....who many points would he have this season if he as at his current pace the entire season? Someone do the math.
32 pts in 19 games sincce Sid went down.
1.68 pts per game.
over an 82 game season, Gene Gene the Scoring Machine would put up 138 points.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by RxBandit66 »

With guys like Malkin and Letang entrenched on the powerplay for years to come, Sid will likely surpass 150-160 points a few times if he can stay healthy. Letang will be a big-time scoring defenseman before its all said and done.
charlesroast
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by charlesroast »

200 will be very hard. As with any sport, when the game has rule changes, some records will be shattered and some will stand for a long long time.

Look at baseball as an example...forget the juiced ball. The mound was lowered years ago because pitchers had too much of an advantage. Now look at it, certain pitching records will never be touched and offensive numbers are through the roof.

Unless goalie pads are shortened or forgive me saying this-the goal is made bigger, some of Gretzkys records will be untouchable...forever.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by crzymike »

ulf wrote:
soljaheas wrote:
ubitsa wrote:

1.68 pts per game.
Not to discredit you but its 32 points (13 g 19 a) in 18 games. :wink:
Last edited by crzymike on Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soljaheas

Post by soljaheas »

charlesroast wrote:200 will be very hard. As with any sport, when the game has rule changes, some records will be shattered and some will stand for a long long time.

Look at baseball as an example...forget the juiced ball. The mound was lowered years ago because pitchers had too much of an advantage. Now look at it, certain pitching records will never be touched and offensive numbers are through the roof.

Unless goalie pads are shortened or forgive me saying this-the goal is made bigger, some of Gretzkys records will be untouchable...forever.
Not to mention most goalies didn't even know how to play the position. They were flopping around all over the place. I don't think anyone will get close to 200 points. Another staggering stat is the 50 goals in 39 games which is absolutely insane. I don't anyone will touch that. Maybe Hossa if he sticks around for a year or two, but I am sure that he will only be around for this season.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Noise »

I think Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, and Malkin can all do 50 in 50.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

ulf wrote: over an 82 game season, Gene Gene the Scoring Machine would put up 138 points.
YES! A gong show reference!

ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

crzymike wrote:
ulf wrote:
soljaheas wrote:
ubitsa wrote:

1.68 pts per game.
Not to discredit you but its 32 points (16 g 16 a) in 18 games. :wink:
I might have counted the game Sid was hurt...oh well even more points :)
pensfannn
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pensfannn »

I was serious when I asked who will be Sid's new roommate on the road. Anyone know?
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

Yeah, that thread was whacked quickly.
pensfannn
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pensfannn »

It wasn't a flippant question, any more than "Does Hossa have a nickname?" or "Are they gonna still air that car commercial now that Army's gone?".

WTF
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

pensfannn wrote:It wasn't a flippant question, any more than "Does Hossa have a nickname?" or "Are they gonna still air that car commercial now that Army's gone?".

WTF
I think it stemmed from those photos attached of that track star, I remember them causing a media thing a few months back, it wasn't your fault. I would wager Crosby would room by himself or with Hossa for now, as captain he may be designated to show Hossa the ropes and get him acclimated.
WHITEY1
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by WHITEY1 »

Do you think that Hossa might be kept in case we cannot keep Malkin? If we keep Hossa and someone offers Malkin something drastic, at least we get the 4 1st rounders and we get to keep Hossa? I dont think we will let Malkin go, but you never know?
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by crzymike »

WHITEY1 wrote:Do you think that Hossa might be kept in case we cannot keep Malkin? If we keep Hossa and someone offers Malkin something drastic, at least we get the 4 1st rounders and we get to keep Hossa? I dont think we will let Malkin go, but you never know?
:evil:

The chances of us letting Evgeni Malkin go is about the same as us letting Crosby go. Both are untouchable and will be signed long term!
WHITEY1
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by WHITEY1 »

NOt trying to be the bad guy, but we didnt think we would get Hossa either.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by crzymike »

WHITEY1 wrote:NOt trying to be the bad guy, but we didnt think we would get Hossa either.
As great a player as Hossa is, he's not 21 and he's not as good as Geno. The scary part is Malkin will only get better. Hossa is in his prime years now. Malkin and Crosby are the two that cannot be traded for any reason any time soon.