Matt Murray~ concussion

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Matt Murray~ concussion

Post by Antonio »

Should have traded him when he was very valuable. Whatever. Move on with our next goalie.
Malkintent
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: Please help my dog https://www.gofundme.com/sumdm7d8

Post by Malkintent »

Antonio wrote:Should have traded him when he was very valuable. Whatever. Move on with our next goalie.
Hindsight is 20/20. Pens had alot of guys they needed to resign/replace.
America
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by America »

Yikes.

He just never had “it”.

Thanks for the cup help ( I still think we win with MAF in net) and good luck somewhere else.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Antonio wrote:Should have traded him when he was very valuable. Whatever. Move on with our next goalie.
Just needed a top 10 pick, a signed goalie to expose and some legit prospects. Would have been easy to get that and more but he was Sully’s boy.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

Wow guys! Murray's toast already? Sheesh. :face:

It's nowhere near time to start :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Let's give the guy a chance to recover and see how he does. DeSmith has been pretty good - he beat Jarry out of a job last year.

Georges Vezina wouldn't have won that last game. :roll:
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Come on with these concussions already. Maybe they need to make these masks less pretty and more durable...

A veteran legit goalie should be on the want list in my opinion.
Inkio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Inkio »

IntangibleBeer wrote:Wow guys! Murray's toast already? Sheesh. :face:

It's nowhere near time to start :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Let's give the guy a chance to recover and see how he does. DeSmith has been pretty good - he beat Jarry out of a job last year.

Georges Vezina wouldn't have won that last game. :roll:
This isn’t panic for no good reason. Murray has been injured off and on so often in the past year that it’s hard to have faith in him being healthy when it matters.

He’s had tons of chances to recover. Every time he does recover he is injured shortly after.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

He's toast (or should be) because he just isn't that good. That's the bottom line, and now you add in the fact that he is apparently so brittle that Beau Bennett looks like Iron Man compared to him.

Frankly I'm also ready to move on from Sullivan I think...the team just has started to really look like the same nonsense from the disco days, going back to last season. I am starting to think that the stuff that Sullivan brought that made the team special has faded. Starting to think that it just more and more unwarranted favoritism, lack of adapting, "getting to their game" etc.
ShaPe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ShaPe »

What happens in these practices? Its not the first time a goalie gets a cuncussion in practice. Flower got them in practice too.
Who is shooting for their head? thats the more important questions :D :P
danish_penguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by danish_penguin »

Can someone please kidnap Fleury when he lands tomorrow? We can keep him locked up in Mario's basement.
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Steve Dave »

I heard someone mention his girlfriend broke up with him.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

Price and Armia for Kessel and Murray
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Steve Dave wrote:I heard someone mention his girlfriend broke up with him.
You know if a woman used the excuse of a man for failing on the job; the ridicule wouldn't end.

Maybe the other Subban auditions tomorrow for starting goal, in PGH.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Penspal »

blurryhaze312 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:So, how many more injuries does Murray need to have to achieve Beau Bennett status? I'm thinking Murray is pretty damn close. Maybe not the same number of total games missed, but I count 27 injury related regular season and playoff games missed due to injury. The guy is made of tinfoil.

Several people think this may be the play the injury occurred:

https://twitter.com/G_Off817/status/1049686275941433349

This is my first time having real concern about the viability of Murray as our long-term goalie. He needed a bounce back year. He needed an injury free or very limited injury season. He's off to a very bad start.
I cringed when I saw this play live and hoped it wouldn't be an issue. A few days later and here we are...
Same... I saw his head take a little snap... thought oh oh.... Hate to see it.

Is there a silver lining in there that in that it affected Murray's performance after taking that hit?
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

I'm taking a looking into the stats into goalie injuries over the past several years. I'll post a link here to my blog later when it's completed. Going to take a look to see the frequency of overall goalie injuries, goalies with multiple injuries, average length of injury, etc. Should be some good stuff, and should help flush out how serious of a problem this is for Murray compared to other goalies around the league.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Malkintent wrote:
Hindsight is 20/20. Pens had alot of guys they needed to resign/replace.

I think that outside of the Penguin's fan base, Murray was not really considered that valuable. Some value sure, but nothing major.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Penspal »

No goalie recalls yet? Hmmmm.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Penspal wrote:No goalie recalls yet? Hmmmm.
Likely a formality. WBS is practicing in Cranberry today on their way to a game with Cleveland tonight. So, Jarry is already in town, and I would suspect an announcement to come as WBS heads on their way to Cleveland this afternoon.

UPDATE: Shelley Anderson just tweeted that DeSmith and Mike Chaisson are manning the nets today for Penguins. Says recall of Jarry may not happen until tomorrow (Salary cap related?).
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Luckybreak »

FLPensFan wrote:I'm taking a looking into the stats into goalie injuries over the past several years. I'll post a link here to my blog later when it's completed. Going to take a look to see the frequency of overall goalie injuries, goalies with multiple injuries, average length of injury, etc. Should be some good stuff, and should help flush out how serious of a problem this is for Murray compared to other goalies around the league.
I think (but your research should help) that many of the goalie concussions are a result of skates/knees etc to the head rather than from shots. One common factor with these impacts is the side of the head is more likely to be the point of impact, and I seem to recall reading that the brain is more susceptible to concussion when subjected to side/twist/snap type motions rather than directly from the front (where most shot will hit). I also believe many concussions can have delayed symptoms and are then aggravated in practice by shots off the noggin. Teams will state that is when the injury occurred as it reflect badly if they failed to identify one during the game.

It would be great if the cause could be identified clearly, i.e. physical contact or shot and the area of the head impacted.

As a goalie I know literally every mask on the market is designed predominantly to withstand shots from the front. If a heavy shot hits my cage or forehead area there's a loud bang, bit of ear ringing and that's usually it. However a shot off the side of the head or a player skating in and 'blindsiding' you when down in a butterfly etc often feels much worse.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

I think Jarry is just what we need. Usually the back up forces the team to tighten up and play better defense. just tryin to be positive guys.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Luckybreak »

Steve Dave wrote:I heard someone mention his girlfriend broke up with him.
Poor guy has had a rough ride with what he went through last year and this (if true). I think so much of sports, and goaltending in particular, is mental. One thing that was universally praised when Murray broke onto the scene was his confidence and maturity at such a young age. Some goalies have so much confidence and 'swagger' they are considered arrogant - think of Roy as a prime example, but most elite athletes have that unbeatable air about them (Ali being a glorious now tragic example).

Going through a bereavement and a breakup can have a huge effect on the psyche, and whilst Murray has struggled with a multitude of physical injuries, the mental ones may have a greater impact on his career. Consider Robin Lehner's story - a very worthwhile read and inspirational one at that. I'm not comparing their situations but it is a sobering (no pun intended) reminder that these are human beings with a life that can have an impact on what happens within the rink.

I was (am) a huge MAF fan and personally prefer Jarry's style over Murray but don't think we should jettison him just yet. Here's hoping Murray can recover quickly but if Jarry gets a shot and shines we all love a good controversy thread don't we?!
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

DelPen wrote:Who will let in 5+ goals a game now?
:lol: :thumb:
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Here's the link to my blog post on Murray and NHL goalie injuries: https://randomhockeyguy.wordpress.com/2 ... n-the-nhl/
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Seth Rorabaugh did a piece on the Athletic today about players changing teams and how long it takes them to adjust. At the bottom he had some notes, and two items of note:

- Grant was placed on waivers for roster flexibility (ie, needing to recall Jarry).
- Sullivan has not officially ruled out Murray for tomorrow's game. While he hasn't been practicing, Murray has been around the facility and not showing any real signs of concussion at the moment.

This leaves me to believe this concussion was a very mild one, and the fact that they believe Murray may be ready tomorrow is why Jarry has not yet been recalled. They waived grant to make room just in case they need to, but Murray could dress tomorrow.

I think either way, I'd start DeSmith at this point, and if he is cleared, just keep Murray as the backup.