Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:00 am
Antonio wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:28 am At this point I think we need to look into finding a legitimate competent 2C instead of talking about a wing for an aging star who is and has been clearly in decline in both his physical abilities and interest levels.
I agree, and I think unfortunately you aren't going to get one without giving up Guentzel.

Don't know if NY would do it, but I'd roll the dice on something around a Guentzel for Chytil swap.
Or something around Guentzel for Logan Cooley or Barret Hayton from Arizona.

But I don't see any way to get a decent, young 2C without giving up Jake, either directly or getting pieces for Jake that are flipped for a 2C.
I'd be careful with Chytil. I would certainly like him but he has 4 concussion and is only 24. Arizona is out of the playoff hunt and I doubt Jake would want to sign there. Thinking LA could be a darkhorse team for Jake. They need to make the playoffs and have a hard time scoring goals. Kaliyev, Turcotte, 1st round pick type of package. Who knows.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:40 am
Antonio wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:28 am At this point I think we need to look into finding a legitimate competent 2C instead of talking about a wing for an aging star who is and has been clearly in decline in both his physical abilities and interest levels.
I agree, and I think unfortunately you aren't going to get one without giving up Guentzel.

Don't know if NY would do it, but I'd roll the dice on something around a Guentzel for Chytil swap.

But I don't see any way to get a decent, young 2C without giving up Jake, either directly or getting pieces for Jake that are flipped for a 2C.
I'd be careful with Chytil. I would certainly like him but he has 4 concussion and is only 24. Arizona is out of the playoff hunt and I doubt Jake would want to sign there. Thinking LA could be a darkhorse team for Jake. They need to make the playoffs and have a hard time scoring goals. Kaliyev, Turcotte, 1st round pick type of package. Who knows.
Kingerski had 3 teams in a new article...Edmonton, Vegas, and LA

Edmonton would need to include Broberg, who is their top defensive prospect. Broberg, McLeod, and a 1st might work...knowing that first is going to be a later round first. McLeod is a center, but I'm not sure if he has enough upside to be a 2C.

Vegas just doesn't seem possible, as it would need to be salary in, salary out.

LA, though, was also Kingerski's dark horse. They need scoring. The allure with LA is, they aren't expected to go deep, meaning of the playoff contenders potentially going after Jake, their 1st could be the best. But...LA has some "name prospects" that haven't really panned out yet. Turcotte was a 5th overall drafted center, but he turns 23 in 10 days and has played less than 20 games at the NHL level. Kaliyev was 1st pick in the 2nd round, who everyone had panned as a 1st rounder. He had 102 and 98 points his last 2 years in Juniors. He hasn't cracked 30 points yet at the NHL level. Athletic had their prospect pool ranked 17th, and had RHD Brandt Clarke, center Turcotte, and RW Alex Laferriere (no, the other one) as their top 3 prospects.
ahawk9
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by ahawk9 »

Maybe the Pens can make up for the injury and get a better deal if they offer to pay a percentage of the salary the rest of the season. Not sure if that would work at all or not, but just spit-ballin'.

I was certain he was going to be traded for a while, but I'm starting to get the uneasy feeling they're going to try (unsuccessfully) to re-sign him in the offseason. Maybe they could also work a sign and trade.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

I am not expecting anything, there is no evidence to suggest otherwise
jf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by jf »

Maybe Jake's contract situation is causing more problems on the team than anyone ever thought about.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

KG wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:40 am

The original message - don't know if NY would - really, why would the Pens?? Makes no sense to trade Guentzel anywhere in the east unless it is a mind-blowing offer. Jake needs to go to the west.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Elliotte Friedman
@FriedgeHNIC
PIT claims Phillips from WASH

https://sportsforecaster.com/nhl/p/2630 ... w_Phillips
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

KG wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:10 pm Elliotte Friedman
@FriedgeHNIC

5’7”. 140lbs……. lol that can’t be right!
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

@FriedgeHNIC

The small team gets smaller...5'7" LOL He's been a 30+ goal scorer the last 2 years in the AHL. So we'll probably play him on the 4th line and wonder why he can't score while Jeff Carter is coasting along, chugging a Bud Light Platinum.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

ahawk9 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:44 pm Maybe the Pens can make up for the injury and get a better deal if they offer to pay a percentage of the salary the rest of the season. Not sure if that would work at all or not, but just spit-ballin'.

I was certain he was going to be traded for a while, but I'm starting to get the uneasy feeling they're going to try (unsuccessfully) to re-sign him in the offseason. Maybe they could also work a sign and trade.
I would expect any team trading for Jake will likely have us eating salary. I think (not certain) a tricky part is, if he is signed then traded, we potentially could be on the hook for the future years of retained salary too. I never thought that was a thing, but a recent situation said otherwise. Need to look into again.

But retaining for the rest of this season isn't a big deal. What we want to avoid is retaining on a deal like Karlsson that has 3 more years left. Each team only gets 3 retention spots. We are using one on Petry this year and next year.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:13 pm
@FriedgeHNIC

The small team gets smaller...5'7" LOL He's been a 30+ goal scorer the last 2 years in the AHL. So we'll probably play him on the 4th line and wonder why he can't score while Jeff Carter is coasting along, chugging a Bud Light Platinum.
lol. Absolutely. He's going to pinned to the 4rh line in a role he's not suited for. Pens need depth scoring. I wish we would go away from the 2 scoring lines and 2 defense only lines. Look at other successful teams around the league. They spread the offense throughout the lineup.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Skatingpen wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:13 pm
@FriedgeHNIC

5’8”, 160 on his NHL player bio but that’s not much better. It’s a head scratcher why he can’t score in the NHL, right?

Waste of an NHL contract.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

DelPen wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:25 pm
@FriedgeHNIC

5’8”, 160 on his NHL player bio but that’s not much better. It’s a head scratcher why he can’t score in the NHL, right?

36 goals in 66 games last year in the AHL. He would break all kinds of WBS records with numbers like that :D . Worth a shot. Only signed for the rest of the season.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

With 49 NHL contracts the idea we could get any kind of “haul” for Jake is a lot harder unless other players are included or moved in other deals.

But I think we all know that Dubas isn’t going to do anything.
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

KD just needed to restock a depleted WBS team as a result of the recent call ups. No major impact.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Wyopen wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:29 pm KD just needed to restock a depleted WBS team as a result of the recent call ups. No major impact.
Claimed on waivers means he has to play on NHL level or be offered back to Washington.

Also, CapFriendly has Jake listed on LTIR. 10 games and 24 days minimum that he misses, means earliest he could come back is March 10th...which lines up with what some were saying yesterday.
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

My mistake. Thx
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

KG wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:47 pm
@FriedgeHNIC

36 goals in 66 games last year in the AHL. He would break all kinds of WBS records with numbers like that :D . Worth a shot. Only signed for the rest of the season.
Found this funny:

"Long Range Potential: Diminutive scoring forward. "
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Pitts wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:13 pm
KG wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:47 pm
@FriedgeHNIC

Found this funny:

"Long Range Potential: Diminutive scoring forward. "
5'6" Theo Fleury isn't afraid of him. :wink:
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

So, the Penguins and their injuries at the NHL level, and subsequent recalls, have now left WBS playing with 11F and 7D tonight, even after recalling two forward from Wheeling. Not sure who at forward besides Poulin and Johnstone are injured for WBS.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

Really what is KD doing?? You cant pickup some very small guy thru waivers for NHL that weights less than our 96yrs old super skinny grandma!? Waste of roster spot..
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pens4Life wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:33 pm Really what is KD doing?? You cant pickup some very small guy thru waivers for NHL that weights less than our 96yrs old super skinny grandma!? Waste of roster spot..
KD is skating the same line Hextall was which was mandated by ownership. Re-tool while remaining competitive to appease Sid. I actually think if we brought in some serious depth scoring we could easily be a playoff team. The East is far from a juggernaut.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:13 pm
Pens4Life wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:33 pm Really what is KD doing?? You cant pickup some very small guy thru waivers for NHL that weights less than our 96yrs old super skinny grandma!? Waste of roster spot..
KD is skating the same line Hextall was which was mandated by ownership. Re-tool while remaining competitive to appease Sid. I actually think if we brought in some serious depth scoring we could easily be a playoff team. The East is far from a juggernaut.
I don't think the depth is out there. The UFA class isn't strong, and not worth giving up high picks our top assets. Not sure how much of an improvement we'd get in a hockey trade swapping out Rakell or Smith. 2 years in a row, swing and a huge miss by the GMs of this team.
BONVIE
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by BONVIE »

FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

BONVIE wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:22 am Good trade article....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/pe ... f1ce&ei=49
I would take Veleno and a 2nd for Rakell. Veleno is 24 so he's not old, he's not under 6 foot so that's a plus for me. He could be a solid 3rd line center for the team for a good 8-10 years if he is healthy and continues to grow his game. He's also cheap at only 825K then an RFA next season. Detroit can take on the equivalent of 12M at the deadline, so there's no need to retain on Rakell here.

Smith...retaining salary would be for this year and next. If I'm retaining salary, and 50%, I'm not taking a 5th just to dump him.
--I don't see Dallas being a fit. We'd have to retain 50% and they STILL need to send us something back off their roster to make it work. If they wanted to give us 23 year old Ty Dellandrea, sure, I'd do it. But the rest of their options they can send to us just to make the cap work are 30+ year olds that don't fit here.

--Colorado is in the same boat. They are so cap strapped that they have to send us a significant piece off their roster...so they have to think that Smith is an upgrade over someone. Only thing I could possibly see here would be Smith (with 30% retained works, could go 50% if they want more cap space) for Miles Wood, who is signed for 5 more years at 2.5M with a 6 team NTC that kicks in after this season.

--Vegas has more cap space than the other 2 options mentioned for Smith, but they'd still need to send salary out. I don't see a big fit that makes them better and gives us a wanted piece. Smith with retention for Brett Howden and a pick is about the best I can come up with.

--Tampa makes the most sense due to the Sergachev injury. They can offer picks or prospects and not have to move anything off their roster. They don't need us to retain, but could have us retain if they want to make multiple moves. But Tampa doesn't have a great prospect pool (ranked 29th by the Athletic), so we aren't going to get a great asset.

Rakell seems like the easier to move in theory, but his contract length will turn some teams off. Smith is harder to move because teams that may want him have little cap space to work with or little assets to give back to us.