The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: 93.7 The Fan Now On

Post by Member »

http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazet ... ns-the-fan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bring on the interview playbacks.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Laird is still better then Ron Cook.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Bowser »

Laird should be the guy to get the full-time Steelers beat job as I've heard crap from Burton.
Point Breeze Penguins
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Point Breeze Penguins »

I cannot believe this station can actually get worse every day.

Listening to the Pitt Post-game and Filiponi admitted to not watching most of the game.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Point Breeze Penguins wrote:I cannot believe this station can actually get worse every day.

Listening to the Pitt Post-game and Filiponi admitted to not watching most of the game.
It's bewildering - and very sad - that PGH does not have a top-flight sports station.
I can't believe that I'm already getting nostalgic for the 1250 afternoon show.

MM is the best thing on the air these days.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

Surprised Laird is the first to make the jump. I wouldn't mind if he covered the Steelers. I think Burton likes the idea of being a media personality but doesn't do all the work involved hence his recent demotions.the morning show and the Machine do better Steeler interviews. Burton would rather party and be a wrestler.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Laird is fine being a Steelers reporter, but should not be allowed to host a show or talk hockey under any circumstances.
Point Breeze Penguins
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

This station is just absurdly bad.

Thanks for nothing CBS.
Ned Braden
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Ned Braden »

Point Breeze Penguins wrote:This station is just absurdly bad.

Thanks for nothing CBS.
Just wondering, PBP, since this thread had been inactive for a bit, anything happen recently to prompt this post? I might tend to agree if I knew any specifics.
Point Breeze Penguins
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

The idiot that was on about the time I posted.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Mark Madden's 2 pm show on the Pens HD station is about the only thing I can listen to these days.
(Maybe if I were more into the Steelers, that would be different?)
Ned Braden
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Ned Braden »

Point Breeze Penguins wrote:The idiot that was on about the time I posted.
Were they still in Pitt network or local? Fillipponi does the local call in after Pitt games.
Point Breeze Penguins
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Local, Filliponi is ridiculously awful.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

Point Breeze Penguins wrote:Local, Filliponi is ridiculously awful.
Flilliponi's style is to just ask questions for four hours. Today's first question during the Pitt postgame was "has Jabaal Sheard redeemed himself?" Yeah, the kid's having a monster year, but there are more relevant topics regarding this afternoon's game to start out with. The team is 3-0 in the Big East. Start with that maybe?actually I think the reaction show is still on. Would be interesting to see that ratings book for today.
Point Breeze Penguins
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

I am looking forward to seeing what the 93.7FM ratings are for October. I hope they are terrible.
Marshall Dylan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Marshall Dylan »

Why would they be terrible when 1250 has gone out of business?
Point Breeze Penguins
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

I know for a fact I am not the only one who has gone to listening to zero local sports talk.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Point Breeze Penguins wrote:I know for a fact I am not the only one who has gone to listening to zero local sports talk.
The national programs are complete doo doo butter.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

Point Breeze Penguins wrote:I know for a fact I am not the only one who has gone to listening to zero local sports talk.
I am all satellite- Czaban in the morning and HNIC Radio in the evening.

I did click over to The Fan Morning Show the other day and they were still doing John Russell impersonations. Srsly?????
penscup
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by penscup »

Ned Braden wrote:
Point Breeze Penguins wrote:This station is just absurdly bad.

Thanks for nothing CBS.
Just wondering, PBP, since this thread had been inactive for a bit, anything happen recently to prompt this post? I might tend to agree if I knew any specifics.

I swear I heard an interview with new contributor Ed Bouchette this past week where Vinnie ended the segment with something along the lines of "Okay Ed, thanks for that report from down there in Steeler Training Camp." and Bouchette was speechless and replied as best he could with something funny to try and hide the ridiculous mistake by Vinnie. It was hilariously bad, and they didn't even attempt to correct it afterwards to try and save face even a small bit. Vinnie may be the nicest guy in the world, but as others have stated he has no idea what the hell he is talking about 90% of the time especially pertaining to Pittsburgh Sports. I also tuned in a day or two ago and heard him actually singing some dumb*** song/jingle live on the air about Pennsylvania or something that he learned from childhood and Cook telling him to STFU jokingly because they would be yanked from the air, but Vinnie kept on going thru the whole thing. He must have a 1-year contract guaranteed or would have been let go by this point a long time ago because he is beyond horrible. I don't like Cook very much either, but I actually feel bad for him being teamed up with Vinnie who is a total disaster. Cook is constantly correcting Vinnie for dumb statement after dumb statement that he makes and rightly so. The sooner he goes the better. His grace period is up and he obviously has done zero research on the Pittsburgh market or Pittsburgh teams in general to form an educated opinion about any of the sports teams playing here. The guy is an absolute tool. Cook could handle a decent show on his own, even though I disagree with a lot of his opinions. Just get rid of Vinnie for Goodness sake please.

I actually liked Fillaponi and Seibel in the beginning, but after the first couple of months both have begun to seriously annoy me. Seibel seems to always be over-analyzing everything he talks about and clashes way too much with Starkey, who is a weirdo but does actually understand most Pittsburgh sports fairly well, and they end up bickering far too much about non-sports material any time I tune in. Fillipponi was way better off hosting his own segment from 6-10 on his own, since moving to the morning he has been horrible, and he has brought down everybody including Colony whom I really enjoy. Get him off there and move the morning group back to where what they started as.

I like Mueller in the evenings wherever. He seems very knowledgeable about all Pghs. sports and at least sticks to his opinion without flip-flopping too much and admits when he's wrong.

I really applaud The Fan's overall effort to bring 24-7 sportstalk to the burgh, but they need to make some major changes still to get on the right track to being successful.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

Maybe the non-Pittsburghers are the problem. It seems they brought these guys in in February and said "learn Pittsburgh sports from your partner". Seibel is a big name from ESPN tv and radio but he is getting weirder than Starkey, Vinnie gets mixed up and is a West Coast baseball guy at heart, and Filliponi is a young kid that worked in Buffalo before here as his first job (I believe that was his first so correct me if I'm wrong). I really think with Stan and Guy and Eddie Crowe out there, the outside guys could be replaced. The Fan put ESPN out of business. Out of all the guys, personally, I could only do without Seibel and maybe Filliponi. I think that Gianotti really has done well with his morning show spot and has grown. The show doesn't have that "morning madhouse" gimmicky feel IMO and has a good balance of comedy and sports with Colony, Alexander, and Gianotti.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

jimjom wrote:Eddie Crowe
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kicksave »

I still don't understand why you hope they're horrible. It's the only channel we have on the FM station that is all sports. It's better than nothing.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

Maybe Eddie Crowe was a stretch.
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by K2 »

Vinny Richichi cannot speak