TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: TV Shows

Post by Hockeynut! »

PensFanInDC wrote:Homeland
Spoiler:
And what was he going to do? Even if his mission success made a clean slate for him as far as legal issues were concerned they can't go and announce to the world that Brody didn't bomb the CIA and that he also killed the IRGC head. So his life would still be in shambles and his family would never know the truth.

The question is....where does the show go from here?
Spoiler:
I guess we'll follow Carrie on a new mission in Turkey. I really hope there isn't a lot of baby drama though. I hate babies. ;)
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

WDWBurghGooner wrote:
KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
WDWBurghGooner wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:This is my first time watching all of BoB since it was released on DVD. This may be my favorite TV experience.
Excellent show, any time it's on Spike I can't help but DVR it and binge watch. Amazing how many actors who had little cameos went on to bigger things.
jimmy fallon?
Damian Lewis, Scott Grimes, Eion Bailey, Kirk Acevedo, and the two previously mentioned. They were already in things before Band of Brothes but they were unknowns to me. I feel like they all became more noticable after BOB. Damian Lewis is the only one who became a huge star but the others have all gotten consistent work on some high-profile tv shows.
Simon Pegg had done some stuff in England, but was definitely unknown in America at the time of BoB.

Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

My wife gives me a hard time about this, but we'll be watching some random TV show and I will say "Oh, he was on Band of Brothers/The Pacific." :lol:

Rick Gomez - Luz on BoB - shows up frequently on Justified. Marshal Tim Gutterson on Justified was Hoosier in The Pacific. Graham Yost, show runner for Justified, worked on BoB and Pacific, so he frequently uses those actors. I think the guy who played Basilone was on there a couple of seasons ago.

Watching The Good Wife last season, Pvt. Blithe from BoB shows up for a season long arc.

It's a sickness.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:My wife gives me a hard time about this, but we'll be watching some random TV show and I will say "Oh, he was on Band of Brothers/The Pacific." :lol:

Rick Gomez - Luz on BoB - shows up frequently on Justified. Marshal Tim Gutterson on Justified was Hoosier in The Pacific. Graham Yost, show runner for Justified, worked on BoB and Pacific, so he frequently uses those actors. I think the guy who played Basilone was on there a couple of seasons ago.

Watching The Good Wife last season, Pvt. Blithe from BoB shows up for a season long arc.

It's a sickness.
I forgot about The Pacific. That was really well done. I know I haven't watched BoB though - we didn't do much HBO then. (We had it, just didn't get there much)
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

wasnt one of BoB guys on 24?
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

The guy who played Bull is on Walking Dead now.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

"We salute the rank, not the man"

love that line
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:wasnt one of BoB guys on 24?
James Badge Dale was Chase in season 3, but he was in the Pacific. thats the only one coming to me off the top of my head
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

Band of Brothers and Black Hawk Down were right about the same time and featured practically every young actor in Hollywood.

A few from BHD you might not have noticed:
Ioan Gruffudd (Mr Fantastic in Fantastic Four)
Tom Hardy (Bain in Dark Knight Rises)
Hugh Dancy (Hannibal)
Jeremy Piven (Ari Gold in Entorage)
Nikolaj Coster Waldau (Jaime Lannister in Game of Thrones)
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

My wife and I are continuing to work our way through Grey's Anatomy. We're approaching the end of season 7 and last night we experienced the "musical" episode. :face: That was a tough watch and doing that in an episode where an important event took place just seemed like a dumb decision.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Tonight, for better or worse, we say goodbye to HIMYM.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I came to bed the other day and my wife was finishing up the latest Grey's. She's been watching since the beginning and said that she's probably going to stop watching at the end of this season.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Dickie Dunn wrote:My wife and I are continuing to work our way through Grey's Anatomy. We're approaching the end of season 7 and last night we experienced the "musical" episode. :face: That was a tough watch and doing that in an episode where an important event took place just seemed like a dumb decision.
Woof. That was an all time low point in wife television. There's no way anyone enjoyed that.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

blackjack68 wrote:Tonight, for better or worse, we say goodbye to HIMYM.
I'll probably shed a tear or two. I'm a sucker for finales.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

PensFanInDC wrote:
What if it really sucks? :pop:
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

meecrofilm wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:
What if it really sucks? :pop:
It's more of the "saying goodbye" aspect of the finale.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Yep. It's going to be bittersweat for me. I've watched the show for 9 seasons. The first 4 were great IMO and then went down hill until this last season, but it was definitely time for it to end. Honestly, the last time I anticipated an finale like this was Friends.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by JeffDFD »

newarenanow wrote:
Yep. It's going to be bittersweat for me. I've watched the show for 9 seasons. The first 4 were great IMO and then went down hill until this last season, but it was definitely time for it to end. Honestly, the last time I anticipated an finale like this was Friends.
It feels like the Office a bit..strong start, trailed off a bit...then was hit or miss and now ending strong.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

JeffDFD wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
It feels like the Office a bit..strong start, trailed off a bit...then was hit or miss and now ending strong.
Friends was a lot more infuriating to me. All that time wasted on Ross & Rachel, needlessly. There is a fine line were stuff like that becomes dreaded rather than enjoyed.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

relantel wrote: Friends was a lot more infuriating to me. All that time wasted on Ross & Rachel, needlessly. There is a fine line were stuff like that becomes dreaded rather than enjoyed.
the true waste on Friends was when they tried to hook up Rachel and Joey. ridiculous.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

shoeshine boy wrote:
relantel wrote: Friends was a lot more infuriating to me. All that time wasted on Ross & Rachel, needlessly. There is a fine line were stuff like that becomes dreaded rather than enjoyed.
the true waste on Friends was when they tried to hook up Rachel and Joey. ridiculous.
One of the worst TV ideas ever
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

Hah. Knew they were totally going to blow the HIMYM ending, and they did. What a crock.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by JeffDFD »

meecrofilm wrote:Hah. Knew they were totally going to blow the HIMYM ending, and they did. What a crock.
Ill spoiler tag it just in case...
Spoiler:
Didn't take me long to pick up on what they were going to do there. Got it when Robin and Lily were emotional at the Halloween party. Not sure how I feel about it. Maybe in time I will look back on it better. I was OK with the ending because it is kind of the ending that it should have been and maybe would have been if the show ended a couple of seasons ago...but then there is the point - they took us down a path and the show got good again with that path and then it was kind of tossed aside a bit quick. I feel like the ending could have worked had it been spread over a few more episodes (perhaps remove some of the crap episodes of years past and back things up a bit.)

Ultimately, I will look back on the story fondly but the mother could have been fleshed out a little better because they had a good character going there. And then just like that...oh that's over so how is Robin.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

PensFanInDC wrote:
shmenguin wrote:HIMYM...always seemed to me like ted was destined to end up with Robin. with the mother taking a dirt nap, i feel like this is still in play.
not sure if serious
oh, i'm quite serious

i liked the ending...though there is some ambiguity on which woman is more important to him. so while i enjoyed that he ended up with robin, he marginalized the hell out of the mother in the process. kind of feels like a waste. almost like having an entire season take place at a wedding that resulted in a 3 year marriage.

or maybe i just liked it because they played that awesome walkmen song at the end. when i first heard that song a couple months ago, i pictured this show. so what i'm saying is that my prescient levels are skyrocketing right now.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

The problem was/is that the Robin character has sucked for years. And they also did the "Ted closing the book on Robin" schtick like 5 separate times, which also served as a tool for the audience to move on from that whole thing as well -- and if they didn't intend for that to be the effect those scenes had, then they're pretty clueless.