LGP Science Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: LGP Science Thread

Post by PensFanInDC »

columbia wrote:Russians regenerate flowering plant from 30,000-year-old frozen burrow of Ice Age squirrel
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/eur ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Encino Plant?
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

I was just going to post that. Not only the same topic, the same article even.
MelicharSux
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by MelicharSux »

[youtube][/youtube]

science
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

I want a mini-chameleon
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

http://news.yahoo.com/type-alien-planet ... 02250.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scientists have discovered a new type of alien planet — a steamy waterworld that is larger than Earth but smaller than Uranus.
Posted just for the opening quote.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Physical_Graffiti »

I'm offended! :pop:
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Tomas »

Neutrinos apparently don't travel faster than the speed of light. Faulty connector. Bummer...
The OPERA collaboration, which made headlines in September with the revolutionary claim to have clocked neutrinos traveling faster than the speed of light, has identified two possible sources of error in its experiment. If true its result would have violated Einstein’s Special Theory of Relativity, a cornerstone of modern physics.
according to a statement OPERA began circulating today, two possible problems have now been found with its set-up. As many physicists had speculated might be the case, both are related to the experiment’s pioneering use of Global Positioning System (GPS) signals to synchronize atomic clocks at each end of its neutrino beam. First, the passage of time on the clocks between the arrival of the synchronizing signal has to be interpolated and OPERA now says this may not have been done correctly. Second, there was a possible faulty connection between the GPS signal and the OPERA master clock.
http://blogs.nature.com/news/2012/02/fa ... rrors.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... al-illness" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Neglect of Mental Illness Exacts a Huge Toll, Human and Economic.

I think this is uniquely American.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by bh »

Yeah mental illness is a strange one in this country. People don't want to talk about it.

doublem, did you read about this and see the 60 minutes report? Kinda shocked me. I have some people very close to me on anti-depressants.
http://www.minnpost.com/second-opinion/ ... ts-not-new" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I think its because it's one of those great unknowns in the medical field. how does it happen? why does it happen? how much of it is a physical problem with the brain and how much of it is just the person themselves? How do you medicate something that's not a physical malfunction if it's the latter of my last question? There are just so many unknowns to be able to fully medicate/treat all the people with mental illness of some sort.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

I have read about the anti-depressant placebo theory before. I don't know, I take them, it seems to work for me, but I don't take a large amount or anything like that. I know one thing it's pretty clear mental illness runs in families. It's a shame that no one talks about it, like they do cancer or AIDS, How much better would people be without that stigma attached?
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

Also it's really hard to figure out what's happening in the brain when you can't really take a look at it.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

doublem wrote:Also it's really hard to figure out what's happening in the brain when you can't really take a look at it.
I'll say that, and 2 more things:

1. Psychology isn't considered a concrete science (basically building on what you're saying)

2. People could easily take advantage of a system (like if they put up a welfare type system, I feel a lot of people would try to exploit that)
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

MRandall25 wrote:
doublem wrote:Also it's really hard to figure out what's happening in the brain when you can't really take a look at it.

1. Psychology isn't considered a concrete science (basically building on what you're saying)

2. People could easily take advantage of a system (like if they put up a welfare type system, I feel a lot of people would try to exploit that)
Well the sad thing is a lot of people with mental illness are homeless or in jail. This upsets so very much.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

doublem wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:

Well the sad thing is a lot of people with mental illness are homeless or in jail. This upsets so very much.
I realize that and it sucks we can't help them because people look down on psychology.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

OCD has been identified with brain scans. i don't know if there are any similar results with depression. though the 2 are somewhat linked. they're both treated with drugs like prozac, anyways.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

MRandall25 wrote:
doublem wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:

I realize that and it sucks we can't help them because people look down on psychology.
We can't help them becasue people don't realize the seriousness of certain illnesses that cause people to do drugs, be homeless and be tossed in jail.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

love it

[youtube][/youtube]
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

60 Minutes did a really nice segment on Elon Musk and SpaceX, which last year became the first private company to successfully launch, orbit, and recover a spacecraft. In a month or so SpaceX will launch a demonstration flight of its Dragon cargo capsule to the International Space Station. While it will be used only for cargo transfers for now, SpaceX designed the Dragon with the capability to carry human passengers.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Awesome awesome.

http://www.htwins.net/scale2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

Kraftster wrote:Awesome awesome.
:thumb: Makes you feel so sort of insignificant, doesn't it?
Spoiler:
[youtube][/youtube]
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Does this mean I can start smoking again and it wont matter?
I'd like that.
Spoiler:
It's been 358 days.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

columbia wrote:Does this mean I can start smoking again and it wont matter?
I'd like that.
Spoiler:
It's been 358 days.
Spoiler:
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Kraftster wrote:Awesome awesome.

Fantastic.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by joopen »

Gaucho wrote:
columbia wrote:Does this mean I can start smoking again and it wont matter?
I'd like that.
Spoiler:
It's been 358 days.
Spoiler:
10,000 (I'm 27)