Jagr Watch 2017

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Jagr to PHI

Post by Lesky »

penscup wrote: If they cared so little they would never have offered him a contract in the first place. Shero offered what he could afford, it wasn't an insult. Bozo Jagr & his bozo agent then screwed around not giving an answer in a reasonable amount of time and the offer then was retracted, quit revising history to suit your Jagr Love.

Shero could care less about Jaromir Jagr or his Penguins legacy. What Shero cared about was that the Pittsburgh fans & media would not turn against him for not offering a contract to Jaromir Jagr when he wanted to comeback. Saying Shero offered all he could is also not true, just a way of excusing him if Jagr does well in Philly.

Shero thought Jagr was finished, and when the season is finished we will know if he was right or not.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Physical_Graffiti »

Lesky wrote:
penscup wrote: If they cared so little they would never have offered him a contract in the first place. Shero offered what he could afford, it wasn't an insult. Bozo Jagr & his bozo agent then screwed around not giving an answer in a reasonable amount of time and the offer then was retracted, quit revising history to suit your Jagr Love.

Shero couldn't care less about Jaromir Jagr or his Penguins legacy. What Shero cared about was that the Pittsburgh fans & media would not turn against him for not offering a contract to Jaromir Jagr when he wanted to comeback. Saying Shero offered all he could is also not true, just a way of excusing him if Jagr does well in Philly.

Shero thought Jagr was finished, and when the season is finished we will know if he was right or not.
I agree. Shero wanted no part of having Jagr on this team, imo.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

Physical_Graffiti wrote:
Lesky wrote:

Shero couldn't care less about Jaromir Jagr or his Penguins legacy. What Shero cared about was that the Pittsburgh fans & media would not turn against him for not offering a contract to Jaromir Jagr when he wanted to comeback. Saying Shero offered all he could is also not true, just a way of excusing him if Jagr does well in Philly.

I agree. Shero wanted no part of having Jagr on this team, imo.
Correct. Without going in to details I wonder if Shero would have done the same if Jagr was Canadian or American :) Its obvious Shero has been burned by a few European signings and trades so I would think it influences his decisions.

We are talking about a player who would have been top 4 in scoring all time if he had not left for Russia.
Last edited by Lesky on Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Lesky wrote: Correct. Without going in to details I wonder if Shero would have done the same if Jagr was Canadian or American weren't a child :)

We are talking about a player who would have been top 4 in scoring all time if he had not left for Russia.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

I would care less if Jagr was a donkey, or a walnut as long as he puts up more points than his salary demands.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Imo, Big Ray didn't want to have Jags' attitude negatively affecting the team.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Big Ray. :lol:
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

Quite possible you are right. A shame though that Shero was misinformed about Jagrs attitude the last 7 years or so. Shero put up a smart show though regardless - he really managed to put the blame only on Jagr - at least I got to hand it to him for that. Job well done from his perspective.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

Physical_Graffiti wrote:Imo, Big Ray didn't want to have Jags' attitude negatively affecting the team.
Btw. Why did Lemieux interfer then? I mean Lemieux must be more aware of Jagrs supposed bad attitude in 2001 than Shero?

Did Lemieux think 1 million here or there was not important compared to Jagrs Penguins legacy and his number being retired?

Or did Lemieux actually believe in contrary to Shero that Jagr could actually still cut it a the highest level? And that plus the fact that Lemieux himself as a person would find it sentimental to see Jagr retire as a Penguin?

Perhaps Lemieux never got involved outside the alleged phone call to Jagr? Maybe it was all part of Sheros masterplan to make it look like the Penguins had done all they possible could to get Jagr? Imagine if Shero told Lemieux to tell Jagr that Crosby liked to play with fast players and that that Tyler Kennedy was priority one because they knew that would tick Jagr off? Maybe we have underestimated Sheros knowledge about Jagr. :D
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by SoupOrSam »

Lesky that 'maybe scenario' puts you alone, on planet Nibiru. ..and I don't know who said it, but you do have Jagr shades with total absolute blind love for the guy. I'd like for him to have comeback also, but not in any sense for 3 million. He doesn't fit this system for that type of money.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Lesky wrote:
Physical_Graffiti wrote:Imo, Big Ray didn't want to have Jags' attitude negatively affecting the team.
Btw. Why did Lemieux interfer then? I mean Lemieux must be more aware of Jagrs supposed bad attitude in 2001 than Shero?

Did Lemieux think 1 million here or there was not important compared to Jagrs Penguins legacy and his number being retired?

Or did Lemieux actually believe in contrary to Shero that Jagr could actually still cut it a the highest level? And that plus the fact that Lemieux himself as a person would find it sentimental to see Jagr retire as a Penguin?

Perhaps Lemieux never got involved outside the alleged phone call to Jagr? Maybe it was all part of Sheros masterplan to make it look like the Penguins had done all they possible could to get Jagr? Imagine if Shero told Lemieux to tell Jagr that Crosby liked to play with fast players and that that Tyler Kennedy was priority one because they knew that would tick Jagr off? Maybe we have underestimated Sheros knowledge about Jagr. :D
Perhaps because they are friends who won two cups together? Love blinds, yo.

Perhaps Lemieux's opinion of Jagr was higher than Shero's (sure seemed like it to me).
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

Yea it's borderline scary.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

I feel like Lesky is King Leonidas.

"3 million dollars. This is maddness!"

Lesky: "Madness? THIS IS JAGR!"

columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

lol
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

SoupOrSam wrote:I'd like for him to have comeback also, but not in any sense for 3 million. He doesn't fit this system for that type of money.
So Jagr putting up like 20-25 goals and 70-82 points for 3 million is bad deal? I´d be more worried about giving Malkin 8.7 million a year than giving Jagr 3 million.

If Jagr can play with Giroux there is no reason why he could not play with Crosby or Malkin. Guerin could play with Sid and Jagr is maybe twice as good as Guerin was.

I guess you will use the argument, I´d rather have a player that can hit that scores 45 points for 3 million than Jagr scoring 70 for 3 million?

I just went it and looked at the Penguins salary cap situation and to me the biggest concerns is Paul Martin and Malkin. They are way overpaid.
Paul Martin in his last years will be slower and not by any means worth 5 million a year.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by littlemoonboot »

How well Jagr does with the Flyers isn't much of a guage of how well he would have played with the Penguins, IMO. Jagr COULD have played with Crosby or Malkin, but would he have been happy playing alongside bigger, higher paid stars than himself? And being back under Mario? In retrospect, I doubt it. He may have matured in some respects, but in other respects I don't think he's changed. I think being back in Pittsburgh would have left him feeling like he was just along for the ride, and that isn't his style.

Love him or hate him, Jagr would probably not have been happy in Pittsburgh, and because of that, would probably not have played well for the Pens. The end result of him not playing for the Pens was likely for the best.

I still won't be surprised if his age will catches up with him in the spring and most people will decide that Shero was right about the team's best interests after all.
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by pens#1 »

Wow, the people on the board that think Jagr would not be a fit either havent watched the Flyers at all or they just arent paying enough attnetion to the goal scoring of the Pens wingers.
NeddieVedder
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by NeddieVedder »

I think you have post-traumatic stress disorder from the week before July 1st and your memory is protecting you.
Lesky wrote:First of all, when did Jagr owe it to the Penguins to deny or accept their offer 80 minutes or so before free agency? Shero said several times there was no deadline handed out to Jagr - Jagrs camp was not told by Shero that the Penguins offer were going to be pulled at 80 minutes prior to free agency.

Apparantly Shero either was happy to withdraw the offer or he simply changed his mind about not giving Jagr a deadline and withdrew the offer
Or apparently Jagr and Svoboda disingenuously stalled for days when they were asked to simply say yes or no, so they could try to drive up the price at the last minute, causing both the Penguins and Wings to get fed up and pull out at the same time.

Shero: "After several days, with an extended time frame for making a decision, and additional teams getting involved, we have decided to move in a different direction. It was never our intention to get involved in a free agent bidding war, and we have to focus on our team."

"Shero had expected an answer from Jagr on Wednesday based off information provided by Svoboda. Wednesday passed without contact from Svoboda. Shero didn`t hear from Svoboda until Thursday afternoon. Late Thursday night, an ESPN.com report surfaced that quoted Svoboda saying many more teams were in the mix."
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 44845.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"General manager Ken Holland told the Free Press today that the Wings “are out on Jagr. We made an offer and he doesn’t want it, so we’re done.” Sources close to the team say Jagr’s camp was just too slow and too flighty, which tested the Red Wings’ patience."
http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/tmr/P200/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is all part of the conspiracy to sully the reputation of Jagr and Svoboda's perfectly normal, above-board actions, I guess. Shero and Holland couldn't play games with Jagr and Svoboda anymore because they had to allocate the $2m they'd earmarked for him for discussions with non-enigmatic players and real agents capable of grown-up negotiations.
What makes you think Jagr got the wrong impression of being on the 3rd line? If the Penguins said to Jagr Tyler Kennedy was their priority and he was a 3rd liner, why would they offer Jagr only 2 million if they saw him as 1st or 2nd line player?
Neverminding that Tyler Kennedy scored 20 goals and was signed to be a potential top six winger, so wanting to keep a 25-year-old long-term is hardly some slap in the face, the idea that the Penguins would sign Jaromir Jagr and play him at 3rd line RW behind Kennedy and Pascal Dupuis is ridiculous.

If Jagr can play with Giroux there is no reason why he could not play with Crosby or Malkin.
I agree. Only a crazy person wouldn't think so.

"I think it would be a problem if I would play in Pittsburgh with Crosby or Malkin, left handed, and have to play on the other side, when I’ve played all my life on the right side, I don’t think I would be able to play there. Or if I go to Detroit, with Datsyuk and Zetterberg, they’re left-handed and they play on the boards where I used to play at. I don’t think I would have a chance to play at all."
- Jaromir Jagr
Last edited by NeddieVedder on Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by pens#1 »

im sure if Shero bumped up his offer we wouldnt be watching him put up nice numbers in Philly whiles Sullivan (ex Pred) cant hit the side of a barn
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

NeddieVedder wrote:
Or apparently Jagr and Svoboda disingenuously stalled for days when they were asked to simply say yes or no, so they could try to drive up the price at the last minute, causing both the Penguins and Wings to get fed up and pull out at the same time.

Shero: "After several days, with an extended time frame for making a decision, and additional teams getting involved, we have decided to move in a different direction. It was never our intention to get involved in a free agent bidding war, and we have to focus on our team."

"Shero had expected an answer from Jagr on Wednesday based off information provided by Svoboda. Wednesday passed without contact from Svoboda. Shero didn`t hear from Svoboda until Thursday afternoon. Late Thursday night, an ESPN.com report surfaced that quoted Svoboda saying many more teams were in the mix."
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 44845.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"General manager Ken Holland told the Free Press today that the Wings “are out on Jagr. We made an offer and he doesn’t want it, so we’re done.” Sources close to the team say Jagr’s camp was just too slow and too flighty, which tested the Red Wings’ patience."
http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/tmr/P200/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nothing new to see there. Jagr did not give Shero an answer before free agency, Shero decided to pull back the offer. I don´t read anything more into that. I do not give a damn about what a "source close to the Red Wings camp" allegedly says happened. Regardless, if Jagr wanted to create a bidding war, whats so strange with that? Its being done all the time. But nobody ever said Jagr wanted more money, so it seems Jagr was more busy deciding what was the best fit.

Regardless, I don´t the big deal with what happened.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

NeddieVedder wrote:I think you have post-traumatic stress disorder from the week before July 1st and your memory is protecting you.
Still waiting for your reply to these questions - since you are still going on about the Svoboda/Jagr dealings.

Does the fact that Jagr wanted to feel the GM of the team he was going to sign with really wanted him on the team and not just made an offer to save his own butt mean that Jaromir Jagr would not play up to standards and ruin the team chemistry?

Are we judging Jaromir Jagr based on people who spent the last 7 years on the same team as him, or are we judging him from what happened a few days around free agency?

Does this mean that if I am in 2021 negotiating for a new job contract and are taking time while making sure I will feel happy and needed at my new job while getting a good salary mean I have not learned anything or matured a bit during the last 10 years? Does it make me a bad person that will poison my new work place with my badness?

Would you also like to be judged as person for some half questionable act you made one time during the last 10 years?

Jagr might have been more nice to the Penguins had he rejected their offer before Shero pulled the offer, but that has zero to with what Jagr could have done with the Penguins or not. I just think its a joke to judge a persons whole character based on some stuff that is hardly uncommon in the business.
NeddieVedder
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by NeddieVedder »

Like Shero, I am pulling my offer from participating in this thread, you can't argue religion and I continue to admire Lesky's true belief in Jags as I always have.
Lesky wrote:I do not give a damn about what a "source close to the Red Wings camp" allegedly says happened.
Oh aye, the voices in Jagr's head exposing Shero's conspiracy to not sign Jagr and then blame him are a much more reliable source.
I just think its a joke to judge a persons whole character based on some stuff that is hardly uncommon in the business.
You're the one painting Shero as a conniving manipulator instead of a guy just doing his job signing hockey players to contracts via negotiations, are you not?
pens1 wrote:im sure if Shero bumped up his offer we wouldnt be watching him put up nice numbers in Philly whiles Sullivan (ex Pred) cant hit the side of a barn
LOLLLL if Jagr had a real agent capable of answering his phone maybe they could've haggled like adults in a business instead of trying to play games using the amateur negotiating tactics he learned from syndicated Entourage reruns and booking his previous clients' cat food commercials.
NeddieVedder
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by NeddieVedder »

Also, Jagr happily reunited with his peanut butter is the real closure of this situation, can't not love him.
http://blogs.courierpostonline.com/flye ... ut-butter/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Farewell Jagr and Lesky. SALUTE.
Last edited by NeddieVedder on Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by pens#1 »

NeddieVedder wrote:Like Shero, I am pulling my offer from participating in this thread, you can't argue religion and I continue to admire Lesky's true belief in Jags as I always have.
Lesky wrote:I do not give a damn about what a "source close to the Red Wings camp" allegedly says happened.
Oh aye, the voices in Jagr's head exposing Shero's conspiracy to not sign Jagr and then blame him are a much more reliable source.
I just think its a joke to judge a persons whole character based on some stuff that is hardly uncommon in the business.
You're the one painting Shero as a conniving manipulator instead of a guy just doing his job signing hockey players to contracts via negotiations, are you not?
pens1 wrote:im sure if Shero bumped up his offer we wouldnt be watching him put up nice numbers in Philly whiles Sullivan (ex Pred) cant hit the side of a barn
LOLLLL if Jagr had a real agent capable of answering his phone maybe they could've haggled like adults in a business instead of trying to play games using the amateur negotiating tactics he learned from syndicated Entourage reruns and booking his previous clients' cat food commercials.
i wonder if his agent is that bad? i mean he got his client a contract double what the other parties were offiering- ill let him get me my next job if i can get double also
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

NeddieVedder wrote: You're the one painting Shero as a conniving manipulator instead of a guy just doing his job signing hockey players to contracts via negotiations, are you not?
I have never said I blame Shero for it. He is a smart guy, did what was best for him at the time as he believed Jagr was done and not worth having on the team.

Do I agree, no, but thats all there is to it.

Jagr is not a saint, but he should not be hated and spit on because of some vague reasons that merely exists, that is all. Thats just sad.

NeddieVedder Sorry if I came across too harsh against you. You brought up some valid points in a constructive manner, which I appreciate :thumb:
Last edited by Lesky on Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.