Jagr Watch 2017

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Jagr to PHI

Post by neophool »

I'M GOING TO GO AND RIP UP THE PHILLY CONTRACT, I DONT CARE ANYMORE!
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Henry Hank »

There's really not anything confusing about it. Pens made offer they deemed was final. After Jagr stalled for a day, they gave them a deadline of 11 AM to make a decision on the offer. From what I gathered on it, Jagr didn't even respond to that offer, so they withdrew it. Jagr tried to jerk the Pens around, they weren't having any of it and moved on. Simple.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Just watched the Shero press conference. But over the last few days – as of last night, for me – it didn't really feel right. To come back to the Penguins seemed like a tap-in for me....

Jagr is not a Shero type of guy...
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

Lesky wrote:Ray Shero press conference:
. It never came down to a money issue with Jagr. It honestly never came back to that. There’s some reports that he came back and asked for more, but he never did. So he might have had something in his mind that he wanted or where he wanted to go. He never asked for more money. We never got into that negotiation.
What the hell is this? Was Jagr too ashamed to ask Ray Shero for more money? Or did Jagr take Shero for his word when he said submitted his best offer?

Why is Ray Shero speaking of "negotiating" since he had said he already submitted the best offer possible and would not change that?

To me things does not add up at all.
You keep trying to find reasons for it to not be Jagr's fault. What transpired seems pretty simple, and there's no smoke. Pens made an offer based on what they could afford and based on their conversations with Jagr. If you look at that quote, Jagr never came back and said "make it X and I'll do it." He just ignored the offer.

It was all a show, which seems to be what he wanted. He didn't want to play for Mario or Pittsburgh.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

Also epic will be the hate that Rangers fans will rain down on him. Don't forget the PHI-NYR rivalry is pretty strong.

I love this season already.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

KG wrote:Just watched the Shero press conference. But over the last few days – as of last night, for me – it didn't really feel right. To come back to the Penguins seemed like a tap-in for me....

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?i ... ghpenguins" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can tell that Shero doesn't give a **** about Jagr signing elsewhere.
Good for him (and the Pens)....this team will not be duped by the FA market.
And as RS points out, they loaded up on 7/1 last year.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Henry Hank »

Based on what he said, I think Shero was put off by their negotiating tactics but yeah he has no reason to care. He made his offer, they weren't cooperating, he moved on. Business.

If anyone is burned about it, it would be Lemieux. He can't be happy with the way Jagr conducted himself, especially since Lemieux personally reached out to him.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Henry Hank wrote:Based on what he said, I think Shero was put off by their negotiating tactics
Who wouldn't be? :pop:
MyMonkey
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by MyMonkey »

Henry Hank wrote:There's really not anything confusing about it. Pens made offer they deemed was final. After Jagr stalled for a day, they gave them a deadline of 11 AM to make a decision on the offer. From what I gathered on it, Jagr didn't even respond to that offer, so they withdrew it. Jagr tried to jerk the Pens around, they weren't having any of it and moved on. Simple.
And... They still even waited until 1140a. Screw Jagr, he's the same mental case he's always been.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Lemieux tried to set RS up a blind date with ***** and Shero left early to have a drink with his buddies.
It seems reasonable to me.
68forever
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by 68forever »

Obviously I'm a huge Jagr fan and having him come back to play for the pens for one more year would have been great. But in all honesty I never really had much hope of this happening. Even though he claims he wanted to play here get real folks. Mario has his new and younger prodigy in the works of Sid the Kid working his magic here in Pittsburgh, do you really think Jagr is going to come back here and play 2nd fiddle to that and Geno. NEVER going to happen. As much as I love Jagr there is only so much pride and nostalgia one person can swallow and let's face it Jagr is not good at swallowing either. I'm not at all happy about it being the Flyers though. now I have to live with hearing about him going to them all year from all the Flyers fans here where I live. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHH that is the unbearable part of it all. Really he couldn't pick some other team, but I always had a feeling it would never be the pens. I would have been more shocked HAD he come back to the pens then the fact he did not.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by RxBandit66 »

KG wrote:Just watched the Shero press conference. But over the last few days – as of last night, for me – it didn't really feel right. To come back to the Penguins seemed like a tap-in for me....

I tried hard NOT to blame Jagr for this, but he had every opportunity to return, no his terms, and repair his legacy and come full circle. I'm mad at Jagr for getting my hopes up, but as a fan of 25 years, I've grown impatient and frustrated with something else.....

I've been very frustrated with Penguins' management over the past year or so. Allowing the star players to play a winter classic on standing water was hard for me to understand. Then to allow Sid to play against Tampa one game after the Steckel hit and get a second concussion with an 8-1 lead in the game. The refusal to fix or even acknowledge the power play. The constant shady reports about the status of Sid. The fact that Bylsma and Shero go out of their way to avoid having ANY European players on the Penguins (I'd bet a large sum that Mario was behind the Kovy thing this past spring). Jagr is not a Shero-type of guy. Either was Gonchar. It's odd to me that Malkin is basically the only European player on the team. The more "North American" the Pens roster has become, the worse Malkin's play has gotten.

Shero has made some good moves, and signed some players for under thair market value. I'll give him credit for that. But part of me does not like the way this team is being run now. This whole Jagr thing stinks, and quite frankly I don't know why he would pick the Flyers of all teams, if he did not feel low-balled or insulted in some way. Mario wanted Jagr. Shero and Bylsma may have been at odds with old #66. All my friends were excited for days about Jagr returning, and I kept telling them, "the Penguins will find some way to screw it up, just you watch."

I know I'll probably be flamed on here for questioning Shero and Bylsma's actions. And it is true that Mario lets his friendships and personal emotions get involved in personnel decisions (like when he brought Dann Quinn back). But the team that Shero and Bylsma have assembled to their liking has won just one playoff series in the past two seasons. Maybe I'm selfish, but I wanted to see Jagr go out a Penguin, have his number retired, and for things to work out the right way. Shero and Bylsma I don't think appreciate the player Jagr was and still is, and what he meant to the organization. I never missed any of his games as a Penguin. He and Mario are the only reason I became a Pens fan. I'd just like to hear what Mario thinks about all of this. We'll probably never know. All I know is that Jagr seemed to have every intention of coming here until speaking with Shero.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

bhaw wrote:
Lesky wrote:Ray Shero press conference:
. It never came down to a money issue with Jagr. It honestly never came back to that. There’s some reports that he came back and asked for more, but he never did. So he might have had something in his mind that he wanted or where he wanted to go. He never asked for more money. We never got into that negotiation.
What the hell is this? Was Jagr too ashamed to ask Ray Shero for more money? Or did Jagr take Shero for his word when he said submitted his best offer?

Why is Ray Shero speaking of "negotiating" since he had said he already submitted the best offer possible and would not change that?

To me things does not add up at all.
You keep trying to find reasons for it to not be Jagr's fault. What transpired seems pretty simple, and there's no smoke. Pens made an offer based on what they could afford and based on their conversations with Jagr. If you look at that quote, Jagr never came back and said "make it X and I'll do it." He just ignored the offer.

It was all a show, which seems to be what he wanted. He didn't want to play for Mario or Pittsburgh.
Look, Sheros press conference changed everything for me. I actually came away relieved from it - liking the way Shero handled himself.

1. Jagr signing with the Penguins was not about money. If Jagr had wanted more money to sign with the Penguins Jagr would have asked Shero to up his bid. As Jagr never did that the money was not deciding factor IF he were to sign with Pittsburgh. Somewhere along the way Jagr obviously decided to not sign with the Penguins - or he could not make up his mind if he wanted or not.

---
Regardless:

It makes me feel good because Shero could not have acted any differently. Now I never have to think about what could have happened if Shero had replied to Svobodas demands and upped his bid by 0.5 million.

But if it was all about money for Jagr, he surely would have tried milking Ray! Personally I think Jagr is scared of coming back to Pittsburgh because of the bad reputation he got last time. Jagr does not seem to a person that likes to confront problems/issues he has had in the past.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

Henry Hank wrote:Based on what he said, I think Shero was put off by their negotiating tactics but yeah he has no reason to care. He made his offer, they weren't cooperating, he moved on. Business.
LOL. How could Shero be put off by their negotiating tactics when they were never negotiating with him? Never asking him for more money.

I could understand if he was put off by their LACK OF NEGOTIATING though - as he must have thought Svoboda acted very irrational and perhaps was insane.

Its the first time in my life I hear someone that is supposed to be looking for more money yet not asking for it :?: :)

At the same time I believe Jagr did not like Shero very much and I think Shero was genuinly happy that Jagr did not sign.
NeddieVedder
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by NeddieVedder »

RxBandit66 wrote:But part of me does not like the way this team is being run now.
Funny, I came out of today even more convinced at how professional and organized they were.
But the team that Shero and Bylsma have assembled to their liking has won just one playoff series in the past two seasons.
It's somewhat rhetorically dishonest to suggest that the team they assembled this spring was by design or to their liking.
Maybe I'm selfish, but I wanted to see Jagr go out a Penguin, have his number retired, and for things to work out the right way.
Evidently that didn't mean much to Jagr. As opposed to the coach who gushed about him in the media and the GM who offered him a contract and allowed him to deliberate for days longer than he'd have preferred.
All I know is that Jagr seemed to have every intention of coming here until speaking with Shero.
I don't know who could come out of this thinking that Jagr had many intentions of coming here at all.
adambpsu
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by adambpsu »

Lesky wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:Based on what he said, I think Shero was put off by their negotiating tactics but yeah he has no reason to care. He made his offer, they weren't cooperating, he moved on. Business.
LOL. How could Shero be put off by their negotiating tactics when they were never negotiating with him? Never asking him for more money.

I could understand if he was put off by their LACK OF NEGOTIATING though - as he must have thought Svoboda acted very irrational and perhaps was insane.

Its the first time in my life I hear someone that is supposed to be looking for more money yet not asking for it :?: :)

At the same time I believe Jagr did not like Shero very much and I think Shero was genuinly happy that Jagr did not sign.
Well, I think waiting until the 11th hour to start the nonsense of "we have a lot of options now" and "multiple teams are now involved in discussions" is fairly off-putting in terms of negotiating given the circumstances.
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

Lesky wrote:

There was this guy by the name of Hossa that you might of heard of. He and his agent keeping stringing Shero along until he got what he thought was a better deal. Shero learned at that point to stop waiting for somebody to make up his mind on July 1st. The Jagr camp got what they want, more money, leave it at that. That was the end game of this whole excerise, surely you can see that.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

I'd rather have Sullivan for $1 mil + then Jagr at $3 mil +
PensOnDVD
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by PensOnDVD »

What Shero SAYS, and what happened, may be two different things.

It's called taking the high road.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

adambpsu wrote:
Lesky wrote:

Well, I think waiting until the 11th hour to start the nonsense of "we have a lot of options now" and "multiple teams are now involved in discussions" is fairly off-putting in terms of negotiating given the circumstances.
Thats still not negotiating. Negotiating is tweaking the numbers for a better contract. Changing offers back and forth to try to reach a deal. To me Svoboda and Jagrs actions are not logical at all. So I really have no idea what went through their minds.
adambpsu
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by adambpsu »

PensOnDVD wrote:What Shero SAYS, and what happened, may be two different things.

That's a good point. I don't think there is any question about who was the classier party in this saga.
adambpsu
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by adambpsu »

Lesky wrote:
adambpsu wrote:
Lesky wrote:

Thats still not negotiating. Negotiating is tweaking the numbers for a better contract. Changing offers back and forth to try to reach a deal. To me Svoboda and Jagrs actions are not logical at all. So I really have no idea what went through their minds.
I think that "negotiating" (if you can call it that) came from Svoboda's tactics of disseminating that other teams were involved in potential move to get a higher offer out of Shero and/or drive up the price offered by others. There are too many variables to what happened behind closed doors to really now how this was handled between Camp Jagr and Pittsburgh et al.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

adambpsu wrote:
PensOnDVD wrote:What Shero SAYS, and what happened, may be two different things.

That's a good point. I don't think there is any question about who was the classier party in this saga.
What? So you are saying if Shero is lying about what actually happened, that would be proof of him being even classier?

I thought Shero handled the situation OK if he described true events of what happened. Whatever Shero was lying or hiding could not make him look better in any way.

So if he indeed covered something up it was to make himself look better.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by HomerPenguin »

This is seriously the greatest thread in the history of the internet tubes. Even now that the whole ordeal is over, statements are being parsed like somewhere in the subtext are clues to the meaning of life. Shero gets cast as the bad guy because he wouldn't grossly overpay a 40 year old who last touched NHL ice 3 years ago, and because last year he elected to build one of the top 5 defense corps in the league instead of grossly overpaying a 36 year old offensive defenseman who last season scored all of 27 points and was a -15.

Epic.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Dude. Get some sleep.

Edit: @ Lesky
Last edited by the wicked child on Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.