Hossa to DET

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by crzymike »

Sarcastic wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
crzymike wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:You know what WOULD sting me, though? If Hossa takes $7m or so from the wings, long-term. It'd be like a girl dumping you for another guy or something. :lol:
Exactly. He stated that it was close between us and the wings. It's like taking the head Cheerleader over the girl right behind her, from our perspective, kind of hard to take..
Bad analogy, i'd want to make it with them both too
+1

Maybe they even have one other friend. 3 girls and one guy sounds good.
lol Lets not go down that direction again. :)
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

crzymike wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
crzymike wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:You know what WOULD sting me, though? If Hossa takes $7m or so from the wings, long-term. It'd be like a girl dumping you for another guy or something. :lol:
Exactly. He stated that it was close between us and the wings. It's like taking the head Cheerleader over the girl right behind her, from our perspective, kind of hard to take..
The problem is though, it's an either or situation. You couldn't have both.
I don't need both at the same time necesarily. A one night stand with the one then a summer fling with the other is fine. Especially after spending a few years with one of the girls on the flag team.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

crzymike wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
crzymike wrote:
+1

Maybe they even have one other friend. 3 girls and one guy sounds good.
lol Lets not go down that direction again. :)
Alright. We don't want it deleted. They delete a lot of stuff. Weirdos.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by crzymike »

Idoit40fans wrote:
crzymike wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
crzymike wrote:
I don't need both at the same time necesarily. A one night stand with the one then a summer fling with the other is fine. Especially after spending a few years with one of the girls on the flag team.
lol I think you are missing my point but your way sounds more interesting. :)
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

Idoit40fans wrote:
crzymike wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
crzymike wrote:
So you mean we had Hossa, now we can go get another guy. I actually am looking forward to Satan. He's got talent, can skate, great shot. It won't be so bad. Hopefully not as bad as what happened to me once. I tried picking up this girl. I was young and didn't know what I was doing. Picked up her friend instead that was... 50 lbs heavier. No idea how it happened, but all of a sudden she thought she was my girlfriend and came over to meet my grandma. WTH. I guess I was nice to her, but I really wanted her friend.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by crzymike »

Is it really any wonder why I love talking about ''Hossa'' in here? 8-)
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

crzymike wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
crzymike wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
crzymike wrote:Exactly. He stated that it was close between us and the wings. It's like taking the head Cheerleader over the girl right behind her, from our perspective, kind of hard to take..
I am missing the point, but rather intentionally, because its more entertaining that way.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by crzymike »

Idoit40fans wrote:
crzymike wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
crzymike wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote: Bad analogy, i'd want to make it with them both too
I am missing the point, but rather intentionally, because its more entertaining that way.
This is true. I can't argue that point in any way.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

OK, guys. 2:30. Need to sleep.

Mike, find someone who'll give you that hug. A female friend, maybe. Hope your wife is not the jealous type.

Nite.
therock48880
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by therock48880 »

Idoit40fans wrote:
crzymike wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
crzymike wrote:The Francis analogy really works here. He wasn't considered our first or second best player but he was part of the glue and quality depth that would help propell this team forward. If the guy was here for three and a half years I wonder if more people would care he's gone. To me it's the same thing as it pertains to losing a quality player.
I would. Thats exactly the point though, he was here for 3 months, no reason to be that attached.
I am looking at it from a perspective of pure talent and potential contributions. Just because he was here for a matter of months doesnt mean the loss is easier to take from my point of view. Players like him don't obviously come around much. We may feel worse due to the fact he was part of the Pittsburgh family and fabric for longer (3 and a half years). The loss however as far as his abilities is really the same.
Yeah but losing talent isn't generally what bothers people, its the emotional attachment being broke that bothers them. Otherwise no one would have cared about Armstrong leaving. Given I didn't care about Armstrong leaving, so I guess i'm some kind of hybrid that only really cares about players that have been around for a while and are better than dime a dozen.
Hypothetical situation: Had Hossa signed a one year, 7.4 million dollar deal with Ducks, would you guys be just as upset as you are now? Or does it have to do with the fact that he went to the Wings?

When the Wings lost in the SCF to the Devils in 94-95, I was crushed. To this day, I still can't stand the Devils. I would imagine Pitt fans feel the same way about the Wings this year. So, I'm wondering if this is a 35 page thread because Hossa left, of because Hossa became a Wing. Just curious.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by littlemoonboot »

I don't think things would have exploded nearly as much had Hossa gone to Anaheim or San Jose, or cashed out to go somewhere like Edmonton. I think some people would have gotten pretty mad if he ended up on another Eastern team like New York or Montreal. But I still don't think that would have stung nearly as much as going to the one team that had just beaten you in the Stanley Cup finals. And furthermore it's not out of the question that Detroit and Pittsburgh could vie for the Cup in the future. So all things considered I think it's the fact that he became a Wing coupled with the timing of it.

I can only think of one thing that would have pissed fans off more: going to the Flyers. (But Hossa said he wanted to play for a winner!)

What actually made me the most angry wasn't his actual decision, but I felt he was somewhat deceptive and dishonest about his decision. But regardless of the facts -- I've moved on, myself. That's not to say it won't be a fun thing to watch this year, and I sure don't wish Hossa success in his venture. I will enjoy joking around about the whole thing because that's what fans do. But I'm not really fuming about it and what matters most is that Shero didn't waste time wringing his hands about it and we can look forward to who we have playing for us now.

Love for your own players and team > hatred for another player or team.

I just come in here and post stupid things because it suits the thread. :)
Last edited by littlemoonboot on Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

going back a page:

If the Pens could find a way to fit him in next year and he wanted to come back, I would have no hesitations welcoming Hossa back. Absolutely no reason not to bring him back other than personal grudges. Of course, I still think that he would cost so much that it would ultimately make the team weaker.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by farnham16 »

No to Hossa next offseason. I'd rather take a run at Marian Gaborik. He's younger and more offensively gifted.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by JoseCuervo »

bhaw wrote:going back a page:

If the Pens could find a way to fit him in next year and he wanted to come back, I would have no hesitations welcoming Hossa back. Absolutely no reason not to bring him back other than personal grudges. Of course, I still think that he would cost so much that it would ultimately make the team weaker.
agreed. Signing long term would have hurt the team depth-wise despite being such a good player.

Also Gaborik will be out of our range too next year :( . I'm looking at kotalik, afinogenov, or a good power forward next offseason.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

littlemoonboot wrote:I don't think things would have exploded nearly as much had Hossa gone to Anaheim or San Jose, or cashed out to go somewhere like Edmonton. I think some people would have gotten pretty mad if he ended up on another Eastern team like New York or Montreal. But I still don't think that would have stung nearly as much as going to the one team that had just beaten you in the Stanley Cup finals. And furthermore it's not out of the question that Detroit and Pittsburgh could vie for the Cup in the future. So all things considered I think it's the fact that he became a Wing coupled with the timing of it.

I can only think of one thing that would have pissed fans off more: going to the Flyers. (But Hossa said he wanted to play for a winner!)

What actually made me the most angry wasn't his actual decision, but I felt he was somewhat deceptive and dishonest about his decision. But regardless of the facts -- I've moved on, myself. That's not to say it won't be a fun thing to watch this year, and I sure don't wish Hossa success in his venture. I will enjoy joking around about the whole thing because that's what fans do. But I'm not really fuming about it and what matters most is that Shero didn't waste time wringing his hands about it and we can look forward to who we have playing for us now.

Love for your own players and team > hatred for another player or team.

I just come in here and post stupid things because it suits the thread. :)
For me it stunk because by all accounts pittsburgh was his choice until he got up and had the agent call Holland. It was like losing in game six all
over~ almost a goal...a just miss of the open net.

If Hossa had said from June 6th I am moving on...I would say~ chao.
It was Hossa's quote~ they give me the best chance to win a cup~
that I didn't appreciate. He could have been talking about the islanders.
Quote just insensitive to his former teammates and their effort that only
ended on 6/4.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by littlemoonboot »

I doubt Hossa would want to come back, but even if he did I wonder how some of the teammates would respond? I mean, we had players like Crosby and Malkin taking discounts with the belief that they were part of something really great, and I had to wonder how they felt when Hossa made his decision.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

littlemoonboot wrote:I doubt Hossa would want to come back, but even if he did I wonder how some of the teammates would respond? I mean, we had players like Crosby and Malkin taking discounts with the belief that they were part of something really great, and I had to wonder how they felt when Hossa made his decision.
Gaborik. kthxbai.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by littlemoonboot »

penny lane wrote:Quote just insensitive to his former teammates and their effort that only
ended on 6/4.
Agreed...this is why I absolutely love the Pensblog's reference to "Hossa 3:16" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

It has nothing about being emotionally attached to Hossa for me. We all knew that he might leave. He played well while he was here, not great for the most part. It's tough to pull for his success going forward though. He played games with RS. He made many poorly worded quotes along the way that don't support his actions. He initiated the contact with Detroit and bent over backwards to sign a 1 year contract.

I think his bridges are burned with the Pens and life goes on.

I only got involved with this discussion as to the Babcock supposed invite which is also questionable. But now the source, Scotty Bowman, has jumped the Detroit ship for Chicago. This makes it all the more of a soap opera storyline.

As far as hating Detroit, I don't. I actually grew up watching teams affiliated with the Wings and respect them. But not enough to root for them against the Pens.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

Let me remind you...

JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by JoseCuervo »

Kovy27 wrote:Let me remind you...

Did you know that was a complete accident?

Especially after seeing his 20 botched chances in the series
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

JoseCuervo wrote:

He scored huge, important goals in the playoffs. Everyone knocks him for moving on...but it was his choice. Nothing more, nothing less. Now, I hope the Wings get beat in the 1st round.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Kovy27 wrote:He scored huge, important goals in the playoffs. Everyone knocks him for moving on...but it was his choice. Nothing more, nothing less. Now, I hope the Wings get beat in the 1st round.
i haven't done this in a while...

QFT
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by JoseCuervo »

Kovy27 wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:

He scored huge, important goals in the playoffs. Everyone knocks him for moving on...but it was his choice. Nothing more, nothing less. Now, I hope the Wings get beat in the 1st round.
I personally think any capable scoring winger that can keep up with sid can easily make up for hossa's goals. It's the backchecking we'll miss.

Talbot's goals were much more clutch.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

JoseCuervo wrote: I personally think any capable scoring winger that can keep up with sid can easily make up for hossa's goals. It's the backchecking we'll miss.

Talbot's goals were much more clutch.
Talbot's goals are always clutch.

People tend to forget that Hossa came here in a trade. There was 0 guarantee that he was going to stay. Unlike most deadline deals, this deal turned out positive for the Penguins.

If the Penguins would have scored goals in Game 1 and 2...they might have the Cup and not Kris Draper and his kid's feces. Sad, but true.

We will find if any capable scoring winger can keep up with Sid. Satan is very capable.