Around the League: Transactions

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Around the League: Transactions

Post by meow »

Briere officially dunzo in Philly. Is there a sports franchise that is more disrespectful to it's players than Philly? I know he's overpaid and it's a business blah, blah, blah, but I don't understand how it makes for an attractive atmosphere to want to come into.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

meow wrote:Briere officially dunzo in Philly. Is there a sports franchise that is more disrespectful to it's players than Philly? I know he's overpaid and it's a business blah, blah, blah, but I don't understand how it makes for an attractive atmosphere to want to come into.
Because you can sign there, make an absurd amount of money, then just hang out on IR and make bank. What easier way to become a bagillionaire. Philly loves to give away dough.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Flyers Statement on Danny Briere
http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=674673" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Pitts wrote:
meow wrote:Briere officially dunzo in Philly. Is there a sports franchise that is more disrespectful to it's players than Philly? I know he's overpaid and it's a business blah, blah, blah, but I don't understand how it makes for an attractive atmosphere to want to come into.
Because you can sign there, make an absurd amount of money, then just hang out on IR and make bank. What easier way to become a bagillionaire. Philly loves to give away dough.
I'm in the wrong business.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Pitts wrote:
Not only that... but then you get bought out, and get 2/3rds the money owed to you and sign a completely new deal with another team. Essentially double dipping for the years that remained on your first contract.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Beveridge »

I don't know why people rip on Philly and the LTIR thing. Pronger on LTIR is better for Pens than not by a long shot.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Beveridge wrote:I don't know why people rip on Philly and the LTIR thing. Pronger on LTIR is better for Pens than not by a long shot.
Mike Rathje
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by joopen »

Beveridge wrote:I don't know why people rip on Philly and the LTIR thing. Pronger on LTIR is better for Pens than not by a long shot.
For how long tho?
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

I don't have a problem with the Pronger thing. The guy is legitimately hurt. Not sure how you hold that against them. It's not like they made up his injury.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

Briere will have 20 teams asking for his services when he becomes a FA on July 5. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up Detroit or Buffalo.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

:scared: Ruff to Dallas :scared:
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

I guess that team needed a younger voice...
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Tippett re-signed with the Coyotes as well...
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

bhaw wrote:I don't have a problem with the Pronger thing. The guy is legitimately hurt. Not sure how you hold that against them. It's not like they made up his injury.
This... anyone who thinks they would not rather have had him playing this whole time is not considering that Pronger is easily Top 5 defenders in the time that he played. You don't want that guy in the owners box....
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

Idoit40fans wrote::scared: Ruff to Dallas :scared:
Can anybody explain why Ruff is taken to be a really good coach? I don't mean this in a snarky way at all; I'm just curious. When we were all speculating the Bylsma would get the boot, a good many people proposed Ruff a replacement. As far as I can tell, Buffalo had decent talent during Ruff's tenure, and Ruff got decent results...nothing that screams "coaching genius" on the surface of things. I appreciated that Buffalo, for the most part under Ruff, played an up-tempo, end-to-end style that was fun to watch, but that's about it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Buffalo had no talent for much of Ruff's tenure and he got good results.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Yeah I don't get the Ruff love either. He had a good team when the lockout ended and then because he had been in place for so long was dubbed a good coach. I don't buy it.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Pavel Bure wrote:Yeah I don't get the Ruff love either.
heh
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Ruff is a good coach. Not his fault that injuries and Ryan Miller imploding when it matters along with getting cheated by Dallas and Hull for a Cup happened.

A lot can be said about Bylsma too but I haven't watched enough Sabres to see if Ruff is as stubborn when things clearly aren't working as Bylsma is.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

It's going to be interesting to see what a Vaignault team with a real goalie can do in the playoffs now. Torts in Vancouver will be hilarious.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

largegarlic wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote::scared: Ruff to Dallas :scared:
Can anybody explain why Ruff is taken to be a really good coach? I don't mean this in a snarky way at all; I'm just curious. When we were all speculating the Bylsma would get the boot, a good many people proposed Ruff a replacement. As far as I can tell, Buffalo had decent talent during Ruff's tenure, and Ruff got decent results...nothing that screams "coaching genius" on the surface of things. I appreciated that Buffalo, for the most part under Ruff, played an up-tempo, end-to-end style that was fun to watch, but that's about it.
Ability to adapt and unite players into a wholesale system.

Think to late 90's Sabres: defensive minded, limited game breaking ability and offensive creativity. Helped mold a strong backchecking team that did a good job removing rebounds from the offensive team to reduce possession time.

Fast forward to post-second lockout: One of the top coaches to adapt to the "new NHL" and molded a team of small, fast, skilled players to play an up-tempo style that utilized puck-movers (see: emergence of Brian Campbell and his meteoric rise) from the back end to make stretch passes. Would have gone to 2006 Finals if 5 of 6 d-men weren't hurt in Conference Finals vs. Carolina.

Does a good job of generating offense through a quality PMD (Zhitnik, Woolley, Campbell, Ehrhoff), creates a good amount of goals from his back line.

Stubborn and stuck in his ways. Maybe not the best in terms of in-game adjustments. Not sure about his communication ability, I've heard mixed reviews. Maybe not the best in terms of youthful development.

Lindy was a ham n' egger when he played. Pretty rough skater, no particular puck skills, but a hard worker that did well defensively. He played defense and left wing. But was a great team guy...named captain at some point or another. And he likes to keep a player or two like that handy, at least to some degree. Jochen Hecht comes to mind past his expiration...
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by marek »

Bernier to Toronto?!?!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 8m Leafs acquire Bernier from the Kings for Matt Frattin, Ben Scrivens and second round pick in 2014 or 2015.
we have a trade~ practicing for next sunday. 8-)
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by npv708 »

Wow. Love the trade from the Leafs perspective. Reimer and Bernier are a great 1-2 punch.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

penny lane wrote:
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 8m Leafs acquire Bernier from the Kings for Matt Frattin, Ben Scrivens and second round pick in 2014 or 2015.
we have a trade~ practicing for next sunday. 8-)
Reimer to the Pens E2