Isles-vs-Pens Official Presidents Day Game thread (2/19/07)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

Gary wrote:
CP2 wrote:
Ron` wrote:Gary, I agree he's tired. The string has run out. Rest him and then let's drive to the home stretch. Tbo played a good game Sunday, I would not be afraid to let Fluery rest for the next two actually.
Better and more succint than I could have said.
However, I woudn't say he's not a top 15 goalie. When he isn't overused, he's probably top 5. Consider how poor the Pens defense plays. Three of the goals today were completely not his fault. That means the other three were his fault, though.
He's a top 10 goalie right now in this league period, and he's obviously worn down right now. Few goalies in this league have gotten shelled with quality shots like he has this season. When this blue line gets altered in the off season, he will have much better stats. Not just wins, all the other stats.
CP2

Post by CP2 »

yur saying if a team only has 5 shots, a goalie should stop al of them? remeber a bulk of those came on a PP for the other team, our PK sucks, all 5 shots that he could face could be amazing, he could let all of them in, SV% can be misleading
I don't totally disagree.

1. It's not perfect but its better than GAA.
2. Penalty Killing starts with a good non-rebound generating goalie. I think Vancouver has the best PK in the league at 89%. The previous year they were 18th with 81%. The difference is mostly Luongo.
GeoTank
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by GeoTank »

The d is letting too many guys get in the back door on MAF he doesn't have eyes in the back of his head. and the steal by blake and follow up amazing tip in from out of the air was great, nobody but the horrible pass can be blamed for that. Sure up the d and MAF will be broudur like. I mean gonchar, melichar, and scudari (pardon my spelling) where lost for most of the 2nd and 3rd.
GeoTank
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by GeoTank »

speaking of pads didn't i hear durring one of the intermissions that these where new pads?

Not that thats an excuss but it might be a contributing factor.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

GeoTank wrote:speaking of pads didn't i hear durring one of the intermissions that these where new pads?

Not that thats an excuss but it might be a contributing factor.
I think he has new pads but these were the old ones.
CP2

Post by CP2 »

I have been critcal of MAF. Somewhat deservedly, I think.

BUT, isnt the onus on Shero to go pick up a Brewer/Blake/Jovo caliber d-man to solidify this defense.

Then the onus is on MT to manage Fleury's workload so he is rested and peaks coming into the playoffs.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

Did you ever think that his recent lack of rebound control is not related to his fatigue? That was something he really had to work on and focus early on. It's slipping, he's tired physically and mentally.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Changing ones opinion to dislike MAF based on this one game -or- loving Malone or Recchi based on this one game is simply moronic. One game good or bad, does not make or break a player.
CP2

Post by CP2 »

Jim wrote:Changing ones opinion to dislike MAF based on this one game -or- loving Malone or Recchi based on this one game is simply moronic. One game good or bad, does not make or break a player.
How about 5 games in a row? is that OK? :D
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

CP2 wrote:
Jim wrote:Changing ones opinion to dislike MAF based on this one game -or- loving Malone or Recchi based on this one game is simply moronic. One game good or bad, does not make or break a player.
How about 5 games in a row? is that OK? :D
5 games would definately make a trend which would be something to think about. You would have to consider possible injury/illness as well. But you would definately have better grounds for an argument.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kicksave »

Kicksave wrote:I'll sacrifice and go to class.

If they lose from here on out, its Peter's fault.
ahem.....
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kicksave »

MarioLemieux1992 wrote:
Kicksave wrote:

ahem.....
peter left shortly after you did
So?
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dagny »

Kicksave wrote:
MarioLemieux1992 wrote:
Kicksave wrote:

ahem.....
So?
You wouldn't believe how fast the game turned THE MOMENT you left. It was a little eerie... :shock:
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kicksave »

dagny wrote:
Kicksave wrote:
MarioLemieux1992 wrote:
Kicksave wrote:

ahem.....
So?
You wouldn't believe how fast the game turned THE MOMENT you left. It was a little eerie... :shock:
I know. I wasn't here to balance out the funk that Peter brings.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

I think the two day rest will be good for MAF. I wouldnt sit him on thursday because of the confidence issue. If i was the goaltending coach, i would ride MAF a little in practice, but let him bounce back and redeem himself after a game where he let in a couple SOFF goals. The majority of the blame should go to awful defensive hockey, though, not the goalie who made incredible saves to get us points (see: chicago) MAF has single handedly kept the streak going on some instances.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

This thread almost has as many views as the Mellon Arena has seats. :shock:
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by The U »

I have NEVER seen MAF so depressed after a loss. Wow, he was like, on suicide watch.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by André »

relantel wrote:
Deas wrote:
And was he really on the ice on all 5 of the Islander's even strength goals? He was on for the Penguins three even strength goals but was a -2 according to ESPN.
Crosby was NOT on the ice for Isles goal #5 - ESPN/TSN are simply repeating the NHL's error by still not having credited players on the ice for the Pens 5th goal - thereby showing him -2 instead of only -1, and thus +13 instead of +14. We're more than an hour after the end of the game, and they still show "Data Pending" for that goal. (Malone's HT goal) Sid being on the ice for that even-strength goal-for is the difference.
He's still at -2. Where do you see that "data pending" thingie?