GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by Kraftster »

MWB wrote:
Kraftster wrote:
MWB wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:I have to second slappy. I've tried several good saisons, just can't get into them. The carbonation is off putting
Third. I still want to try them every now and then to see if it changes.
If the three of you haven't already, I think you have to start at the source: Saison Dupont Vieille Provision. Shaf, you should not be having carbonation issues with saisons, or, at the very least, you should not stereotype saisons as being overly carbonated. There may be some out there--Jolly Pumpkin Bam comes to mind--but many saisons are very soft on the palate. I would say that at the correct temperature, the saison dupont should have what I would consider a medium body with a very soft mouthfeel. Some saisons are more prickly, but one of the things I like most about the more classic saisons is the ability to have a nicely bodied beer that finishes extremely dryly.
I took your advice and tried the Saison Dupont. It was, as I often find with saisons, ok. I think part of it is that I don't pick up on the nuances of saisons since I haven't had that much experience with them. I understand what slappy says about it being lite beer with flavorings. It definitely has the light mouth feel to it. I also don't like the dry finish. I really like a good IPA, in part because of the strong, full finish. I have a hard time clearly explaining it, but I like the full mouth feel I get with stouts and IPA's, a feeling that I don't get with a saison. I want to keep trying them, but I would probably be better off waiting for warm weather again when I like a lighter finish.
Glad you gave it a shot. The only thing that surprises me a little bit is that you felt it was a light mouthfeel. It really hits solidly in medium category for me, but it sounds like we're working from different baselines.

I would encourage you to keep trying them only because it took me a long time to come around on IPAs, but with that said, I agree with Columbia that it will be tough to find one in the style you like.

I will also suggest that perhaps it's a style that fills a different role than the beers you're used to drinking. I often refer to sours, porters/stouts and some heavier DIPAs as "Sunday beers" for me. Sunday nights I want a beer like that to drink on the couch watching some Sunday night HBO/Showtime shows. I'll drink a saison then because I love them, but that's not ideal for me. One reason is it makes me want to eat. The dry finish you mention makes saisons excellent for drinking with a ton of foods. I especially like them with spicy food, like Thai food or greasy foods like lobster Mac n cheese or something. They're quenching with the heat and cut through the grease. But yeah, that dry finish makes me want to eat or snack on something, so I usually drink saisons with good. It typically works out to half the bottle with my meal then the other half to try to pick up all of the nuances, warmed and ready to be analyzed.

I know how you feel on the nuances and being able to pick them up. That's how I still feel about IPAs. I feel like I could do a respectable job of reviewing a saison in geeky fashion but not an IPA.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Re that Hennepin, saisons don't age well. Pretty prone to taking on oxidized flavors in my experience. Stale, wet cardboard. I notice them sour a bit too.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Columbia, I'm not an IPA expert, but in addition to the suggestions you've received, I'll throw a really balanced beer like Victory HopDevil out there. The malt presence shows you how nicely hops can work when balanced against malt, as opposed to just going for bitterness.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Ok, thanks for the suggestion. :thumb:
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Draai Laag Geestelijke...pretty tasty. kicked me in the face a little. ermagerdfarmhouse.zip
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

shafnutz05 wrote:
slappybrown wrote:I have a confession: Southern Tier sucks ball bag. There I said it.

Ok, sucks is harsh, but overrated, definitely. Never had a single beer of theirs that made think I needed to have it again. Their Choklat is probably the closest.
Slappy hates Southern Tier worse than Penn State
lololol

Honestly, I haven't had too much of their stuff. I really like their porter and the Choklat is awesome. I can't find the born on/bottled date on the IPA I had. It did seem to improve as it warmed up so who knows.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I agree with slappy that their IPA isn't really all that fantastic. I don't think it has a skunky taste, but I do think it's far too bitter and not enough aroma and taste of hops. Their other stuff is really, really good, but the IPA isn't my favorite and likely wouldn't buy it again.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

2x IPA is good, not as big a fan of the regular though
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

shafnutz05 wrote:2x IPA is good, not as big a fan of the regular though
:thumb:
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

I like the eurotrash pils and the harvest ale.

The regular pale ale and matt and phin are bad imo. I think they're best at specialty beers and provide nothing for the standard offering type of beers.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

This was out of their "Fuse Box" case which is the IPA, Porter, and the PMX and for which they make suggestions for mixing.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Now that I think about it, I've never had ST's regular IPA... Only the 2xIPA which is pretty tasty, imo.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

looking at the ST beer list, 28 of those 30 beers have been released. Having tried all of those more than a few times, I'd have to say there are very few that I've disliked or even thought were average.

2XMAS would probably be bottom for me. IPA, Pilz, & Old Man would be middle of the road, but would still drink. Don't have any issues with the rest. Obviously it's subjective, but they are a top brewery for me. That's a solid list of beers.

http://www.stbcbeer.com/our-beers/
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

their IPA and Phin and Matt's are pretty unremarkable. I've had most of the other ones and they're all really good beers. Like you said 2xmas is bottoms, but likely due to style, not necessarily taste. I'm not a fan of the spiced christmas ales. I'll have one or two a year, but that's about it. I still have 4 Greatlakes Christmas Ales from last year in my fridge... I bought a 6 pack of them.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

slappybrown wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:
slappybrown wrote:I have a confession: Southern Tier sucks ball bag. There I said it.

Ok, sucks is harsh, but overrated, definitely. Never had a single beer of theirs that made think I needed to have it again. Their Choklat is probably the closest.
Slappy hates Southern Tier worse than Penn State
lololol

Honestly, I haven't had too much of their stuff. I really like their porter and the Choklat is awesome. I can't find the born on/bottled date on the IPA I had. It did seem to improve as it warmed up so who knows.
Their Oatmeal Stout was great. But alas, the ball bags appear to have discontinued it.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

To clarify, shad, notorious LGP scofflaw and rule-breaker, edited my post and inserted his horrendous lies in a concerted effort to besmirch my name. I would never use such foul and low-class language. For shame, shad.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

count2infinity wrote:their IPA and Phin and Matt's are pretty unremarkable. I've had most of the other ones and they're all really good beers. Like you said 2xmas is bottoms, but likely due to style, not necessarily taste. I'm not a fan of the spiced christmas ales. I'll have one or two a year, but that's about it. I still have 4 Greatlakes Christmas Ales from last year in my fridge... I bought a 6 pack of them.
I am going to try one of their suggested mixes tonite when I get home. I know you have experience with mixing styles IIRC, but I haven't ever tried it.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Not a ton of experience mixing styles... I do black and tans, mixed creme brulee stout with pumking, and kolsch beers with lemonade, but that's about it.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

shafnutz05 wrote:
columbia wrote:I picked up the Yuengling Oktoberfest at the Kroger. My first impression was "it seems like a 75."
BA rating: 76.
This is solidly enjoyable for the price point
Just picked up a case ($25) and this is good. I'd give it an 80 on taste alone and a 90 factoring in the price.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

I really like Southern Tier's Porter. This is the beginnings of my seasonal transition.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

Factorial wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:
columbia wrote:I picked up the Yuengling Oktoberfest at the Kroger. My first impression was "it seems like a 75."
BA rating: 76.
This is solidly enjoyable for the price point
Just picked up a case ($25) and this is good. I'd give it an 80 on taste alone and a 90 factoring in the price.
I've mentioned it before but the Summer Wheat was surprisingly good as well
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I think the Summer Wheat succeeds a bit better for the intended style, but yes.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

I would go out of my way to get some Yuengling Summer Wheat. Not sure I can say that for any of their other styles (honestly not much of a fan of Oktoberfest stuff. It's good but I don't think I'd go out of my way to drink the style).
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Pumking is good but not take all my money good. Still tasty though.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

New Holland's Saison isn't bad