Jagr Watch 2017

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Penguins want Jagr back?!

Post by Gaucho »

Maybe JJ or his agent told RS that they wanted to see what's out there, test the market a bit, if only to put some pressure on RS. And then RS decided that he's not going to be made a fool by a 39-year-old former superstar who refuses to grow up. RS wins again.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by sil »

penny lane wrote:what in Hades happen? :(

I think Jaromir in short tournament the play-offs, good. 82 game season with practice...

GM Shero; you're up with plan B!
Jagr wasn't plan B, but I have a hard time feeling that he was Shero's plan A.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

Steve wrote:I usually try to avoid the "jump to conclusions" mat - but for the Pens to withdraw their offer 10 minutes before free agency starts - there's obviously more here to this story.

it seems that Jagr or his agent could have done something to piss off the Pens or #66.

Anyway, Shero isn't going to overpay for Jagr. Let someone else do that.
The more to this story is that Jagr still can't make up his mind and Shero needs to act NOW to find a winger before they disappear off the market.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

I think Shero has a very detailed plan going into noon now. I trust him, as he hasn't done anything without reason. I'll gladly wait to see how this plays out.

The bidding war comment was a clear sign that it was about money. Shero wants players that want to be here due to the cap situation.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Post by darkstar57 »

Shero realistically offered what he could, he has about 5.5 million in free cap, kennedy probably going to eat up around 2 mils of that, i am sure shero though was i get Jagr/kennedy/Player x for 5 million and i head into the season with about 500k in cap space (a thing shero likes to do)
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by HomerPenguin »

pittsports87 wrote:So now we are gonna overpay for Kennedy and have the worst right wings in hockey!
Somebody save me a jump-off spot on the Ft. Pitt Bridge!
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Desiato »

I'm relieved. We dodged a bullet. I can't wait for the cap room to dwindle down enough to ensure this can't happen. If Jagr brings this much drama to the off-season, can you imagine 82 games + the playoffs with him? No thanks. He would have been a major distraction all season.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by TheHammer24 »

Dave's_a_Killer wrote:
pittsports87 wrote:So now we are gonna overpay for Kennedy and have the worst right wings in hockey!
We may not even sign Kennedy!! :scared:
Yeah; I'd like to hear something in the next 2 minutes!
Kerry Fraser
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Kerry Fraser »

Shero isn't the one who treated this whole process like a 4 year old, Jagr and his agent were. I hope they both rot in Montreal or Detroit. His legacy for me is forever ruined because of the way he conducted himself here.
Last edited by Kerry Fraser on Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Pens15 »

This has always been about nostalgia far more so than hockey. We could sign Steven freaking Stamkos and it wouldn't have excited me as much as Jags. Not the same anyway.
helmespc
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by helmespc »

Shero obviously had 2 game plans going into free agency.... 1 w/ Jagr involved and 1 w/o. He had to make a decision before free agency started so Shero knew what his plan was. No decision meant Shero had to go without. The offer had to be withdrawn so Shero could act accordingly when 12pm rolled around.
66 Fighters of Foo
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by 66 Fighters of Foo »

While I'm dissapointed Jagr won't be playing for the Pens, I'm totally fine with Shero's move. I don't know who to blame, Jagr or Svoboda, but they strung the Pens out way too long. If Jags wanted to play in Pittsburgh, it wasn't a complicated decision to make.

Unless some news comes out that this was a total fumble by Svoboda, it's hard not to think Jagr damaged his relationship with The Penguins, and Mario, even further.

I'm hoping some news comes out that explains why it came to this. If Jagr's getting grossly overpaid by some team, fine. But if he signs for just above what Shero offered him, not-at-all fine.
drnort
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by drnort »

Steve wrote:I usually try to avoid the "jump to conclusions" mat - but for the Pens to withdraw their offer 10 minutes before free agency starts - there's obviously more here to this story.

it seems that Jagr or his agent could have done something to piss off the Pens or #66.

My bet is that Shero made a firm offer....said there was no room for negotiations. Jagr/Svoboda came back to him this morning and said we will sign for $xx. Shero said "forget it".

They called his bluff and thought they could get more money out of him.
Dan H
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Dan H »

Now I wonder if Lesky is going to totally melt down, or just sleep for 18 hours, wake up, grab his hockey gear, go play, and forget about Jagorim Jarg.
jamespensfan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by jamespensfan »

Blaming this on Shero is ridiculous. He did the right thing. THE RIGHT THING!
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

Sarcastic wrote:

The more to this story is that Jagr still can't make up his mind and Shero needs to act NOW to find a winger before they disappear off the market.
how can something that's not there disappear? :pop:
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Desiato »

sil wrote:
penny lane wrote:what in Hades happen? :(

I think Jaromir in short tournament the play-offs, good. 82 game season with practice...

GM Shero; you're up with plan B!
Jagr wasn't plan B, but I have a hard time feeling that he was Shero's plan A.
I think Jagr was plan M. Jagr is not a Shero guy.
Dave's_a_Killer
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Dave's_a_Killer »

You mess with the bull Svoboda, you end up getting the horns.
Kerry Fraser
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Kerry Fraser »

66 Fighters of Foo wrote:While I'm dissapointed Jagr won't be playing for the Pens, I'm totally fine with Shero's move. I don't know who to blame, Jagr or Svoboda, but they strung the Pens out way too long. If Jags wanted to play in Pittsburgh, it wasn't a complicated decision to make.

Unless some news comes out that this was a total fumble by Svoboda, it's hard not to think Jagr damaged his relationship with The Penguins, and Mario, even further.

I'm hoping some news comes out that explains why it came to this. If Jagr's getting grossly overpaid by some team, fine. But if he signs for just above what Shero offered him, not-at-all fine.
Jagr's to blame. I highly doubt he's not in control of his agent's every move. I've never booed Jagr before, but I can't wait to boo his Judas ass each time he comes to this building.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

I think that Shero played this one exactly right. He made the best offer he could to Jagr. Jagr had several days to accept it, and presumably would have if he were really interested in coming back to the Pens. Instead, we get this weird drama unfolding of Jagr being MIA, Svoboda making flakier and flakier statements, etc. The Pens are Cup contenders with or without Jagr. It would have been nice, but they don't need him.

For some reason, I keep thinking of Britney Spears, "Oops I did it again"...he played with our hearts, he tried to pretend he and the Pens were more than just friends, but he's not that innocent.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by FallenHero96 »

Well any bridges Jagr had left standing are sure burned now. Sad.

So much for doing right by Mario.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Steve »

Shero isn't going to overpay for any other wingers today either.

We just made the playoffs with Sid, Geno & Staal each missing half a season. The Pens are still loaded - why overpay now? Get someone at a better $$$ during the season or at the trade deadline, assuming that they don't find someone today.
spi
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by spi »

WAY TO GO RAY!!!

I was totally on board with bringing jagr back as of wednesday. Then the drama which showed that he was full of SH!+.

Now, can they get a top 6 winger for 6 mil? who knows, but at least we will find out if 68 is a top 6 guy on another team.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

Kennedy has nothing to do with this. Shero isn't giving up a 24 year old for one year of a 39 year old who spent the past few seasons chasing a paycheck in a subpar league
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

TheHammer24 wrote:
jeffshly wrote:
Lesky wrote:I would have expected Shero to give Svoboda a call and said. You got 30 minutes to accept the contract or else we move on. That would have been more fair, and at least that would have given Jagr the chance to accept the offer in the end!
Who's to say that Shero didn't do exactly this?
Lol; yeah I am under the impression that that is exactly what happened.
Why would Shero not have mentioned it then? It would have taken 10 seconds to say it would have saved the fans from speculating.

I think he never did that simply because he never wanted to sign Jagr, he only wanted to save himself from backslash from the fans. Better the fans
hate Jagr than dislike Shero!