GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by count2infinity »

shafnutz05 wrote:Two years ago
hmmmm... I wonder how aged Hennepin compares to fresh.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

tonight I'm having Miller Fortune. my local distributor (Pistella's in Friendship). Had it on clearance for $15 a case. I saw that it was 6.9% and sort of assumed it was Miller's answer to Bud Light Platinum.

Well, this stuff tastes awful. Its like I'm 21 and desperately at the O buying 40s of Lucky Number and Laser on a Sunday night. I found out the concept was to create a beer to appeal to liquor drinkers that you would drink out of a rocks glass. I think I'd rather buy a couple of Mickeys.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

lol, I worked at the O for a summer a good number of years ago. That place was so much fun at night, especially over the weekends.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I had my first legal beer at the upstairs bar at the O.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

Terry was my landlord on Semple for several years. She loved my roomate Tony (a fellow Italian) so she basically let us do what we wanted. There was pizza, fries, and hot dogs for us anytime we had to pay rent.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

columbia wrote:Riffing off of MWB's post: which IPA do I need to drink to definitely clear up whether I like the style, because I've never enjoyed one.
Currently drinking Stone IPA, which I think is very good. Really like Lagunitas, and would probably go for the regular IPA to start. Founders All Day IPA for something a little lighter.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Can someone explain mouth feel to me because it sounds like a weird way to describe how a beer tastes. If someone asked me what the mouth feel was for any beer I was drinking, I'd say it feels wet.
It's not the taste, but the feel. Does a mouthful of milk feel the same as a mouthful of water? I guess the best I can explain it is that some beers don't really seem to stick to the inside of your mouth (saisons), but others with a fuller body do (double IPAs, stouts).
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

ST tier de garde (Belgian ipa) is good, I got a growler from yesterday so it's probably not the best first impression, but I like it. A lot of citrus with this one, looking forward to a bomber. Also, the bells best brown ale is nicely put together. Kind of reminds me of Newcastle on steroids.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

MWB wrote:
Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Can someone explain mouth feel to me because it sounds like a weird way to describe how a beer tastes. If someone asked me what the mouth feel was for any beer I was drinking, I'd say it feels wet.
It's not the taste, but the feel. Does a mouthful of milk feel the same as a mouthful of water? I guess the best I can explain it is that some beers don't really seem to stick to the inside of your mouth (saisons), but others with a fuller body do (double IPAs, stouts).
Thanks. So it's a way to explain the carbonation and thickness. Got it.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Just heard some news blur about some school offering a craft beer major. the industry is definitely big enough that it would make sense.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

There are many universities around the US that are offering short courses on brewing, and if you're going to just be an at home brewer, that's all you really need... heck, youtube can get you going at home. To be a craft brewer though, it goes beyond just making good beer, there's marketing, engineering (mechanical and electrical), accounting, etc that all have to go into it, and since it's become such a big industry, I agree, it makes sense to offer a degree that brings all of those thing together.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Warlock finally came to the State College Wegmans. Got a bottle last night and will be enjoying it at some point this week. It's by far my favorite pumpkin beer. Seems odd to me that so many breweries do pumpkin ales, and very few do pumpkin stouts.
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by tjand72 »

count2infinity wrote:Warlock finally came to the State College Wegmans. Got a bottle last night and will be enjoying it at some point this week. It's by far my favorite pumpkin beer. Seems odd to me that so many breweries do pumpkin ales, and very few do pumpkin stouts.
My local bartender tried to convince me to get one today... at $14 per. I said thanks but no thanks, since I can get it in Ohio for $8.50 per.

I get opportunity cost, but come on...
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

It was 8 bucks at Wegman's
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Recent tasting:

Dogfish Head Red and White. Ale fermented in Pinot Noir barrels. The just-bitter finish and fruity nose showcased the Pinot's impact. A nice beer to please wine lovers as well. Really would pair well with a meat meal. 10% ABV.

Dogfish Head Rosabi. IPA brewed with wasabi. The pour was of a golden orange and yellow. Good carbonation. The nose or first few sips showed zero wasabi. About halfway into the bottle, there was a slight (mild) hint of pepper, but it was tough to get wasabi heat. A bit more heat would have been nice. Have this with sushi and a dab of wasabi.

Otto's Pub and Brewery. Double D. DIPA. A really good example of a double IPA. Not too malty on the front, and just enough hops on the back. The label says it is available in bottle form or draught. I say both are just fine with me.
Last edited by BigMcK on Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

BigMcK wrote: Otto's Pub and Brewery. Double D. DIPA. A really good example of a double IPA. Not too malty on the front, and just enough hops on the back. The label says it is available in bottle form or draught. I say both are just fine with me.
If anyone's looking for this, it's really only available in State College, PA.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

That's where I had it. St. College, by George.

I highly recommend this beer! The flavor is perfectly balanced for a DIPA. Not over the top.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

re: the Sam Adams ad, where they brag about making > 60 different beers per year.

Why in God's name would that be a selling point?
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I picked up the Yuengling Oktoberfest at the Kroger. My first impression was "it seems like a 75."
BA rating: 76.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

This was surprisingly good:

shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

columbia wrote:I picked up the Yuengling Oktoberfest at the Kroger. My first impression was "it seems like a 75."
BA rating: 76.
This is solidly enjoyable for the price point
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

The standard is the standard/it is what it is/will buy again at $6.99.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

Does southern tiers IPA have a strange/unique taste so far as IPAs go? I can't tell if it's skunk or what, but it tastes bad to me.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by BigMcK »

From my selections from Southern Tier, I have not had any IPA that remotely tastes skunk.

Southern Tier is quality product. Check the bottle, if you haven't already, for drink by or borne on. You may have bottles left in the sun.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

slappybrown wrote:I have a confession: Southern Tier sucks ball bag. There I said it.

Ok, sucks is harsh, but overrated, definitely. Never had a single beer of theirs that made think I needed to have it again. Their Choklat is probably the closest.
Slappy hates Southern Tier worse than Penn State