Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
BONVIE
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by BONVIE »

I found this to be a fun read on all the ex-Penquins.....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/ho ... 1360&ei=90
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

This is the point I have been trying to make.we need to get rid of this coaching staff. That is my assessment. Keep what we have get a new staff and let the new coach tweak ahead of the deadline. Thanks for posting!
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

Funny. I just literally posted today in the Jake thread about players not performing when we acquire them and I specifically mentioned Granlund and there he is, top of the list. Huh.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Antonio wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:01 pm Funny. I just literally posted today in the Jake thread about players not performing when we acquire them and I specifically mentioned Granlund and there he is, top of the list. Huh.
Ironically the players who are performing worse are players the team never should have gotten. I give a pass on the Jared McCann improvement because he just wasn't going to get going as a Penguin, though one could argue Malkin at LW and McCann at C could have been 2/3 of a very nice 2nd line, but I won't hold his improvement against the Penguins. Granlund and Dumoulin just didn't fit a stale system.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

Liverpool Evening Standard: Klopp on Ice?
"John and I spoke months ago about this season being my last with the club. A few days ago he mentioned he might have an opening at one of his other teams. He asked me what I knew about ice hockey. I told him it has always been a passion of mine."

https://r.mtdv.me/articles/9QJECV9HXu
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

Give me Krupp instead of Klopp and I'm good with the choice :⁠-⁠)
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pekkasteele »

Maestro wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:30 pm Liverpool Evening Standard: Klopp on Ice?
"John and I spoke months ago about this season being my last with the club. A few days ago he mentioned he might have an opening at one of his other teams. He asked me what I knew about ice hockey. I told him it has always been a passion of mine."

Well, he said he will not work at all next season, so I guess Sully for next year to :shock:
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

pekkasteele wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:06 am
Maestro wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:30 pm Liverpool Evening Standard: Klopp on Ice?

Well, he said he will not work at all next season, so I guess Sully for next year to :shock:
Very interesting reading about the guy. Sounds just like what has been missing around here...
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/catch ... m_medium=x

KD and the Pens are impressed with Yager and his progression to the next level.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

KG wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:45 pm https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/catch ... m_medium=x

Man, that would be nice to have a draft pick develop enough to be a good NHLer. It seems like it's been quite a while since that happened. Puustinen has overachieved as a former 7th-rounder, but it's not clear that he has a super high ceiling. And that's about it for Pens' draft picks actually breaking into the team and contributing in the past couple years, right?
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

largegarlic wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:20 pm
KG wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:45 pm https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/catch ... m_medium=x

Man, that would be nice to have a draft pick develop enough to be a good NHLer. It seems like it's been quite a while since that happened. Puustinen has overachieved as a former 7th-rounder, but it's not clear that he has a super high ceiling. And that's about it for Pens' draft picks actually breaking into the team and contributing in the past couple years, right?
Puustinen has 22 NHL games played. Poulin has 3. Both from the 2019 NHL draft. Nobody from 2020-2023 has played an NHL game yet for the Penguins. Blomqvist from 2020 draft is probably close. Svejkovsky and Ansons, also from 2020 draft, are in AHL. 5th round pick from 2021, Isaac Belliveau is currently playing in Wheeling.

Calen Addison, 2nd rounder from 2018, and Gustavsson , 2nd rounder from 2016, and Sprong, 2nd rounder from 2015 also have played a fair amount of games for other teams.

From 2015-2023 drafts, Simon, Sprong, Puustinen, Bjorkqvist, Poulin and Hallander are the only players to suit up for the Penguins. 46 drafted players, 6 have played games for us. That's absolutely putrid, and shows how bad our drafting is.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

I read what I could of the new TIOPS article. They said league-wide opinions on what Dubas will do at the deadline are 50/50. They're reporting the potential of a "soft retool"—whatever that means. They also reported that Dubas could very well lay the groundwork for a Guentzel deadline deal that would help jumpstart this process. However, FSG seems to want to push off any retool until the summer. I guess we'll see who's really calling the shots in about a month.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

dark_forces wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:42 pm I read what I could of the new TIOPS article. They said league-wide opinions on what Dubas will do at the deadline are 50/50. They're reporting the potential of a "soft retool"—whatever that means. They also reported that Dubas could very well lay the groundwork for a Guentzel deadline deal that would help jumpstart this process. However, FSG seems to want to push off any retool until the summer. I guess we'll see who's really calling the shots in about a month.
50/50. That's some real inside info :D Thanks TIOPS.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:53 pm
dark_forces wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:42 pm I read what I could of the new TIOPS article. They said league-wide opinions on what Dubas will do at the deadline are 50/50. They're reporting the potential of a "soft retool"—whatever that means. They also reported that Dubas could very well lay the groundwork for a Guentzel deadline deal that would help jumpstart this process. However, FSG seems to want to push off any retool until the summer. I guess we'll see who's really calling the shots in about a month.
FSG wants to push off a retool until this summer....um, your main guy that may jumpstart a retool will be gone this summer if you don't do something before then.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:58 pm
FSG wants to push off a retool until this summer....um, your main guy that may jumpstart a retool will be gone this summer if you don't do something before then.
Delay is the worst thing that the Penguins could do.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

IntangibleBeer wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:19 pm
They apparently want to follow the Detroit model...delay until it is way too late and suffer for years on end. LA and Boston have been able to balance the line of being good and picking up high picks to retool (more LA than Boston). Chicago has done that to some degree now. Detroit was awful in the amount of time they waited, and the Penguins seem to be echoing that path.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:37 pm
They apparently want to follow the Detroit model...delay until it is way too late and suffer for years on end. LA and Boston have been able to balance the line of being good and picking up high picks to retool (more LA than Boston). Chicago has done that to some degree now. Detroit was awful in the amount of time they waited, and the Penguins seem to be echoing that path.
Apparently true, because they have now delayed to the point where another chance at a Cup is gone. If they delay further, they are going to be perpetual cellar dwellers. That will be a lot tougher for fans than the very lean 1980s or early 2000s were because ticket prices are sky-high. I can't see people paying these outrageous prices to watch AHL caliber (or worse) hockey once the core is gone.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

Anybody still think Dubas will blow up the coaching staff after his week off of omphaloskepsis? :lol: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navel_gazing

:wink:
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Poulin was promoted to first line center for yesterday's WBS game. Team lost 4-1, but maybe he's close to getting re-called. Hopefully Poulin, Puljuarjarvi and Puustinen are all up next week. Puustinen was playing LW and Puljujarvi on the RW with Z in the middle. Wonder how much longer until we sign Puljujarvi.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Sid is the only Penguins player selected for the 2024 All-Star game this weekend. Another indicator that this team needs an infusion of younger talent?
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

A large trash can at the ASG media scrum spoke highly of Sidney Crosby:

Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:44 am A large trash can at the ASG media scrum spoke highly of Sidney Crosby:

Not that I would expect any NHL player to talk **** on another player, especially at the ASG. But it honestly saddens me a bit how dampened down the WSH/PIT rivalry has become. Maybe since the teams haven't met in the playoffs now since 2018 but the way these 2 teams and fanbases hated each other at the peak of OV/Backstrom/Sid/Geno was next-level.

There is (I think) a modest respect both sides (teams and fans) have for each other now.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:37 pm
I like the way the rangers handled their rebuild. That would be a great model to follow.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Boston did quite a rebuild on the fly between seasons this year. It can be done.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FSG bringing back Theo Epstein (former GM of the Red Sox)

Jen McCaffrey
@jcmccaffrey
Theo Epstein will have a wide-ranging role as senior advisor for FSG, including acting as an “executive coach” for Craig Breslow and Penguins GM Kyle Dubas.