Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Post by count2infinity »

My friend that I had lunch with today brought up a couple good points about the death penalty...

1st as I had mentioned earlier, this is 5 people that were involved in the cover-up. At SMU it was the entire athletic department, and according to my friend, it went so high as the governor of Texas. EVERYONE knew about it and they continued to do it after being punished for it on multiple occasions. This is not the case at PSU.

2nd he said he was curious how many businesses would go under if PSU football was canceled for a few seasons. Many of the companies downtown make the bulk of their money in 7 weekends a year. SMU is in Dallas, TX. Much much larger than State College, PA, so I doubt many of the companies there went under. I'm sure they were hurt, but I would need to see numbers somewhere. If the death penalty were invoked, the town as a whole would be hurting for a long time to come.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Nike taking Paterno's name off child care center
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_210 ... are-center" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

count2infinity wrote: If the death penalty were invoked, the town as a whole would be hurting for a long time to come.
Well according to a lot of people around here the town as a whole is essentially responsible anyways for their 'culture', so kill em all.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

Troy Loney wrote:PSU people don't seem to bite on this line of thinking, they don't think there's anything wrong with being obsessed with PSU football.
Replace PSU with any other football or sports program powerhouse. Society in general has a problem with putting individuals and institutions on pedestals.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

columbia wrote:Nike taking Paterno's name off child care center
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_210 ... are-center" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hate to say it, but statue should be gone too now.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

steve784 wrote:
columbia wrote:Nike taking Paterno's name off child care center
Hate to say it, but statue should be gone too now.
agreed. i doubt his name will be removed from the library because he poured so much money into it, but the statue should be gone.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

viva la ben wrote:It's too bad the media wasn't involved in 1998.
Yeah we should put Mr. Media in jail also. And Mr. Cop since they investigated and did nothing.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Does Penn State have a social work academic program?
I'd like to see the university put a LT effort in supporting/mentoring those types of professionals, who do great work in protecting children.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:PSU people don't seem to bite on this line of thinking, they don't think there's anything wrong with being obsessed with PSU football.
Replace PSU with any other football or sports program powerhouse. Society in general has a problem with putting individuals and institutions on pedestals.

Well...there's only one institution that's been caught harboring a serial pedophile.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

Rocco wrote:PSU saw their coach fired and disgraced, their 2011 season tanked, their 2012 recruiting class torpedoed, and will have this stigma around them for 50 years. I don't think they will be untouched by any defintion of the word.
This is just a flat out lie. PSU has the best recruiting class they've had in years, and one of the best in the country. Please don't spread any more false truths than there are in this thread already. I think the school will be a lot better off than people think. Penn State is, above all, a premier research institution. Not a football program. Don't forget that.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

steve784 wrote:
count2infinity wrote: If the death penalty were invoked, the town as a whole would be hurting for a long time to come.
Well according to a lot of people around here the town as a whole is essentially responsible anyways for their 'culture', so kill em all.
can you really say that the culture in state college had no part in empowering curley, spanier, paterno, etc. to look the other way?
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

pittsoccer33 wrote:Fast food joints that were drug dealing spots were shut down for those reasons.
it was a sad day when this happened to my local Salsarita. and i didn't even have a chipotle or qdoba around to fill that void.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:
Rocco wrote:PSU saw their coach fired and disgraced, their 2011 season tanked, their 2012 recruiting class torpedoed, and will have this stigma around them for 50 years. I don't think they will be untouched by any defintion of the word.
This is just a flat out lie. PSU has the best recruiting class they've had in years, and one of the best in the country. Please don't spread any more false truths than there are in this thread already. I think the school will be a lot better off than people think. Penn State is, above all, a premier research institution. Not a football program. Don't forget that.
Not to mention just having their second highest ever level of annual donations (per 93.7).
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

columbia wrote:Does Penn State have a social work academic program?
I'd like to see the university put a LT effort in supporting/mentoring those types of professionals, who do great work in protecting children.
I would be shocked if student groups here didn't put something together in light of these events.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Troy Loney wrote:
Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:

Well...there's only one institution that's been caught harboring a serial pedophile.
I'm not sure of your point? PSU fans shouldn't have been obsessed with PSU football but other sports fans are allowed to be obsessed with their sports team? PSU fans had no idea that Sandusky was abusing children.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote: I'm not sure of your point? PSU fans shouldn't have been obsessed with PSU football but other sports fans are allowed to be obsessed with their sports team? PSU fans had no idea that Sandusky was abusing children.
YES THEY DID ARGGHGGHGHGHG YOU PEOPLE LIKE FOOTBALL TOO MUCH ANYONE ASSOCIATED WITH PENN STATE EVER SHOULD GO KILL THEMSELVES.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
steve784 wrote:
can you really say that the culture in state college had no part in empowering curley, spanier, paterno, etc. to look the other way?
That culture exists in many places other than State College. When Roethlisberger was accused of sexual assault, many people unequivocally stood behind him without knowing of the full facts of the case. It might not have been to the level that people stood behind Paterno, but Paterno had done more for State College and PSU than Ben had done for Pittsburgh.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:
KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
steve784 wrote:
That culture exists in many places other than State College. When Roethlisberger was accused of sexual assault, many people unequivocally stood behind him without knowing of the full facts of the case. It might not have been to the level that people stood behind Paterno, but Paterno had done more for State College and PSU than Ben had done for Pittsburgh.
I still don't see how anyone could have rationally believed that he was not among the powerful at PSU that had looked the other way.
People see what they want to see, I guess.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

steve784 wrote:
Sam's Drunk Dog wrote: I'm not sure of your point? PSU fans shouldn't have been obsessed with PSU football but other sports fans are allowed to be obsessed with their sports team? PSU fans had no idea that Sandusky was abusing children.
YES THEY DID ARGGHGGHGHGHG YOU PEOPLE LIKE FOOTBALL TOO MUCH ANYONE ASSOCIATED WITH PENN STATE EVER SHOULD GO KILL THEMSELVES.
Meh...do whatever you want. We've already had this argument, no need to bang our heads against the wall.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

People calling for all PSU games since '98 to be now marked as a forfeit.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

The sense of disappointment I am feeling today is overwhelming.

It's one thing to look at a fact pattern and understand there's a high likelihood that someone was involved in something they shouldn't have been. It's something else to see it documented in black and white.

Growing up in the area and ultimately going to school at Penn State, it was impossible to not have anything by the highest regard for Paterno. And as I've said in the past, nearly every PSU alum I know has a "Joe" story. Now....... it's clear that given the totality of information we were wrong to have once thought so highly of Paterno. Despite all his philanthropy, despite all his decades of toil for the University, despite everything good he ever did, when the curtain was pulled back it turned out he was just as self-interested as anyone.

This report sort of creates a whole new spate of quasi-victims in this case. Again, as I said in my previous death penalty comments, I'm in no way attempting to draw any sort of equivalency to the actual victims who suffered real physical and emotional pain because of the actions and inaction of some incredibly weasily little men. But there can be no denying that the tens of millions of Penn State alumni and millions upon millions of non-alumni fans of the school and Paterno in particular have been pretty deeply stung by this report.

So saddened by this news, I can't even begin to explain it.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Factorial wrote:People calling for all PSU games since '98 to be now marked as a forfeit.
lolololol

The vultures are truly circling. Bunch of holier-than-thou, grandstanding turds.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

The thing that irked me about JoePa was that there were so many reports and stories, too many that they could all be wrong, of him getting players out of trouble, preferrential treatment and the like. Everyone (before today) that was all "one mistake doesn't take away all the good he's done" didn't realize, or refused to admit that there was a past of taking care of things himself.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

My only Joe story is walking by him near Eisenhower auditorium.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

shafnutz05 wrote:
Factorial wrote:People calling for all PSU games since '98 to be now marked as a forfeit.
lolololol

The vultures are truly circling. Bunch of holier-than-thou, grandstanding turds.
I just heard that on the radio too.