Isles-vs-Pens Official Presidents Day Game thread (2/19/07)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
CP2

Post by CP2 »

MarioLemieux1992 wrote:
ChiTraderRob wrote:
CP2 wrote: MAF is the Rex Grossman of the NHL...I am saying we need to get Griese warmed up - just in case.
I guess a Pens loss after a long streak opens the doors to the idiot store.
and CP2 is the CEO
Whatever. :roll: Winning can hide a lot of problems but goaltending is why the Pens can't win the Cup this year.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

tifosi77 wrote:
MarioLemieux1992 wrote:]they are 3rd in the east as of now :P
Not until they overtake New Jersey. The division winners are seeded 1-2-3 regardless of points. The Pens have more points than the #3 team (Tampa Bay), but they are seeded #4 cos Jersey (in #2) is in their division.
In rare defense of ML92, he was talking about Tampa Bay...
CP2

Post by CP2 »

MarioLemieux1992 wrote:
CP2 wrote:
give me a break...grossman has terrible numbers and barely ever produces...the pens would have a lot less points if it wasnt for fleury...this is probably the dumbest comment ive ever heard. grossman? what an awful analogy....idiot.
Grossman led the league in wins and was 7th in TDs.

MAF doesn't lead the league in wins even though the offense is close to the top. He is not in the top 7 goalies in the league. He is not in the top 25 for SV%.
did you ever play hockey before?
That is the stupidest question I have ever heard....I know hockey but I am not a blind homer.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

CP2 wrote:
MarioLemieux1992 wrote:
ChiTraderRob wrote:
CP2 wrote: MAF is the Rex Grossman of the NHL...I am saying we need to get Griese warmed up - just in case.
and CP2 is the CEO
Whatever. :roll: Winning can hide a lot of problems but goaltending is why the Pens can't win the Cup this year.
I would have to disagree on that one. I think the lack of a solid blueline has alot more to do with that than the goaltending. MAF is wearing down imo.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

PensFanBryan wrote:Fleury hasnt played a good game since the Nashville game. This is now 5 consecutive starts he has given up 4 or more goals. How can you defend the way he has been playing? I agree, I dont want to see T-Bo either, but right at this minute, maybe T-Bo is the better play. Yesterday was the only game so far in February that MAF has sat out. Maybe he needs to sit out and rest some more. Can you really blame the Defense on all of those 5 games? I know you cant blame the Offense.
Yes, I think it has more to do the defense (or lack thereof) in front of him.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

Winning can hide a lot of problems but goaltending is why the Pens can't win the Cup this year.
No team will ever win the Cup with Alain Nasreddine, Rob Scuderi and Joe Melichar on the roster at the same time.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Ah, my apologies. I mis-read the thread and thought he was talking of the Pens.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

CP2 wrote:
MarioLemieux1992 wrote:
ChiTraderRob wrote:
and CP2 is the CEO
Stop posting and everyone stop responding to him, he's lost and has no idea how the game works and does not understand how the complicated position of goaltender works...just leave him alone, his soapbox will eventually collapse, Fleury's next game he'll be back on track, he's a fantastic goaltender and very young (check it out, Marty and Patrick Roy, I believe, were just getting started, Fleury has plenty of time ahead of him, I'm not panicking, as a matter of fact, I wish I could get him on a 15 year deal here)
CP2

Post by CP2 »

Ron` wrote:
CP2 wrote:
MarioLemieux1992 wrote:
ChiTraderRob wrote:
and CP2 is the CEO
I would have to disagree on that one. I think the lack of a solid blueline has alot more to do with that than the goaltending. MAF is wearing down imo.
You're right. The defense is part of the problem. Today and over the last couple of weeks MAF let in a couple weak, weak goals.

Bring in Brewer to help out.
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dagny »

What's the matter with some of you??? What's the deal with all the personal attacks and name calling lately???

You all know darn well that these things are against the rules. Everyone hates all the fighting and bickering. Well, it would be greatly reduced if people would stop being so frelling rude to each other.

Are you guys running rampant because RJ's got more important things to tend to? Have some consideration and respect. If that's not in your repertoire, then just follow the rules!

It is possible to disagree and discuss.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

CP2 wrote: Bring in Brewer to help out.
Wow, the final nail in the coffin, you misjudge our players and other players...I've said this before I'll say it again, if I want Eric Brewer, I'll call up a better, younger version of him in Noah Welch, until then, they can keep underachiever Brewer, and two-hand chop Guerin...
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Jesse »

pfim wrote:
Winning can hide a lot of problems but goaltending is why the Pens can't win the Cup this year.
No team will ever win the Cup with Alain Nasreddine, Rob Scuderi and Joe Melichar on the roster at the same time.
Why are we victimizing Nasreddine?

He's been very solid for us and wasn't even on the ice in the last game.

Or against NJ.

In fact, the breakdowns started when he left.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by André »

What scares me is Crosby's determination in the final shifts of a close game. Look at the Chicago game and now tonight.

Can't wait to see him in the playoffs!

btw, shouldn't he have a cheap 2nd assists on the PP goal Recchi scored just before the net was knocked off?

Gonchar gives it to Crosby in the corner, gets it back and shoots wide only see Recchi score on the rebound of the board. When did Staal touch it?

And was he really on the ice on all 5 of the Islander's even strength goals? He was on for the Penguins three even strength goals but was a -2 according to ESPN.
duke66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by duke66 »

...oh no the sky is falling...fleury's a bum, crosby can't score, our d is the worst in the nhl...i hate life...man some of u guyz/girls take this s*** WAY too seriously...there are 82 games in a season, and last time i checked no team has ever gone 82-0-0...so relax with the one loss already...during the incredible streak, the pens won more than a couple of games they didn't deserve...so maybe today they lost one they deserved to win...take a trip to chill-town...
CP2

Post by CP2 »

mikey287 wrote:
CP2 wrote:
MarioLemieux1992 wrote:
ChiTraderRob wrote:
and CP2 is the CEO
Stop posting and everyone stop responding to him, he's lost and has no idea how the game works and does not understand how the complicated position of goaltender works...just leave him alone, his soapbox will eventually collapse, Fleury's next game he'll be back on track, he's a fantastic goaltender and very young (check it out, Marty and Patrick Roy, I believe, were just getting started, Fleury has plenty of time ahead of him, I'm not panicking, as a matter of fact, I wish I could get him on a 15 year deal here)
No idea of how the game works? You make me :D

I don't disagree with the idea that Fleury has the potential to be a stud goalie over the next 3 year period. He should be a top golaie soon. He's not there now. He has undoubtedly shown flashes of brilliance but to deny he is way too inconsistent is denying the obvious.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Geezer »

pfim wrote:
Don't forget,playoff rosters are expanded. Those 3 could be on the roster and never dress in the playffs(If they had someone to replace them,that is) :D
CP2

Post by CP2 »

MarioLemieux1992 wrote:
CP2 wrote:
MarioLemieux1992 wrote:
CP2 wrote:
give me a break...grossman has terrible numbers and barely ever produces...the pens would have a lot less points if it wasnt for fleury...this is probably the dumbest comment ive ever heard. grossman? what an awful analogy....idiot.
Grossman led the league in wins and was 7th in TDs.

MAF doesn't lead the league in wins even though the offense is close to the top. He is not in the top 7 goalies in the league. He is not in the top 25 for SV%.
did you ever play hockey before?
That is the stupidest question I have ever heard....I know hockey but I am not a blind homer.
i'm not questionig your "hockey smarts" just did youever play before?
YES! I started when I was 5.
Pensfan4life27
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Todays Game

Post by Pensfan4life27 »

Even though today ended the Pens awesome streak at 14-0-2 and keeps us at 5pts behind NJ...there is no reason to point fingers at players...esp. Fluery. You rest Fluery yesterday becuase you played two games within 22 hrs of eachother. The Pens will go down to Florida and play two great games, may not win both, but no teams really ever do when they hit the sunshine state. The Pens will finish in the top 8 and thats all that matters, cause once this team is into the playoffs teams aren't gonna wanna play Crosby, Malkin, Staal, and Fluery for 5/7 games.

For all you people who diss Fleury cause he gives up 4/5 goals in a game...lets see you put on the pads and save games standing on your head against top notch nhl players. The Islanders are a very strong offensive team even though their record doesn't necessarily show it. So give Fluery a break...and stop yelling about how you want to trade the whole team...hockey is based on chemistry and attitude....trust me. I've played for 15 yrs now.

Go Pens!
schreibdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by schreibdog »

Deas wrote:Gonchar gives it to Crosby in the corner, gets it back and shoots wide only see Recchi score on the rebound of the board. When did Staal touch it?
I think Staal deflected Gonchar's shot that caused it to go wide?