The Official Fire Sullivan & Staff Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: The Official Fire Sullivan & Staff Thread

Post by Puck-Lurker »

FLPensFan wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:41 pm
Puck-Lurker wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:13 pm
IntangibleBeer wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:19 pmAnd the standing order is: 2 pass maximum before shooting the puck.
I've always liked that kinda thing to simplify things. I'd say get set up, then 2 passes is fine by me. Park someone around the net (I miss Patric), fire pucks, profit. PP needs to get deeper anyway, enough of that perimeter only stuff, get someone below the goal line.
I dunno. Can this team actually complete two passes in a row? They don't seem to be very good at completing tape to tape passes well in any phase.
Enter the zone, skate into positions, get the puck to Karlsson. He shoots, or the one he passes to shoots, try to recover the puck, repeat. Getting the puck deep has been a problem too though.

Meanwhile, give Hörnqvist a PTO...?
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

Fine anyone who makes more than two passes on a PP.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:57 pm
IntangibleBeer wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:19 pmAnd the standing order is: 2 pass maximum before shooting the puck.
I've always liked that kinda thing to simplify things. I'd say get set up, then 2 passes is fine by me. Park someone around the net (I miss Patric), fire pucks, profit. PP needs to get deeper anyway, enough of that perimeter only stuff, get someone below the goal line.
I dunno. Can this team actually complete two passes in a row? They don't seem to be very good at completing tape to tape passes well in any phase.
Enter the zone, skate into positions, get the puck to Karlsson. He shoots, or the one he passes to shoots, try to recover the puck, repeat. Getting the puck deep has been a problem too though.

It's more like, get the puck to Karlsson - pass to Malkin, back to Karlsson, back to Malkin, back to Karlsson, back to Malkin, back to Karlsson, back to Malkin, back to Karlsson, over to Letang, back to Karlsson --- ad nauseam. It HAS to stop.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

From Sean McIndoe of The Athletic on the Penguins...talking about changes to the Penguins

It’s not hard to figure out where they might happen. Dubas is capped out, has a weak prospect pipeline and has no first-round pick this year. That leaves two possibilities: An old-fashioned hockey trade, which we’re told is impossible these days, or a coaching change. That’s felt impossible too, at least in Pittsburgh where Mike Sullivan has two rings’ worth of insulation. But with a new GM, a frustrated fan base, few other options and no playoff wins in five years, Sullivan has shot to the top of plenty of “next coach fired” lists.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:00 am From Sean McIndoe of The Athletic on the Penguins...talking about changes to the Penguins

It’s not hard to figure out where they might happen. Dubas is capped out, has a weak prospect pipeline and has no first-round pick this year. That leaves two possibilities: An old-fashioned hockey trade, which we’re told is impossible these days, or a coaching change. That’s felt impossible too, at least in Pittsburgh where Mike Sullivan has two rings’ worth of insulation. But with a new GM, a frustrated fan base, few other options and no playoff wins in five years, Sullivan has shot to the top of plenty of “next coach fired” lists.
Well said. Agreed. There's really not a lot of options out there trade wise. Can't fire the team, so you fire the coach type of situation. Curious to see how they come out against Arizona tomorrow.

Saw this from Danny Shirey:

"Danny Shirey
@DannyShireyPGH
Evgeni Malkin had 6 points at 5v5 through the first 5 games of this season.

He has 7 points at 5v5 in 21 games since.

We’re at the point of his career where we’ll see more and more of these up-and-down swings in his play."

This is why many of us were pushing to get a legit 3C who can produce offense when Geno goes through his dry-spells. They are way too reliant on 87/71.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Pitts wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:58 am
Puck-Lurker wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:57 pm

It's more like, get the puck to Karlsson - pass to Malkin, back to Karlsson, back to Malkin, back to Karlsson, back to Malkin, back to Karlsson, back to Malkin, back to Karlsson, over to Letang, back to Karlsson --- ad nauseam. It HAS to stop.
With how awful it's been, might as well let Karlsson literally be the PP QB and call the plays. Get the puck to Karlsson, let him direct everyone else, then shoot the puck and get a dirty goal. Sometimes being clever isn't as good as just being fundamentally good.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

KG wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:11 am
FLPensFan wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:00 am From Sean McIndoe of The Athletic on the Penguins...talking about changes to the Penguins

Well said. Agreed. There's really not a lot of options out there trade wise. Can't fire the team, so you fire the coach type of situation. Curious to see how they come out against Arizona tomorrow.

"Danny Shirey
@DannyShireyPGH

We’re at the point of his career where we’ll see more and more of these up-and-down swings in his play."

This is why many of us were pushing to get a legit 3C who can produce offense when Geno goes through his dry-spells. They are way too reliant on 87/71.
Outside of Malkin, Sid, Rust, Jake, Letang, Pettersson, and Jarry (sure I missed someone) who else was on the roster even 2-3 years ago? With that many changes on the ice, when do people start looking at the coaching staff?

They kinda did fire most of the team over the past 2-3 years and replaced the GM.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Daniel wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:57 am
KG wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:11 am

"Danny Shirey
@DannyShireyPGH

Outside of Malkin, Sid, Rust, Jake, Letang, Pettersson, and Jarry (sure I missed someone) who else was on the roster even 2-3 years ago? With that many changes on the ice, when do people start looking at the coaching staff?

They kinda did fire most of the team over the past 2-3 years and replaced the GM.
Yep. This is something I've said the past 1-3 years. The bit parts have changed. The things that have remained constant are Sullivan and the core. That's where they eyes should be looking.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Sullivan just cannot help himself when it comes to the PP:

They've got Puustinen alternating between the right flank and the bumper on the power play. Crosby is on the left flank. Would have liked to see Puustinen in his spot on the left circle. That's where he was on the second unit in Florida and they got one of his cannon one-timers out of it.

Look, he's not Ovi, but Puustinen has been known to feast in Ovi's left circle spot, ripping off rocket shots from that location. So Sullivan puts him on the RW side. :face: :face:

I'm starting to wonder if Sullivan is trying to get Sullivan fired at this point. It's comical.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:12 am Yep. This is something I've said the past 1-3 years. The bit parts have changed. The things that have remained constant are Sullivan and the core. That's where they eyes should be looking.
That's why I didn't want to resign Malkin, Letang, Rust. Retool around Sid, trade Jake, have a couple of down years, try for 1 more cup before Sid retires. I get the marketing aspect of the trio being together for 20 years, and it's a great accomplishment, but then why sign Rust?

Why not have 2-3 down years starting in let's say 2020 and try for one more go for it.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:40 am Sullivan just cannot help himself when it comes to the PP:

They've got Puustinen alternating between the right flank and the bumper on the power play. Crosby is on the left flank. Would have liked to see Puustinen in his spot on the left circle. That's where he was on the second unit in Florida and they got one of his cannon one-timers out of it.

Look, he's not Ovi, but Puustinen has been known to feast in Ovi's left circle spot, ripping off rocket shots from that location. So Sullivan puts him on the RW side. :face: :face:

I'm starting to wonder if Sullivan is trying to get Sullivan fired at this point. It's comical.
I think Sullivan is like most of the roster, can't be fired/traded/released and no motivation to excel. I think in the case of the core they want to go out on top, but let's face it what else do they need to accomplish in the NHL? I think Sullivan wants to succeed, but isn't hungry and knows he won't be fired.

In the end I think the on ice product is mostly going through the motions. Why I stopped paying for ESPN+.
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:40 am Sullivan just cannot help himself when it comes to the PP:

While I agree with your overall premise, if we're resorting on the success of the PP hinging on Valteri Puustinen's placement on the top unit, we're already doomed.
Crash66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Crash66 »

I've seen several WB/S games the past 2 years. Just last week the local Fox station (Harrisburg) had the Hershey game on live. Puustinen has a wicked shot and every time I saw him on the PP he was in Ovi's spot letting them rip. He definitely likes to shoot from there. I counted 4 shots from himon 1 PP and while he didn't score they were ALL on net and created chaos in front.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Coach wins Cup, coach has bad record, coach gets fired. Oh, I'm talking about Berube in STL, not Sullivan.

Blues have same number of points as the Penguins with 1 more game played, and they are only 1 point out of the last WC spot in the West. Penguins are 4 points out of WC2 spot in the East, however, Washington has 2 games in hand.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:58 am Coach wins Cup, coach has bad record, coach gets fired. Oh, I'm talking about Berube in STL, not Sullivan.

Blues have same number of points as the Penguins with 1 more game played, and they are only 1 point out of the last WC spot in the West. Penguins are 4 points out of WC2 spot in the East, however, Washington has 2 games in hand.
Berube is certainly the kind of coach this team could use. We know that won't happen though.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

New coach Knoblauch sure has done a good job with the Oilers since taking over. Not sure anyone could do that here with this old team but I would like to give it a shot.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

KG wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:55 am
FLPensFan wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:58 am Coach wins Cup, coach has bad record, coach gets fired. Oh, I'm talking about Berube in STL, not Sullivan.

Berube is certainly the kind of coach this team could use. We know that won't happen though.
Sid, Geno, Letang, and Karllsson would probably rebel if that happened.