Other NHL games 2014-2015 season

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Other NHL games 2014-2015 season

Post by dodint »

HD TV really wrecked the idea of going to games. For the cost of a pair up upper bowl tickets I get NHL Center Ice in HD.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

another shot of the Panthers game. This appears to be right at the start of the first (20:00, period 1 on the scoreboard)

mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Announced attendance was just over 7K...Panthers stopped with a lot of the goofball giveaways they normally do and changing their focus a little on that front...it's darkest before the dawn, hopefully for their fans, it's not too dark...
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

We're probably splitting hairs here, but I heard it was closer to 8k than 7k. In either case, that's not good.

I thought I read on twitter that they count season ticket holders are paid attendance regardless if they show or not.
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by the riddler »

They'll be in Quebec next year.
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by the riddler »

@FlaPanthers

Loyalty is best earned on the back of virtue, honor and integrity. Together, we climb. Thanks to all who came. #FlaPanthers
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

More like 700.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

the riddler wrote:They'll be in Quebec next year.
No. But it would probably be a good idea for the new owners to wait out the expansion in the West and then move the Panthers to Ontario, once the dust has settled.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

JS© wrote:We're probably splitting hairs here, but I heard it was closer to 8k than 7k. In either case, that's not good.

I thought I read on twitter that they count season ticket holders are paid attendance regardless if they show or not.
7,311 according to Panthers beat writer. But yeah, it could be a couple thousand more and still not be good...
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

JS© wrote: I thought I read on twitter that they count season ticket holders are paid attendance regardless if they show or not.
Isn't that how they keep the Pens sell-out streak alive?
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Tickets sold, not fannies in the seats.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

Previous low attendance was 10,063. Beating that by 2,700 is depressing.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I've been to a Penguins game with under 8,000.
The times, they have a changed.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

columbia wrote:I've been to a Penguins game with under 8,000.
I'm guessing back in the day? Even in 03-04 I don't remember a game with attendance that low.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Yeah, pre-Lemieux.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

My goodness, looks to be another long season for Sabres' fans. Outshot 44-12 last night :shock:
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Dickie Dunn wrote:
columbia wrote:I've been to a Penguins game with under 8,000.
I'm guessing back in the day? Even in 03-04 I don't remember a game with attendance that low.
There were some games in 03-04 that were under 10k at least people in seats wise. The attendance might had said 10k+, but there were not 10k in the building by a long shot.
SubtropicalPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by SubtropicalPenguin »

Orlando Penguin wrote:Slightly less than what showed up at Cincinnati-Miami football game on Saturday. I guess if it's not the Heat, it doesn't matter to our friends in South Florida.

As a season ticket holder for the Canes, I can tell you there are way more people that attend the Canes games than the Panthers games (though that isn't saying much). UM attendance is not very good these days, but the Cincy game was way worse than normal for a number of reasons. Firstly, noon games in that statium should be illegal. There is no shade, no breeze, and at 95 degrees with 98 percent humidity, it is very uncomfortable. Compare that with sitting on the couch at home with an HD TV, a cold beer and an A/C on full blast, I can see why people decide not to drive 45 minutes out of the city to watch the game. Also, the last loss against GT was a punch to the gut for UM fans. There is a feeling that the season is pretty much over at this point, as they already have 2 ACC losses with FSU and @VT still to come. Finally, Sun Life is just a terrible venue for college football and it's nowhere close to the university, making it difficult for the student body to attend.

Unfortunately, south florida fans only really come out and support teams when they are winning. It's a sad state of affairs for south florida sports, but the 45k average day for a Canes game is a far cry from the truly pathetic showing at Panthers games. The only time they really get good crowds for Panthers games these days is when the visiting team has 7,000 fans or so at the game. I've gone to every Pens game here for a while, and Pens fans generally are even with or outnumber Panthers fans. The same is true for the Rangers, Habs, Leafs, Bruins, and maybe a couple others as well.

I fear the Panthers will be gone soon, but I hope they survive.
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by the riddler »

Tampa Bay seems to draw very well. They do have a better team and one of the best players in the game but I remember them still having decent attendance numbers with lesser teams. I don't know the area very well but are sports fans that different in Tampa Bay than Miami?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

I've been to Tampa for a game and had a really good experience. AIUI, Florida plays way out in Sunrise, which is not near anything and generally sucks...when I was down in Florida, I wanted to see the Lightning and the Panthers and we just couldn't figure a way to make it work time-wise...

But the area surrounding the St. Pete Times Forum (I think that's what it was then, maybe not...) was pretty decent, a lot of Lightning fans were out and about and reasonably friendly...
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

shafnutz05 wrote:My goodness, looks to be another long season for Sabres' fans. Outshot 44-12 last night :shock:
But that's the plan!
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

the riddler wrote:Tampa Bay seems to draw very well. They do have a better team and one of the best players in the game but I remember them still having decent attendance numbers with lesser teams. I don't know the area very well but are sports fans that different in Tampa Bay than Miami?
Tampa actually draws really well.

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendance/ ... p?tmi=8385
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Lightning draw when they're winning. They are virtually identical to the Penguins with regards to attendance vs record.

And this may have been because I was out on a weekend, but it seemed like the Tampa people were going to a game on the way to a nightclub based on the way they were dressed and acted. My fiancee lived near there for a couple of years and actually predicted that this would be the case before we went there. One of the most vain cities in the country.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

Orlando Penguin wrote:Slightly less than what showed up at Cincinnati-Miami football game on Saturday. I guess if it's not the Heat, it doesn't matter to our friends in South Florida.
they only care about the Heat when they're good/winning (re: game 6 in the 2013 finals).

Miami is the worst sports city (I mean in terms of the fans) in the US.

hell, even when the Marlins were good no one went to their games.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

SubtropicalPenguin wrote:

As a season ticket holder for the Canes, I can tell you there are way more people that attend the Canes games than the Panthers games (though that isn't saying much). UM attendance is not very good these days, but the Cincy game was way worse than normal for a number of reasons. Firstly, noon games in that statium should be illegal. There is no shade, no breeze, and at 95 degrees with 98 percent humidity, it is very uncomfortable. Compare that with sitting on the couch at home with an HD TV, a cold beer and an A/C on full blast, I can see why people decide not to drive 45 minutes out of the city to watch the game. Also, the last loss against GT was a punch to the gut for UM fans. There is a feeling that the season is pretty much over at this point, as they already have 2 ACC losses with FSU and @VT still to come. Finally, Sun Life is just a terrible venue for college football and it's nowhere close to the university, making it difficult for the student body to attend.

Unfortunately, south florida fans only really come out and support teams when they are winning. It's a sad state of affairs for south florida sports, but the 45k average day for a Canes game is a far cry from the truly pathetic showing at Panthers games. The only time they really get good crowds for Panthers games these days is when the visiting team has 7,000 fans or so at the game. I've gone to every Pens game here for a while, and Pens fans generally are even with or outnumber Panthers fans. The same is true for the Rangers, Habs, Leafs, Bruins, and maybe a couple others as well.

I fear the Panthers will be gone soon, but I hope they survive.
When I was at UM, they were still in the orange bowl. You had to take a metro line and then a bus to get to the stadium from the school. For a noon game, if you wanted good seats, you had to get going at like 8 or 9 am. You should be able to stumble out of bed and start tailgating if you live on campus. It was a mess