DiPietro to Bridgeport...

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: DiPietro to Bridgeport...

Post by Beveridge »

tfrizz wrote:Apparently DiPietro was pulled after giving up 5 for Bridgeport tonight.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6581 ... l:topheads" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sometimes, you just can't make this stuff up
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

Has there ever been a bigger falling from grace in hockey than this?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

what are we considering dipietro's grace?
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

canaan wrote:what are we considering dipietro's grace?
Fair point.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

I probably wouldn't but at what point does he take stock of himself and his current skill set and hang it up thereby letting the NYI off the hook for that contract?
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Beveridge »

Pavel Bure wrote:I probably wouldn't but at what point does he take stock of himself and his current skill set and hang it up thereby letting the NYI off the hook for that contract?
To be fair, if any of us were him, would we opt out of it knowing that the Islanders are going to buy me out and give me the money within the next 18 months?
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Beveridge wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:I probably wouldn't but at what point does he take stock of himself and his current skill set and hang it up thereby letting the NYI off the hook for that contract?
To be fair, if any of us were him, would we opt out of it knowing that the Islanders are going to buy me out and give me the money within the next 18 months?
They had the chance to do that with the new CBA free of penalty and didn't do it. I don't think they're buying him out.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Beveridge »

Pavel Bure wrote:
Beveridge wrote:
They had the chance to do that with the new CBA free of penalty and didn't do it. I don't think they're buying him out.

Might not have had the money at the time to buy him out or wanted to see if he was useful as a backup until time ran out?

If they don't buy him out one of the next 2 summers, Islanders deserve basement dweller status for the length of that deal.
sniper
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by sniper »

Beveridge wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:
Beveridge wrote:

Might not have had the money at the time to buy him out or wanted to see if he was useful as a backup until time ran out?

If they don't buy him out one of the next 2 summers, Islanders deserve basement dweller status for the length of that deal.
They may not buy him out simply because he gets them to the salary cap floor. If they buy him out they have to pay him and he doesn't help them. If they don't they have to pay him and he at least serves that purpose. Hopefully that's not their reasoning for not buying him out because it says to their fans we have no thought of raising our salary level above the minimum amount required for next 8 or so years.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Beveridge »

sniper wrote:
Beveridge wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:
Beveridge wrote:

They may not buy him out simply because he gets them to the salary cap floor. If they buy him out they have to pay him and he doesn't help them. If they don't they have to pay him and he at least serves that purpose. Hopefully that's not their reasoning for not buying him out because it says to their fans we have no thought of raising our salary level above the minimum amount required for next 8 or so years.
Good call. Forgot about their issues with getting to the salary floor, hence the Thomas trade.

That is why he wasn't bought out this season. And could be what keeps him around through this off-season. I just can't fathom Islanders being that stupid and not buying him out before it's too late. But this is the Islanders so, yeah.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Idoit40fans wrote:Thomas is not getting paid.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... --nhl.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Why would he not if his salary is counting against the cap? I don't recall hearing that the team suspended him.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Yeah I'm pretty sure Thomas is old enough that he gets paid no matter what
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Fire0nice228 »

I dont believe TT isn't getting paid. His salary counts to cap but he's not getting a check. Same thing as if 35+ contract retires.. they still dont get paid to retire? (thats crazy, who gets paid a salary when they retire still..), but the cap count hits to hurt the team. Help the Isles in this case..
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Pitts wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Thomas is not getting paid.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... --nhl.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Why would he not if his salary is counting against the cap? I don't recall hearing that the team suspended him.
because he never reported
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

The Bruins suspended TT for not reporting. The Isles didn't lift the suspension.