Re: The Battle of Gettysburg **Dead Thread**

Post by columbia »

It sure seemed that way.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

newarenanow wrote:It wasn't a fail, it was on purpose.
Oh? I didn't know that.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Benny Fitz wrote:and i get it that people have lives and things come up, but it's not like there is a LGP warz military draft and people get selected to play against their will. you signed up to play. so play.
I agree, you sign up, so play. I was just saying, you don't have to be on 24/7.

But where I disagree with you though is the quiet thing. There are different strategies to the game. Quiet is one of them. But where I am with you though is, when it is time to vote, vote. Pay attention to the game so when you do have to put input in if you make it to the end, you can have a clue. And if you do make it to the end, then participate and VOTE.

I'm with Troy. In the beginning, for the first 3 or 4 days, unless a red is shown, I don't have much to go on. I put my votes in who I think would either a) look suspicious with the very little game play we have or b) vote for someone that if they were blue, it's not a big loss as they wouldn't participate anyway in the end most likely.

I'm not going to post a ton unless something sticks out to me.

I don't mind the quiet strategy, as long as it doesn't hold up the game and you are paying attention.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

Benny Fitz wrote:and i get it that people have lives and things come up, but it's not like there is a LGP warz military draft and people get selected to play against their will. you signed up to play. so play.
What if they don't sign up? A game gets canceled.

Mods just need to pare down their numbers for a while to cut out the floaters.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

VIP Wars?
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

redwill wrote:
What if they don't sign up? A game gets canceled.

No one is forcing them to sign up. If they don't sign up, and there are only 14 or so that did, then the mods can modify their game for that many people, or we can just play a few short quick games.

If someone signs up, unless something happens that is out of their control, I expect them to play.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

Kraftster wrote:VIP Wars?
Haha. redwill's experiment #3: by invitation only.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

newarenanow wrote:
I agree, you sign up, so play. I was just saying, you don't have to be on 24/7.

But where I disagree with you though is the quiet thing. There are different strategies to the game. Quiet is one of them. But where I am with you though is, when it is time to vote, vote. Pay attention to the game so when you do have to put input in if you make it to the end, you can have a clue. And if you do make it to the end, then participate and VOTE.

I'm with Troy. In the beginning, for the first 3 or 4 days, unless a red is shown, I don't have much to go on. I put my votes in who I think would either a) look suspicious with the very little game play we have or b) vote for someone that if they were blue, it's not a big loss as they wouldn't participate anyway in the end most likely.

I'm not going to post a ton unless something sticks out to me.

I don't mind the quiet strategy, as long as it doesn't hold up the game and you are paying attention.
I go back and forth on this. In one sense, you have to be able to adapt your playing style depending upon the situations in the game. Talking just to talk when its going to do more harm than good doesn't really make sense. The goal of the game is to win and there are different ways of achieving that. Does something like this really make sense:

You're involved in some shooting spree. You want to survive, that should be your goal. Person A is able to survive because you fell to the ground and played dead. Person B dies when they get up off the ground and try to stop the shooter. Who would I rather be? Person A.

At the same time, if the shooter is going around and checking everyone for a pulse, you need to have some Person B in you to be able to bring down the shooter and save yourself. If you play like Person A in a few games I don't mind if you also have some Person B style games. Only being able to do one or the other every time will limit your chances of success.

That being said, I do understand the frustration with the quiet strategies. If this is supposed to be an approximation of the live game, at least there when you are quiet the rest of the players can still observe you. If you don't talk on here, there's absolutely nothing to go on.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

I think I'm going to work on a Rock n Roll Warz with the caveat I mentioned earlier where 48 hours of silence gets you O.D.'d.

I think that might actually work.
Benny Fitz
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Benny Fitz »

newarenanow wrote: or b) vote for someone that if they were blue, it's not a big loss as they wouldn't participate anyway in the end most likely.
I'm a big fan of this. and i usually back you up on this vote. i think the message we send with this is "you dont like we're voting for you? then step it up."

As for the quiet thing, I guess we just agree to disagree. That's not to say that i think you should always be talking. There are definitely times I find it best to keep my mouth shut and not respond to ever single accusation thrown my way. But all and all I think if you're blue, it's your job to talk and help the greens figure this thing out. And if you're red, you should be playing like you're blue.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

ExPatriatePen wrote:I think I'm going to work on a Rock n Roll Warz with the caveat I mentioned earlier where 48 hours of silence gets you O.D.'d.

I'd even go with 24 hours.
Benny Fitz
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Benny Fitz »

redwill wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:I think I'm going to work on a Rock n Roll Warz with the caveat I mentioned earlier where 48 hours of silence gets you O.D.'d.

I'd even go with 24 hours.
48 if absolutely no board activity. 24 if we find that you've posted else where just not in the game thread....i'm down.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

newarenanow wrote:
redwill wrote:What if they don't sign up? A game gets canceled.

No one is forcing them to sign up. If they don't sign up, and there are only 14 or so that did, then the mods can modify their game for that many people, or we can just play a few short quick games.
Yeah, that's my point. Keep the numbers down and the participation up.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Benny Fitz wrote:
newarenanow wrote: or b) vote for someone that if they were blue, it's not a big loss as they wouldn't participate anyway in the end most likely.
I'm a big fan of this. and i usually back you up on this vote. i think the message we send with this is "you dont like we're voting for you? then step it up."

As for the quiet thing, I guess we just agree to disagree. That's not to say that i think you should always be talking. There are definitely times I find it best to keep my mouth shut and not respond to ever single accusation thrown my way. But all and all I think if you're blue, it's your job to talk and help the greens figure this thing out. And if you're red, you should be playing like you're blue.
Yeah, I just laugh. I threw out that Rylan (and I'm not trying to pick on him) would be a good vote at the beginning because he will post for a day and then disappear. He came back and said that he doesn't understand why I say that. And then he disappears for a week.

Now, he may be bad and is doing it on purpose and skating by, but if he isn't, this is the reason why.

As for being quiet, personally, I agree with that, but I can also understand the quiet factor for some. IMO, if you are talking, it makes others slip up sometimes. If you are blue, the point is not to live until the end, but for the village to win.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Anonymous Warz:

Get admin to create a select number of placeholder user accounts and each player would get a random name assignment.

The confusion and lack of hunches based on personality would be pretty great.

I'd also like have an off board Warz setup, so that the mod could control which posters are actually able to see others. As the game progresses, their circle of knowledge would increase....it wouldn't be too hard to write, but I'm too unfocused to probably ever do it.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

columbia wrote:Anonymous Warz:

Get admin to create a select number of placeholder user accounts and each player would get a random name assignment.

The confusion and lack of hunches based on personality would be pretty great.
Someone (maybe Pavel Bure?) had this idea almost two years ago. GREAT idea.

It ain't gonna happen. And I don't blame Admin. Logistical nightmare when security is so important. But it would be cool.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Yeah...no chance of that happening but would be cool.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

columbia wrote:Yeah...no chance of that happening but would be cool.
But we could write a board that does this. Hmmmmm.... :wink:
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Indeed.... Or even just put a light bboard up on a server and handle it there.

I just don't have a public webspace right now or I would.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

Ah, you kids with yer techno pop and yer Lady Gaga and yer internets ...
Benny Fitz
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Benny Fitz »

good talk today dead thread.....see you out there.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

Popcorn
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Yawn... Is there still a battle going on over in the meadow? The smoke seems to have cleared days ago and I heard reports that union and rebel soldiers were playing hopscotch together in the streets of Gettysburg. ;)
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by pittsports87 »

Just when I was gonna try and participate, they shoot me. FUUUUU
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by ExPatriatePen »

pittsports87 wrote:Just when I was gonna try and participate, they shoot me. FUUUUU
Hell, I tried to off you on day one, but you guys got me first. Or should I say that I got myself first.