Jagr Watch 2017

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Penguins want Jagr back?!

Post by HomerPenguin »

Doogs wrote:If they are going to continue to bring in aging wingers in the mold of Roberts, Recchi, Guerin, Kovy, etc...why wouldn't Jags be considered and welcomed?
Kovalev was a mistake that was only mitigated by the fact that it didn't cost them anything to get him. Recchi had to be dumped either because he wasn't performing (although damned if he isn't still chugging along) or because there was something going on with him in the room. Roberts wasn't brought in to fill a scoring line mold and obviously brought a lot more to the table than scoring. Guerin contributed some offensively and by all accounts was a great guy to have in the room. Jagr has never been a great guy to have in the room, which is fine when he's scoring 40 a year but may not be fine given whatever he'd have left in the tank at this point. And, as everybody else has said, he won't, no matter what he claims, come cheap. Those gambling debts don't pay themselves.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by CERV96 »

columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Is that Tomas? :pop:
jprolley
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by jprolley »

columbia wrote:Is that Tomas? :pop:
Tomas Sandstrom...what a shot. Do it, RS.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by CERV96 »

jprolley wrote:
columbia wrote:Is that Tomas? :pop:
Tomas Sandstrom...what a shot. Do it, RS.

I was thinking Surovy
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

Everytime we hear about Jagr, it seems so plausible he'd come back and retire a Pen... it tugs at the heartstrings of everyone who ever rooted for him as a Penguin. The only hurdle it seems is his willingness to play for < $3m. If he thinks the Pens can win the cup, he'd do it... that's the dice rolling around in his head.

For the current Penguins, it makes sense for a couple reasons:
1. They lack a goal-scoring RW.
2. They've had success bringing in older vets to mentor younger players. Kovalev is the only flop, and it was high reward / low risk bet.
3. James Neal. He plays on the opposite side, but his game is similiar enough to Jagr's that he could learn from the ol' goal scoring winger.
ILikeTurtles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ILikeTurtles »

oh...this thread again.
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Doogs »

It is unfortunate that Kovy's return is seen as a flop. He never got to play with Sid or Geno. His style is no longer an individual game changer as he was, but a dynamic talent that needs to play with another dynamic individual (perhaps the expectation were a bit high). People forget the shootout aspect he brings. No I would not give him more than a million, but would bring him back for less.

That said, Jagr has continued to be a force in the International Events as well as the KHL. I for one would bring him back, even on a nostalgia tour.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Jagr, 39, has not committed to playing hockey next season. He has not ruled out that possibility.

No matter what becomes of his short-term future, the Penguins are hoping for a homecoming of sorts because of his significant impact on the organization.

He is second to Lemieux in every major offensive category. With five NHL scoring titles and an MVP award, he is a logical candidate to join Lemieux as the only Penguins player to have his number retired for outstanding on-ice accomplishment.

Before / after Mario's statue, Jaromir needs his 68 retired!
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by DayWalker »

I really have no idea how much Jagr has left in the tank or how much money he would likely demand, but any team entertaining the notion of Nick Johnson (who?), James "3 goals in his last 37 NHL games" Neal, Chris "6 goals in 43 playoff games with the Penguins" Kunitz, and perhaps RFA Tyler Kennedy on its top two lines should probably give some consideration to anybody that might be able to score a goal or two at the NHL level. If it can be determined that Jagr can still do that, the team should absolute investigate his availability.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I'm pretty sure he would be more effective than Sykora, in his last year in PGH.
What did he make, $2M?
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by littlemoonboot »

If Mario wanted it enough, he could probably make it happen. But it all comes down to money. I'd love it but at the same time understand the reality of the situation. You can't go back, but I welcome him at any Pens event even if he never retires a Pen. I would love for the hatchet to be buried with the organization and see him welcomed and honored in some way. The past is past, most fans still love him in the end...just hated him playing for anyone else but the Pens! ;)
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Big Easy Pens Fan »

littlemoonboot wrote:
The past is past, most fans still love him in the end...just hated him playing for anyone else but the Pens!

Boy littlemoonboot, you absolutely hit the nail on the head. Jagr was one of those rare players who you thought would be a Pen for life (that's where the "rare" part comes in). It just wasn't right him being in that ugly Caps uni. Sorta like if Gretzky were to be traded to the LA Kings. Oh wait...

Funny thing about the Gretzky trade. I just happened to be on vacation in the Canadien Rockies the day that took place. There was nothing else but "the trade" talk on the radio that day. I say nothing else. Well, there was disbelief.

BEPF
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

FallenHero96 wrote:I think this is just for the golf thing, this article does not mention anything about him playing for us again, or the penguins wanting him to play hockey. That's not to say that I wouldn't sign him if he wanted, though.
Wait...did I read a different article from you?
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

If this thread reaches 68 pages before Jagr has signed for another team - will Shero sign him up?
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pens2005 »

Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:littlemoonboot wrote:
The past is past, most fans still love him in the end...just hated him playing for anyone else but the Pens!

Boy littlemoonboot, you absolutely hit the nail on the head. Jagr was one of those rare players who you thought would be a Pen for life (that's where the "rare" part comes in). It just wasn't right him being in that ugly Caps uni. Sorta like if Gretzky were to be traded to the LA Kings. Oh wait...

Funny thing about the Gretzky trade. I just happened to be on vacation in the Canadien Rockies the day that took place. There was nothing else but "the trade" talk on the radio that day. I say nothing else. Well, there was disbelief.

BEPF
I gotta ask...what does BEPF stand for?
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mongoose87 »

pens2005 wrote:

BEPF
Be Extremely Pro-Finance.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Physical_Graffiti »

pens2005 wrote:

BEPF
:slug: :pop:
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pens2005 »

Mongoose87 wrote: Be Extremely Pro-Finance.
I thought it stood for Brian Engblom Promotes Fishing
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by CERV96 »

Ok so who starts the Jagr skates thread?

:pop:
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by IanMoran »

I honestly don't see what the news is.

He stated he LOVED his time in Pittsburgh, looking back at it it was the best time of his life, how much he admires / respects mario, etc. All stuff we have heard him say before.

All of those good feeling still doesn't mean he'll take 3 million less to play here lol.
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Doogs »

IanMoran wrote:I honestly don't see what the news is.

He stated he LOVED his time in Pittsburgh, looking back at it it was the best time of his life, how much he admires / respects mario, etc. All stuff we have heard him say before.

All of those good feeling still doesn't mean he'll take 3 million less to play here lol.
The story was leading.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by littlemoonboot »

pens2005 wrote: I gotta ask...what does BEPF stand for?
Been there Every time there's Pain For Crosby

Spoiler:
Kidding :D
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by littlemoonboot »

Beginning Education for Poodles to Fly

[youtube][/youtube][/size]
columbia
NHL Second Liner