Closing the book on 06-07....

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Closing the book on 06-07....

Post by Rocco »

Rocco wrote:
edog wrote:
Rocco wrote:

During the regular season, however, Malkin led the team with 6 game winning goals...meaning he played well when in the clutch, and scored goals that mattered.

how many of those were at the beginning of the year versus towards the end? I'll bet you the numbers will be surprising & telling....
He had 3 in 2006, and 3 in 2007. Is that what you were expecting?
So, he's a pure goal scorer & he only manages 6 game winners....that's living up to expectations....
Wow, way to ignore your point going up in smoke right in front of your face. You're quite good at changing the subject. I guess the sound of a grinding ax makes it difficult for you to concentrate.

Adding on to my own post, here's the league leaders in GWG:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/statistic ... =2&pos=all

I'm not terribly sure you can take anything from this stat, but Malkin had more game winners than Jagr, Cheechoo and Joe Thornton among others. It may be meaningful- I don't know enough to answer either way. My feeling is that it's not, and it's just one of those stats that's measured but meaningless.
veach55

Post by veach55 »

Rocco wrote:
Rocco wrote:
edog wrote:
Rocco wrote:

During the regular season, however, Malkin led the team with 6 game winning goals...meaning he played well when in the clutch, and scored goals that mattered.

how many of those were at the beginning of the year versus towards the end? I'll bet you the numbers will be surprising & telling....
So, he's a pure goal scorer & he only manages 6 game winners....that's living up to expectations....
Wow, way to ignore your point going up in smoke right in front of your face. You're quite good at changing the subject. I guess the sound of a grinding ax makes it difficult for you to concentrate.

Adding on to my own post, here's the league leaders in GWG:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/statistic ... =2&pos=all

I'm not terribly sure you can take anything from this stat, but Malkin had more game winners than Jagr, Cheechoo and Joe Thornton among others. It may be meaningful- I don't know enough to answer either way. My feeling is that it's not, and it's just one of those stats that's measured but meaningless.
DOn't waste your time reasoning. Just laugh.
gigz51
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by gigz51 »

Ok, I'm reading a lot of ridiculous responses that are beyond absurd (namely the ones shouting "TROLL!!!!" as opposed to discussing why). I enjoyed reading the grades.

Malkin got a D. Yes I disagree with this, but I see where that's coming from. Malkin has a whole lot of potential and skill, but his lack of strength at times, hinders his ability. How can one person look like a work horse some shifts and send the opposing team bouncing off of him, then get knocked off his skates by the breeze caused by someone leaving the igloo for a smoke break the rest of the game? How much was he hindered by not speaking English? Again, he knew he'd be on an NHL team before long, why not start learning? You can claim that he is good in clutch situations, but why isn't he just as good in non clutch situations? Those can be just as important. Why does he only seem to step it up when the game is in jeopardy? What would happen if Malkin played when they were up by 2 the same way he played if they're down by 1 in the closing minutes?

Whitney's been far from special. Same old same old. He's not using his size, pinches too often, gets caught out of place a lot. But he doesn't take nearly the abuse on here that, say, Orpik does. Why? Whitney puts up points. So he's judging him based off of a defensive standpoint instead of the points. There's a lot more to hockey than points.
edog

Post by edog »

Rocco wrote:
edog wrote:
Rocco wrote:

tell he when his last GWG was.....or better still, how many GWGs he had in the playoffs....
Last edited by edog on Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

edog wrote:
Rocco wrote:
edog wrote:
Rocco wrote:

tell he when his last GWG was.....or better still, how many GWGs he had in the playoffs....
His last GWG was way back on...um...March 25. For reference, prior to the playoffs, Crosby's last GWG was on January 16. Malkin in 1 season had 2/3 as many GWG as Crosby (9) in 2 seasons.
Last edited by Rocco on Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edog

Post by edog »

veach55 wrote:edog, you are HI-larious! You should call up Daryl Sutter and make that Pfaneuf trade happen. Cheers bud.
Having Phaneuff on the blue line would have solved a lot of problems....like I said, I doubt Calgary makes the deal....
gigz51
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by gigz51 »

Ogie wrote:
Senka wrote:
Ogie wrote:Thorburn did what? three goals? Lost every fight, he had a good forcheck, but to say he was an A- and Malkin was a D is laughable.
And did he not tie up one of the other teams palyers for 5 mins? He was called a grinder for a reason. Even though he sucked, he played fearless. I would gladly give him a B or so ... i thought he was something special... I'd love to see him back sometime.
He didn't play for a reason, he stunk.. Cracks me up people where calling for him to on Crosby's line..
Still waiting to hear how he stunk. Please enlighten. Thanks.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

Rocco wrote:
edog wrote:
Rocco wrote:
edog wrote:
Rocco wrote: He had 3 in 2006, and 3 in 2007. Is that what you were expecting?
His last GWG was way back on...um...March 25.
That was a long time ago.... :roll:

I'm glad the rest of the team all got GWG's in the playoffs...oh wait, only Sidney did.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

edog wrote:
veach55 wrote:edog, you are HI-larious! You should call up Daryl Sutter and make that Pfaneuf trade happen. Cheers bud.
Having Phaneuff on the blue line would have solved a lot of problems....like I said, I doubt Calgary makes the deal....
if you trade malkin who is the second line center?
edog

Post by edog »

Rocco wrote:
edog wrote:
Rocco wrote:
edog wrote:
Rocco wrote: He had 3 in 2006, and 3 in 2007. Is that what you were expecting?
His last GWG was way back on...um...March 25.
now tell me again, how many did he have in the playoffs when it really counted....better still, answer me why he didn't have any goals period....
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

edog wrote: now tell me again, how many did he have in the playoffs when it really counted....better still, answer me why he didn't have any goals period....
He ran out of gas. Good to know that regular season points don't count anymore. Nevermind that the Pens wouldn't have been in a position to hit the wall in the playoffs without Malkin's production.
veach55

Post by veach55 »

gigz51 wrote:How can one person look like a work horse some shifts and send the opposing team bouncing off of him, then get knocked off his skates by the breeze caused by someone leaving the igloo for a smoke break the rest of the game?
I'm just throwing this out there and I hate to sound like Don Cherry, but it's a European hockey thing I think. AO plays like Malkin although to a lesser extent. He works hard when he wants to, but other times just coasts around and doesn't know what's going on. It's a primadonna attitude that a lot of young players who are successful in Europe seem to have. I think that as he matures and learns to play a more North American style of hockey, Geno will be a lot more physical. Of course he isn't living up to his potential, but if you think about it, neither is Crosby. Did you ever consider that? What will they be doing when they're 25?

Also, I know AO and Sid are more skilled than Malkin, and yes AO plays physical, but only when it presents itself. Watch him play away from the puck sometime. Also, he's much more critical to his teams success (or lack thereof) so he has too step up his game more. Sorry about the tangent.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

doublem wrote:
edog wrote:
Easy! Max Talbot!!

- edog
gigz51
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by gigz51 »

Ogie wrote:
gigz51 wrote:
Ogie wrote:
Senka wrote:
Ogie wrote:Thorburn did what? three goals? Lost every fight, he had a good forcheck, but to say he was an A- and Malkin was a D is laughable.
And did he not tie up one of the other teams palyers for 5 mins? He was called a grinder for a reason. Even though he sucked, he played fearless. I would gladly give him a B or so ... i thought he was something special... I'd love to see him back sometime.
He didn't play for a reason, he stunk.. Cracks me up people where calling for him to on Crosby's line..
Still waiting to hear how he stunk. Please enlighten. Thanks.
I am still waiting on how he gets an "A" when he couldn't even crack the lineup.
I gave many reasons in a previous post. Go back and read it, especially the part when I said I gave him an A- in the role he was expected to play. All you have said was he scored 3 goals, which is not his role.
edog

Post by edog »

gigz51 wrote:Ok, I'm reading a lot of ridiculous responses that are beyond absurd (namely the ones shouting "TROLL!!!!" as opposed to discussing why). I enjoyed reading the grades.

Malkin got a D. Yes I disagree with this, but I see where that's coming from. Malkin has a whole lot of potential and skill, but his lack of strength at times, hinders his ability. How can one person look like a work horse some shifts and send the opposing team bouncing off of him, then get knocked off his skates by the breeze caused by someone leaving the igloo for a smoke break the rest of the game? How much was he hindered by not speaking English? Again, he knew he'd be on an NHL team before long, why not start learning? You can claim that he is good in clutch situations, but why isn't he just as good in non clutch situations? Those can be just as important. Why does he only seem to step it up when the game is in jeopardy? What would happen if Malkin played when they were up by 2 the same way he played if they're down by 1 in the closing minutes?

Whitney's been far from special. Same old same old. He's not using his size, pinches too often, gets caught out of place a lot. But he doesn't take nearly the abuse on here that, say, Orpik does. Why? Whitney puts up points. So he's judging him based off of a defensive standpoint instead of the points. There's a lot more to hockey than points.
gig,
people here are more like Crash than they realize. The fixate on stats alone without taking into consideration the whole player. As you mentioned, Malkin had 3 years to start learning English & he didn't...contrast that to Mario who started taking English lessons when he knew he was coming to an American team. Strike two is his inconsistent play all season. Yes, he has talent, but does he have heart & drive? It appears to me that if the Head Coach calls him out a few times in the media & has to have come-to-Jesus meetings with him, it suggests a lack of drive & underachivement.
gigz51
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by gigz51 »

veach55 wrote:
gigz51 wrote:How can one person look like a work horse some shifts and send the opposing team bouncing off of him, then get knocked off his skates by the breeze caused by someone leaving the igloo for a smoke break the rest of the game?
I'm just throwing this out there and I hate to sound like Don Cherry, but it's a European hockey thing I think. AO plays like Malkin although to a lesser extent. He works hard when he wants to, but other times just coasts around and doesn't know what's going on. It's a primadonna attitude that a lot of young players who are successful in Europe seem to have. I think that as he matures and learns to play a more North American style of hockey, Geno will be a lot more physical. Of course he isn't living up to his potential, but if you think about it, neither is Crosby. Did you ever consider that? What will they be doing when they're 25?

Also, I know AO and Sid are more skilled than Malkin, and yes AO plays physical, but only when it presents itself. Watch him play away from the puck sometime. Also, he's much more critical to his teams success (or lack thereof) so he has too step up his game more. Sorry about the tangent.
Precisely what my point was. I didn't give Malkin the D, but I'm willing to bet that point had something to do with it.
edog

Post by edog »

Rocco wrote:
edog wrote: now tell me again, how many did he have in the playoffs when it really counted....better still, answer me why he didn't have any goals period....
He ran out of gas. Good to know that regular season points don't count anymore. Nevermind that the Pens wouldn't have been in a position to hit the wall in the playoffs without Malkin's production.
Yet, Staal & Sid didn't & they are of similar age & playing in their first playoffs also.....
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Rocco wrote:
Rocco, I knowed dere was a reesin we sent y'all to all that coleege man!

I think the term, "you schooled him" works in this instance! Way to go Rocco!
edog

Post by edog »

doublem wrote:
edog wrote:
Staal...you know, the guy who will probably win a few Selke Trophies before his career is done....
edog

Post by edog »

Pitts wrote:
Rocco wrote:
Rocco, I knowed dere was a reesin we sent y'all to all that coleege man!

I think the term, "you schooled him" works in this instance! Way to go Rocco!
don't jump the gun pitts, you may wish to read my response....
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

edog....you are completely clueless. Go back to stillernation.com and talk to King Sid.
gigz51
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by gigz51 »

doublem wrote:if you trade malkin who is the second line center?
Are you serious? Just a guess here, but I'd say Jordan Staal....
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

edog wrote:
Rocco wrote:
Yet, Staal & Sid didn't & they are of similar age & playing in their first playoffs also.....
That's funny, I don't recall them flying from Magnitogorsk to Helinski, ducking out in an airport, hiding in some nameless apartment for a week, flying to LA, hiding there for a month, flying to Pittsburgh, then attending rookie camp, training camp, suffering a dislocated shoulder, then playing nearly 80-some games of NHL hockey all in about 11 months time.