Jagr Watch 2017

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Penguins want Jagr back?!

Post by profpolisci »

pens#1 wrote:does anyone think this story has a few more turns before dinner time?
Nope
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

AlexPKeaton wrote:RS made a huge mistake. Enjoy overpaying for some scrub or going into the season with Dupuis as your best RW.
So we should have gotten into a bidding war for a 39 year old winger who hasn't played in the NHL in 3 years? I think some people have their judgements clouded by what he was, rather than what he is.
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by itissteeltime »

I like everything the Pens/Shero did regarding this situation.
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Member »

Malkamaniac wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:RS made a huge mistake. Enjoy overpaying for some scrub or going into the season with Dupuis as your best RW.
So we should have gotten into a bidding war for a 39 year old winger who hasn't played in the NHL in 3 years? I think some people have their judgements clouded by what he was, rather than what he is.
I think whoever Shero does end up signing, will come here at more than $2-million.
pensrule
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by pensrule »

Assanine, just plain stupid. There is no one available and TK is a 3rd liner. This move by RS is just plain dumb. Leave the offer out there, work on your other stuff and if something comes along that you feel is better, tell Jagr too late...very disappointed in RS!
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by sil »

Malkamaniac wrote:
Bingo.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Lesky has lost it.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by TheHammer24 »

Malkamaniac wrote:
Lol, yeah exactly. I don't know why people thought JJ was our savior. See, e.g., Miro Satan, Mike Comrie, Petr Sykora, Alexei Kovalev.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

I would have expected Shero to give Svoboda a call and said. You got 30 minutes to accept the contract or else we move on. That would have been more fair, and at least that would have given Jagr the chance to accept the offer in the end! Now we will never know whether Jagr intended returning or not. Its possible he could take this as a sign that Shero never wanted him. AndI for one thinks Shero is a very happy man right now.

So for me this was the worst possible way for it all to end.
Last edited by Lesky on Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:52 am, edited 6 times in total.
Myriad
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Myriad »

AlexPKeaton wrote:
Myriad wrote:
jimreb wrote:
Bioshock wrote:Well, he will never return to Pittsburgh in any capacity now. I know for a fact that he will never have his jersey retired in this town.
You really don't think 5 years from now this will all be forgotten? It will be retired
Well he did make a ton of statements about how badly he wanted to play here, talked to 66 about it, but when it came down to it he was chasing the $$
Yeah your full of crap. The only statements he made where that Pittsburgh or Detroit were both good options. I think Detroit is a better option for him anyway, but I wanted him as a Pen because there is nothing but garbage at FA this year.
What about that interview when he said he wanted to play for league minimum for the Penguins because he owed 66 his hockey life etc etc etc, contacts the pens about playing for them, gets a fair offer that is not mimimum (despite previous statements), talks to Lemieux (according to media reports), then tries to start a bidding war for more money.

And shero said hell no.
jeffshly
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by jeffshly »

drnort wrote:It could certainly still happen. I do not believe that the door is officially closed...but that Shero wants things done on his terms, not someone elses.
Shero doesn't strike me as a guy who lets his ego run the team, so I don't think this is just a "my way or the highway" scenario. This isn't Vince McMahon and the WWE here.

Someone else is about to take the $2M offered to Jagr.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

Malkamaniac wrote:
Overpaying for 1 season is far better than the other options. Now RS will HAVE to give up draft pics at the deadline yet again for another marginal winger.
GenoMachino71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by GenoMachino71 »

Malkamaniac wrote:
i think it was a PR move by the Pens

didnt wanna look like they were getting played by Jagr...

so they pulled the plug on it

they must have gotten bad vibes that he wasnt going to sign
Dave's_a_Killer
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Dave's_a_Killer »

pensrule wrote:Assanine, just plain stupid. There is no one available and TK is a 3rd liner. This move by RS is just plain dumb. Leave the offer out there, work on your other stuff and if something comes along that you feel is better, tell Jagr too late...very disappointed in RS!

Why don't we wait to see what Jagr ends up with money wise before we blast Shero.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by sil »

pensrule wrote:Assanine, just plain stupid. There is no one available and TK is a 3rd liner. This move by RS is just plain dumb. Leave the offer out there, work on your other stuff and if something comes along that you feel is better, tell Jagr too late...very disappointed in RS!
I think it's one of the smarter things he's done.
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

Admin needs to edit his OP and add a "don't".
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Pens15 »

Lesky wrote:I would have expected Shero to give Svoboda a call and said. You got 30 minutes to accept the contract or else we move on. That would have been more fair, and at least that would have given Jagr the chance to accept the offer in the end! Now we will never know whether Jagr intended returning or not. Its possible he could take this as a sign that Shero never wanted him.

So for me this was the worst possible way for it all to come down!
What makes you think he didn't?
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by obhave »

Honestly good for the pens and Shero for not getting in a bidding war over a 39 year old. Jagr had plenty of time and if he wanted to come to Pittsburgh so badly he would have agreed to a deal a couple days ago. Shero now can focus on others.

I never booed jagr before. He did great things for this team during his time here. The whole ordeal has really soured by opinion of him. My annoyance will probably die down once the season starts. I still think his number should be retired, but who knows if it will be now.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Grunthy »

well i definitely am not surprised, but i can't tell you with a straight face I am not upset he isn't coming back.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

why is everyone blaming Jagr? who knows what he would have decided. It was obvious from the beginning that Shero did not want him on the team. Even in quotes he seemed skeptical. He pulled his offer before the UFA period even started. To me, that explains a lot. Jagr never even had the chance to say "yes". I will have no hard feelings, since this was Shero taking charge and making a business decision.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

Myriad wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:
Myriad wrote:
jimreb wrote:
Bioshock wrote:Well, he will never return to Pittsburgh in any capacity now. I know for a fact that he will never have his jersey retired in this town.
You really don't think 5 years from now this will all be forgotten? It will be retired
Well he did make a ton of statements about how badly he wanted to play here, talked to 66 about it, but when it came down to it he was chasing the $$
Yeah your full of crap. The only statements he made where that Pittsburgh or Detroit were both good options. I think Detroit is a better option for him anyway, but I wanted him as a Pen because there is nothing but garbage at FA this year.
What about that interview when he said he wanted to play for league minimum for the Penguins because he owed 66 his hockey life etc etc etc, contacts the pens about playing for them, gets a fair offer that is not mimimum (despite previous statements), talks to Lemieux (according to media reports), then tries to start a bidding war for more money.

And shero said hell no.
Yeah that was 3 years ago. Going into this FA he never said he was coming to Pittsburgh.
Dan H
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Dan H »

Lesky wrote:I would have expected Shero to give Svoboda a call and said. You got 30 minutes to accept the contract or else we move on. That would have been more fair, and at least that would have given Jagr the chance to accept the offer in the end! Now we will never know whether Jagr intended returning or not. Its possible he could take this as a sign that Shero never wanted him.

So for me this was the worst possible way for it all to come down!
Maybe he did, and they didn't accept the contract. Or he did, but Svoboda couldn't find Jagr because he had been abducted by turtles in Las Vegas.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by HomerPenguin »

AlexPKeaton wrote:Yeah, WBS at wings and a bottom 10 PP here we come.
LOLOLOLOL, let the rending of the garments begin. :pop:
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Post by darkstar57 »

GenoMachino71 wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:
i think it was a PR move by the Pens

didnt wanna look like they were getting played by Jagr...

so they pulled the plug on it

they must have gotten bad vibes that he wasnt going to sign
While i do this this was a PR move by the Pens, i think its more a shot to jagr and his agent who have both said his heart was in pittsburgh, the fact that shero even said the terms of the deal is def a direct shot.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Post by Godric »

This is going to make me hate Kennedy 10000000x more