Isles-vs-Pens Official Presidents Day Game thread (2/19/07)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Pitts wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
schreibdog wrote:
mikey287 wrote:we got a couple of sucky teams coming up in Florida and Tampa (IIRC) and we can start a new streak
Well, I wouldn't call Tampa a sucky team, but you're right, Florida on Thursday and Tampa on Sunday
I've watched Tampa play a number of times this year...they suck, defensively, the goaltending is streaky at best...they have an awesome top 6, but they rely on it far too much...Tampa will not make the playoffs unless their top 6 stays on fire for the remainder of the season...
So, you're saying they are just like the Pens then?
Pens are better defensively on most nights, their goaltending is at least 50x better, Fleury is a great goalie, and I won't let one game, even a few games change my mind, it's about looking at how he plays...Fleury is better than Holmqvist/Denis being in net at the same time...
The Pens have had a lot of contribution from their 3rd and 4th lines...with some scoring talent starting to leak down there and the return of Ekman perhaps will only add to that...when we have a Colby, Ryan Malone and/or Erik Christensen on the 3rd/4th lines, we add some scoring down there...
The Pens are a better team than Tampa...
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

I am saying we need to get Griese warmed up - just in case.
It would only serve to remind us why Griese is on the bench in the first place...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

CP2 wrote:
pronovost19 wrote:You want to create a merit culture. You play well - you play the next game. Give T-Bo a shot.
Be careful what you ask for...
MAF is the Rex Grossman of the NHL...I am saying we need to get Griese warmed up - just in case.[/quote]

Awful comparison, awful, Rex Grossman blows...Fleury is a fantastic goalie and will be a top 5 goalie in this league for the next 10 years, Grossman won't have a job 2 years from now...
CP2

Post by CP2 »

give me a break...grossman has terrible numbers and barely ever produces...the pens would have a lot less points if it wasnt for fleury...this is probably the dumbest comment ive ever heard. grossman? what an awful analogy....idiot
Mickelson, Grossman - whatever you prefer....It may be an overreaction

The point is MAF has been spotty at best. You can't allow 6 goals on 30 shots and win. HE IS NOT a top 15 golatender right now. The offense is a top 3 offense with a non-playoff worth defense - starting with the goalie. Too many weak goals destroys the confidence of the team.
Last edited by CP2 on Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
schreibdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by schreibdog »

schreibdog wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
schreibdog wrote:
mikey287 wrote:we got a couple of sucky teams coming up in Florida and Tampa (IIRC) and we can start a new streak
Well, I wouldn't call Tampa a sucky team, but you're right, Florida on Thursday and Tampa on Sunday
I've watched Tampa play a number of times this year...they suck, defensively, the goaltending is streaky at best...they have an awesome top 6, but they rely on it far too much...Tampa will not make the playoffs unless their top 6 stays on fire for the remainder of the season...
OK, I'll buy that, but they still give us fits more than any other team. I guess their style of play matches up against us well. I think the last time we beat them was February of '02?
Whoops, last time they won against TB, it was 1/17/03.
http://letsgopens.com/scripts/dbman/box/3022.htm
Goals by Wayne Primeau, Milan Kraft, and Kovalev...wow. And none of the guys that played that day are on the current team...interesting
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

MarioLemieux1992 wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
MarioLemieux1992 wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
schreibdog wrote: Well, I wouldn't call Tampa a sucky team, but you're right, Florida on Thursday and Tampa on Sunday
they are 3rd in the east as of now :P
Add this to the post I just made...there's a number of things wrong with just that one sentence...

-watch hockey
-learn it
-get back to me
you can't be 3rd if you suck, plus they have beaten us everytime this season, but they do suck, there division sucks, i hope they don't make the playoffs but i think they will, as either the division leader, or the 7th or 8th seed
Ugh...wow...I won't argue with you because you wouldn't understand even if I did...I know you've only seen Tampa Bay when they've played Pittsburgh this year, I've seen them plenty more than that, they are not a good team more often than not...and Tampa is technically what, 6th or 7th in the east in points...don't let the division ranking thing fool you...
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

The point is MAF has been spotty at best. You can't allow 6 goals on 30 shots and win. HE IS NOT a top 15 golatender right now. The offense is a top 3 offense with a non-playoff worth defense - starting with the goalie. Too many weak goals destroys the confidence of the team.
They "got over" his December play to go on the streak that just ended. He'll be fine, they'll be fine. He will determine how the season ends, it might be wise to get him some support back there.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

mikey287 wrote:Pens are better defensively on most nights, their goaltending is at least 50x better, Fleury is a great goalie, and I won't let one game, even a few games change my mind, it's about looking at how he plays...Fleury is better than Holmqvist/Denis being in net at the same time...
The Pens have had a lot of contribution from their 3rd and 4th lines...with some scoring talent starting to leak down there and the return of Ekman perhaps will only add to that...when we have a Colby, Ryan Malone and/or Erik Christensen on the 3rd/4th lines, we add some scoring down there...
Not sure I completely agree about Tampa. They did win the Cup not too long ago with the same core. I agree about the Pens side of things, especially MAF. this streak was bound to end. I highly doubt they continue to win at the clip they just did.
ChiTraderRob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ChiTraderRob »

CP2 wrote: MAF is the Rex Grossman of the NHL...I am saying we need to get Griese warmed up - just in case.
I guess a Pens loss after a long streak opens the doors to the idiot store.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

schreibdog wrote:
Whoops, last time they won against TB, it was 1/17/03.
http://letsgopens.com/scripts/dbman/box/3022.htm
Goals by Wayne Primeau, Milan Kraft, and Kovalev...wow. And none of the guys that played that day are on the current team...interesting
Technically true, but Melichar was on the roster, albeit on IR, at that time.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

Jesse wrote:
Ron` wrote:Malone got a hat trick by doing what he should today, drive to the net.

Everyone should back away from the keyboard and understand that there will be games that you will not win in hockey. As far as this one, the team should know why. The Isle kept going all game, never gave up. The Pens have to evaluate themselves in that regaurd. Let it go and let's hope they come back strong next game.
Hey Ron, I was thinking, do you think Malone's struggle to adapt on the top line previous to tonight stems from a differing philosophy between he and his linemates?

He really prefers to slow it down and grind it out, whereas Recchi and Crosby use skating to their advantage.

I think Malone can use his skills in a way that is advantageous towards the skills of Crosby and Recchi, perhaps today he took a step towards that.
Malone needs to use his size to drive to the net. Slowing it down and grinding does not work for him. The least amount of time to think and just react works to his advantage because of his size. Slowing it down makes him tenative.

The only time he should be thinking to slow it down and grind it out is on the PK. Just my opinion. If he could play like he did today 70% of the time, irregaurdless of the goals, he would be resigned and an asset going forward for this team.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Without Fleury we are 14th in the East...anyone who doesn't think Fleury is a good goalie does not understand the game of hockey and/or the position of goaltender in terms of its fundamentals and style, they look at numbers and take advantage of bad situation by spreading their slanderous filth that can only be used after a game like this (our 4th in 6 days, isn't it?) but stays quiet after a Fleury shutout or a game stolen by Fleury...
PensFanBryan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by PensFanBryan »

Fleury hasnt played a good game since the Nashville game. This is now 5 consecutive starts he has given up 4 or more goals. How can you defend the way he has been playing? I agree, I dont want to see T-Bo either, but right at this minute, maybe T-Bo is the better play. Yesterday was the only game so far in February that MAF has sat out. Maybe he needs to sit out and rest some more. Can you really blame the Defense on all of those 5 games? I know you cant blame the Offense.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by André »

Who's the f'ing moron who didn't elect Crosby one of the three stars?

I'm so pissed right now. I had two different bets involving several games and got them all except the pens (had them with the win, including overtime and shootout). 26 secs left...and they were so close a couple of times, and Fleury had one of his worst games of the season...

f f f....
GeoTank
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by GeoTank »

MAF no more days off for you !!!!!
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

Deas wrote:Who's the f'ing moron who didn't elect Crosby one of the three stars?

I'm so pissed right now. I had two different bets involving several games and got them all except the pens (had them with the win, including overtime and shootout). 26 secs left...and they were so close a couple of times, and Fleury had one of his worst games of the season...

f f f....
Lol welcome to sports betting :)
CP2

Post by CP2 »

give me a break...grossman has terrible numbers and barely ever produces...the pens would have a lot less points if it wasnt for fleury...this is probably the dumbest comment ive ever heard. grossman? what an awful analogy....idiot.
Grossman led the league in wins and was 7th in TDs.

MAF doesn't lead the league in wins even though the offense is close to the top. He is not in the top 7 goalies in the league. He is not in the top 25 for SV%.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Pitts wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Pens are better defensively on most nights, their goaltending is at least 50x better, Fleury is a great goalie, and I won't let one game, even a few games change my mind, it's about looking at how he plays...Fleury is better than Holmqvist/Denis being in net at the same time...
Not sure I completely agree about Tampa. They did win the Cup not too long ago with the same core. I agree about the Pens side of things, especially MAF. this streak was bound to end. I highly doubt they continue to win at the clip they just did.
I think you agree with me more than you think...I mention that there top 6 (i.e. their main core) needs to be on fire for them to win...the rest of that team is gone...Modin, Stillman, Andreychuk, Kubina, Cullimore, Afanasenkov, and by the far the most important Nikolai Khabibulin...those guys are from that championship team are gone, their depth has fallen off, their goaltending has fallen off, therefore, they have fallen off, except rising from the ashes when VL-MsL-VP-BR put together an awesome stretch, which they are more than capable of...
PensFanBryan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by PensFanBryan »

CP2 wrote:The point is MAF has been spotty at best. You can't allow 6 goals on 30 shots and win. HE IS NOT a top 15 golatender right now. The offense is a top 3 offense with a non-playoff worth defense - starting with the goalie. Too many weak goals destroys the confidence of the team.
WOW... your a bit off on your analysis. Without Fleury we wouldnt even be in the Playoff Picture. He won his share of games since the All-Star Break. He has been a bit shaky last 5 games, but to go as far to say he isnt a top 15 goalie right now? Thats a bit much. Even if your giving up goals, your still winning games. Thats got to count for something.
Last edited by PensFanBryan on Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

MarioLemieux1992 wrote:]they are 3rd in the east as of now :P
Not until they overtake New Jersey. The division winners are seeded 1-2-3 regardless of points. The Pens have more points than the #3 team (Tampa Bay), but they are seeded #4 cos Jersey (in #2) is in their division.