Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by shmenguin »

shafnutz05 wrote:Instead, the adjective would typically be "weak", "lack of willpower", etc, despite the fact it's a physical and mental addiction much like overeating.
unfortunately, it's all to easy to develop a serious weight problem without even being a compulsive over eater. it's cheap and it's easy to eat things that are terrible for you.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

I don't know many smokers who advocate it, but I know a ton of smokers who flip their lid if someone asks them to smoke outside, tells them they stink of smoke, comments about the unhealthy aspects of smoking, etc.

I think the tanning thing is a relevant comparison. Look at all the models, celebs, etc. that have dark tans. Unless they're spray on, they're promoting dangerous tanning which not only ages the skin (I photographed a 17 year old a couple years ago who had more wrinkles than most 30 year olds) but no one tells the kids "Don't try to look like that beautiful size 2 model with the awesome tan even though if you tan like that for just a year or two your risk of skin cancer multiples by 3x."

I don't think any of the "fatties" saying "accept my body" are saying it's healthy to be morbidly obese. They're saying let me be who I am and don't make your smart ass comments, your crude insults, etc. I'll never forget when I was about 14 years old walking down the street with my mom (who was overweight) and a couple in their twenties passing us by. The guy remarked to his gf, "That's why you shouldn't get fat, you'll waddle when you walk like that cow." Do you think that helped my mom in any way to want to lose weight? Every fat person knows their fat and needs to lose weight. Arseholes like that guy are what make some people say, "Eff you, I'm fat and I don't care what you think."
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

meow wrote:Was this fatty fat or obese? I think there is a big difference between.
random tangent...i know you're gluten free. how are managing to keep your weight up? my wife and i (except for a stray beer here and there) went GF 6 months ago. we're turning into skeletons. we don't eat dairy either, which doesn't help.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Hockeynut! wrote: I think the tanning thing is a relevant comparison. Look at all the models, celebs, etc. that have dark tans. Unless they're spray on, they're promoting dangerous tanning which not only ages the skin (I photographed a 17 year old a couple years ago who had more wrinkles than most 30 year olds) but no one tells the kids "Don't try to look like that beautiful size 2 model with the awesome tan even though if you tan like that for just a year or two your risk of skin cancer multiples by 3x."
the health risks of being obese dwarf the oranged teenager epidemic.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

shafnutz05 wrote:I mean, if you are overweight fine, it happens. I was noticeably overweight four years ago or so (the post-wedding "let it go" phase), and I finally got disgusted with myself and changed it. I don't hate anyone for being overweight, I hate fat women for glorifying it. What a horrible, awful message to send to children. Bullying isn't cool, but neither is "fat acceptance".

Doesn't this apply to lots of things? Although I've no clue where this is coming from, I wouldn't like fat people throwing a being fat lifestyle in my face. But I would definitely look at booze culture as the most flagrant example of people flaunting their lifestyle in your face.

I mean, believe it or not, there are people that don't drink, and the idea of not drinking is really startling to a lot of people out there.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Boozing is probably a relevant comparison Troy, admittedly.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

shmenguin wrote:
Hockeynut! wrote: I think the tanning thing is a relevant comparison. Look at all the models, celebs, etc. that have dark tans. Unless they're spray on, they're promoting dangerous tanning which not only ages the skin (I photographed a 17 year old a couple years ago who had more wrinkles than most 30 year olds) but no one tells the kids "Don't try to look like that beautiful size 2 model with the awesome tan even though if you tan like that for just a year or two your risk of skin cancer multiples by 3x."
the health risks of being obese dwarf the oranged teenager epidemic.

I agree. But the difference is, no one is looking at a fat person and saying, "Wow, that's cool. I want to be fat like her." No one. The women shaf rails about who post on twitter might have tons of supporters of the "You go girl!" variety, but I guarantee you, none of those supports wants to be fat. They might say they love their curves, etc. but if they could be at a healthy weight with the flip of a switch, virtually all of them would flip the switch. No one gets fat to be cool. Everyone who is fat knows it's unhealthy. They want to be able to walk down the street without being called a cow or be able to wear whatever clothing they want without someone snapping a cell phone pic and posting it on fb with a "funny" comment about the fattie.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

I don't use facebook, but I cannot fathom a scenario in which I would be scrolling through, see that image/message, and do anything other than keep scrolling. Who cares?
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

shmenguin wrote:
meow wrote:Was this fatty fat or obese? I think there is a big difference between.
random tangent...i know you're gluten free. how are managing to keep your weight up? my wife and i (except for a stray beer here and there) went GF 6 months ago. we're turning into skeletons. we don't eat dairy either, which doesn't help.
Good question. I don't know. We do eat dairy, but not enough for it to impact our weights. We haven't really changed our workout routines or anything exercise wise. I might be completely wrong, but I always felt that your body wants to be a particular weight and if you eat properly, it will eventually find the correct weight.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Troy Loney wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:I mean, if you are overweight fine, it happens. I was noticeably overweight four years ago or so (the post-wedding "let it go" phase), and I finally got disgusted with myself and changed it. I don't hate anyone for being overweight, I hate fat women for glorifying it. What a horrible, awful message to send to children. Bullying isn't cool, but neither is "fat acceptance".

Doesn't this apply to lots of things? Although I've no clue where this is coming from, I wouldn't like fat people throwing a being fat lifestyle in my face. But I would definitely look at booze culture as the most flagrant example of people flaunting their lifestyle in your face.

I mean, believe it or not, there are people that don't drink, and the idea of not drinking is really startling to a lot of people out there.
Because drinking is cool and being fat is not.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

meow wrote: I might be completely wrong, but I always felt that your body wants to be a particular weight and if you eat properly, it will eventually find the correct weight.
no, this makes sense. and i think it does apply to me. it's probably my fate to be a toothpick. my wife is probably past her natural weight right now, but a lot of that has to do with the fact that she's nursing all day, and my son is a manatee.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

shafnutz05 wrote:Boozing is probably a relevant comparison Troy, admittedly.
i don't think it is, at least not in the sense that TL is describing. I post often in the beer thread. but years aren't going to be taken off of my life because of drinking. i'd wager that's true for almost everyone in that thread. it's not a serious threat to our health. and for people who aren't addicted it's something that you can just turn off.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

shmenguin wrote:
meow wrote: I might be completely wrong, but I always felt that your body wants to be a particular weight and if you eat properly, it will eventually find the correct weight.
no, this makes sense. and i think it does apply to me. it's probably my fate to be a toothpick. my wife is probably past her natural weight right now, but a lot of that has to do with the fact that she's nursing all day, and my son is a manatee.
Yeah, if i eat horribly i just feel tired. I can waver from looking like a skeleton to looking like a well trained runner.based on workout/diet..thats about it. I go through periods of serious strength training and the visible change is virtually nonexistent.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

shmenguin wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:Boozing is probably a relevant comparison Troy, admittedly.
i don't think it is, at least not in the sense that TL is describing. I post often in the beer thread. but years aren't going to be taken off of my life because of drinking. i'd wager that's true for almost everyone in that thread. it's not a serious threat to our health. and for people who aren't addicted it's something that you can just turn off.
And fat people can lose weight. There's also of course the high correlation between fat people and alcohol abuse. At least from what i've come across, there are way more people gloating about their boozing than their being fat.

And I don't think there's anything wrong with craft beer as a sort of hobby. But I would say that promoting drinking isn't a healthy thing.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Troy Loney wrote: And fat people can lose weight.

it's not very common. if a diet or health routine works for someone, and it works permanently, then that person is a rare exception. once your obese, you generally stay that way. that's what makes it very dangerous to make it seem like it's not a bad thing. it's very bad.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

shmenguin wrote:
Troy Loney wrote: And fat people can lose weight.

it's not very common. if a diet or health routine works for someone, and it works permanently, then that person is a rare exception. once your obese, you generally stay that way. that's what makes it very dangerous to make it seem like it's not a bad thing. it's very bad.
I'm still waiting for all the examples of skinny people who decided to become fat because some overweight chick on Tumblr said it was okay. I simply don't believe it happens. Maybe 1 on 1000 girls who are already chubby will see that post shaf mentioned and decide not to try a new diet this week, but like I said before, I truly believe virtually every fat person would choose to be "thin" or "average" given the choice, even if 1000 obese women post on Tumblr say otherwise.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

If there was a concern about it, it would t be about intentionally getting fat, the problem would be eating anything you want with reckless abandon.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

it's not about encouraging people to be fat. it's like cigarettes. everyone knew they were bad for you, but for decades, there was an "eh...big deal" mentality. eventually everyone understood that it was objectively terrible, and now you'd never see a popular facebook post saying "it's ok that i smoke" or a lena dunham saying it's ok either.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

Being fat isn't like cigarettes. You can quit using cigarettes. You can't quit eating.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

shmenguin wrote:it's not about encouraging people to be fat. it's like cigarettes. everyone knew they were bad for you, but for decades, there was an "eh...big deal" mentality. eventually everyone understood that it was objectively terrible, and now you'd never see a popular facebook post saying "it's ok that i smoke" or a lena dunham saying it's ok either.
I don't think many are saying it's okay to be fat either, they're saying "Stop hurling insults at me and telling me how to dress because I'm fat."

Obesity rates are going up, not because people think it's okay to be fat, but because fattening foods are so cheap/readily available and because people need to do less physical work than ever before.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Crankshaft wrote:Being fat isn't like cigarettes. You can quit using cigarettes. You can't quit eating.
i'm not comparing them in that sense. i'm comparing the social stigma. cigarettes are trending in the right direction, largely because they've been appropriately raked over the coals and influential parties aren't going around saying it's ok to smoke. we've beaten it into kids' brains that it's a bad thing.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:
shaf isn't going into people's houses and knocking their food on the ground.
I would pay top dollar for a ticket to this show. :pop:
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Shaf once bought me a pizza. In my book that makes him an enabler...
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I'm pretty sure we've shared beer and cake.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

PensFanInDC wrote:Shaf once bought me a pizza. In my book that makes him an enabler...
haha, touche.