Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

could the NCAA justify an investigation on these grounds: if an organization is willing to look the other way regarding a pedophile, why wouldn't they be willing to look the other way regarding athletes grades, off field discipline, etc. etc?
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

Joe Schad ‏@schadjoe
NCAA expert attorney Michael Buckner read Freeh Report and said it does not show lack of institutional control as defined by NCAA Manual
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

Joe Schad ‏@schadjoe

NCAA expert attorney Michael Buckner read Freeh Report and said it does not show lack of institutional control as defined by NCAA Manual
Not quite sure how you come to that conclusion.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

what would the death penalty prove? i don't understand how people are calling for the death penalty when there are 5 people that were involved in this and all 5 are gone. this isn't like SMU where they were warned, already on probation and kept doing the actions. Do you honestly think that if a child rapist is reported to the next coach, president, athletic director, etc it's just going to be brushed under a rug like this was? get real.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Think any of those rioting/rally students feel an ounce of remorse?
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

steve784 wrote:
Joe Schad ‏@schadjoe

Because the NCAA Manual isn't written for anything close to situations like this. It's written to govern athletics and not actual criminal acts and conspiracies.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

viva la ben wrote:Think any of those rioting/rally students feel an ounce of remorse?
Probably not, but those rioters are idiots.

I'm sure the 30x as many people that showed up at the candlelight vigil for the victims don't have any remorse.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

viva la ben wrote:Think any of those rioting/rally students feel an ounce of remorse?
doubt it. half of them didn't even know what they were rioting for.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

ulf wrote:
Staggy wrote:
pittsoccer33 wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:
steve784 wrote:I love how people are more concerned with the death penalty than actual legal justice against the people who covered this up.
Seeing Penn State's football program get the death penalty would be the height of orgiastic fantasy to a lot of people out there.
I don't know why it's so out of the question. If a sports program at another school was used as a conduit to harm children, and that harm was knowingly and actively covered up, how could you argue against shuddering it other than by saying "the only ones hurt will be the innocent players and their fans."
I like how you include the word "only" in your quoted text when you can scroll up and see that's not what I said at all.

Who would the Death Penalty be punishing right now? Certainly nobody currently at the University.
I don't think many instances of the death penalty would only affect those that were at X University. That's not really the greatest argument. The repeat violations part will probably save them.
I don't disagree, which is why I said in my original post that I'm never an advocate of the Death Penalty. It never really punishes the people that broke the rules.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

steve784 wrote:
Joe Schad ‏@schadjoe

Because these rules are defined and can't be applied to any situation the NCAA desires.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

I think PSU should be punished. This happened over a number of years, and the only reason to cover it up was to protect the university and it's FB program.

Should it get the death penalty? I don't know, I don't think so. But some punishment is required. And this isn't coming from a Pitt fan that would orgasim if it did, because honestly, I could care less about PSU FB.

But I do agree with others, it's kind of sick over at pantherlair where there are people there that only care about the FB aspect of this and hoping PSU FB gets the death penalty and that is all they want. They dont' care about the coverup, the kids involved and everything else. To me, that is disturbing.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

newarenanow wrote:I think PSU should be punished. This happened over a number of years, and the only reason to cover it up was to protect the university and it's FB program.
They are going to get punished. They're going to get sued and pay tons of money to the victims and the Department of Education will likely have a word with them. Why are people so determined to shoe-horn NCAA sanctions into a far more serious situation when there are far better and more applicable penalties? Will somehow people say PSU was given a light slap on the wrist if the NCAA doesn't take away scholarships but instead the DOE fines them a crazy amount of money?
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

Rocco wrote:They are going to get punished. They're going to get sued and pay tons of money to the victims and the Department of Education will likely have a word with them. Why are people so determined to shoe-horn NCAA sanctions into a far more serious situation when there are far better and more applicable penalties? Will somehow people say PSU was given a light slap on the wrist if the NCAA doesn't take away scholarships but instead the DOE fines them a crazy amount of money?
Yep. That's a darn good point.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

Rocco wrote:
newarenanow wrote:I think PSU should be punished. This happened over a number of years, and the only reason to cover it up was to protect the university and it's FB program.
They are going to get punished. They're going to get sued and pay tons of money to the victims and the Department of Education will likely have a word with them. Why are people so determined to shoe-horn NCAA sanctions into a far more serious situation when there are far better and more applicable penalties? Will somehow people say PSU was given a light slap on the wrist if the NCAA doesn't take away scholarships but instead the DOE fines them a crazy amount of money?
I don't believe they'll face NCAA violations, but it's clear what this coverup protected, namely the football program. I don't think you can say it's just that the school pays out a ton of cash but the entity at the core of this heinous coverup (the program) goes untouched.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

I don't think sanctions on the current athletics should be considered for punishment, but there defiantly should be a severe monetary punishment, especially with the university reporting record donations.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

newarenanow wrote:But I do agree with others, it's kind of sick over at pantherlair where there are people there that only care about the FB aspect of this and hoping PSU FB gets the death penalty and that is all they want. They dont' care about the coverup, the kids involved and everything else. To me, that is disturbing.
this whole saga teaches sports fans in general that sometimes we all take sports too serouisly. there are penn state fans acting unreasonable and unwilling to admonish joepa. and there are pitt fans, osu fans, and many other fans gloating. its just a bad situation.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

So if the arguement is "oh, sanctioning the athletic department hurts innocent victims!"

how is fining them a crapload of money any different?
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:So if the arguement is "oh, sanctioning the athletic department hurts innocent victims!"

how is fining them a crapload of money any different?
No different. The only reasonable non-bloodlust response is prosecuting those individuals responsible for this and fining/suing them personally, and maybe forced DOE oversight on HR procedures or something.
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by IanMoran »

Idk how ppl insult the holier than though psu fans. They definitely were, but all fan bases take on different personas

If something like this happened to the penguins... Flyers fans could definitely insult us for always acting like we're better
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
newarenanow wrote:But I do agree with others, it's kind of sick over at pantherlair where there are people there that only care about the FB aspect of this and hoping PSU FB gets the death penalty and that is all they want. They dont' care about the coverup, the kids involved and everything else. To me, that is disturbing.
this whole saga teaches sports fans in general that sometimes we all take sports too serouisly. there are penn state fans acting unreasonable and unwilling to admonish joepa. and there are pitt fans, osu fans, and many other fans gloating. its just a bad situation.
I think it teaches us that there are idiots everywhere, and we don't need to group them as "Pitt idiots" or "OSU idiots." They're just idiots, don't group fans with normal, rational thoughts in with them.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

IanMoran wrote:If something like this happened to the penguins... Flyers fans could definitely insult us for always acting like we're better
Well.........we are. But yeah, I get your point.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
Agree.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

pfim wrote:
Rocco wrote:
I don't believe they'll face NCAA violations, but it's clear what this coverup protected, namely the football program. I don't think you can say it's just that the school pays out a ton of cash but the entity at the core of this heinous coverup (the program) goes untouched.
PSU saw their coach fired and disgraced, their 2011 season tanked, their 2012 recruiting class torpedoed, and will have this stigma around them for 50 years. I don't think they will be untouched by any defintion of the word.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Rocco wrote:
pfim wrote:
Rocco wrote:
PSU saw their coach fired and disgraced, their 2011 season tanked, their 2012 recruiting class torpedoed, and will have this stigma around them for 50 years. I don't think they will be untouched by any defintion of the word.
They have a top 10 class for 2013. :pop:
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

IanMoran wrote:Idk how ppl insult the holier than though psu fans. They definitely were, but all fan bases take on different personas

If something like this happened to the penguins... Flyers fans could definitely insult us for always acting like we're better
Look, I'm sure I share common thoughts, morals etc with people on this board, and I may even like some of you. But I'm a person with my own thoughts and beliefs, I don't share a "Penguin's persona" with anyone. Generalizing based on someone's loyalty to a sports team is beyond absurd.