Isles-vs-Pens Official Presidents Day Game thread (2/19/07)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
CP2

Post by CP2 »

Jesse wrote:
CP2 wrote:
pens20 wrote:
Jesse wrote:If I'm MT, I go right back with Fleury next game.
With two days in between games, I agree.
Maybe. But you have to worry about the team's confidence as well. How disheartening is it to fight back and then lose on a weak goal....
Pretty disheartening, but if Fleury is the man you're relying on, you do what Julienne did in NJ with Broduer Friday/Saturday and go right back with him as a show of confidence.

FWIW, Broduer had a shutout the following game after getting shellacked by us.
MAF doesn't have the experience to internalize and rebound (insert joke here)

The risk is high.

You want to create a merit culture. You play well - you play the next game. Give T-Bo a shot.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

Malone got a hat trick by doing what he should today, drive to the net.

Everyone should back away from the keyboard and understand that there will be games that you will not win in hockey. As far as this one, the team should know why. The Isle kept going all game, never gave up. The Pens have to evaluate themselves in that regaurd. Let it go and let's hope they come back strong next game.
NYPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by NYPensFan »

Maybe the Pens were trying too hard at the end. If Crosby hadn't tried for the winning goal and they just killed the last minute they would have had a point and kept the streak alive. Shooting on net allowed DePietro to get it to an Islander for the winning goal. The game was really so close it was not a decisive loss.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

saleen66 wrote:Fleury was horrendous. December again? He is awful, but we still get enough goals to win. Not today. I blame Therrian for this game. He should have pulled Fleury after the soft goal in the second period, or at the very least the 5th awful goal. Play Thibalut next few games. Fleury needs time off with the goal coach to get his confidence back.
Yes, pull him if he gives up more than 3 goals a game. :roll:

These guys are professionals. You don't see the Islanders pulling their star goalie.

And you say he is awful? He made some absolute awesome saves during this streak and kept the Pens in many, many games. Also stopped everthing in the OTs and shoot outs during that streak.

He had one bad game. Wow.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

NYPensFan wrote:Maybe the Pens were trying too hard at the end. If Crosby hadn't tried for the winning goal and they just killed the last minute they would have had a point and kept the streak alive. Shooting on net allowed DePietro to get it to an Islander for the winning goal. The game was really so close it was not a decisive loss.
You go for the win.
LdubsRoot23
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by LdubsRoot23 »

As per being 5 back from the devils, you do realize we should be glad we are even in striking distance, and with a game in hand and 2 left against them...we still are in a great situation as long as we don't go winless in the next 16
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

MarioLemieux1992 wrote:i no a thing or two about hockey
MarioLemieux1992 wrote:the player obiously weren't tired, they scored 5 goals
I think just in this post you contradict yourself enough...do we need to cite other posts...
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

You want to create a merit culture. You play well - you play the next game. Give T-Bo a shot.[/quote]

Be careful what you ask for...
CP2

Post by CP2 »

Fast B wrote:
CP2 wrote:
71Aj66ax87 wrote:
pcm wrote:Every other game the pens play, the announcers say this is the most excitin game of the season.
That's because we are the NHL version of the Cardiac Kids.
The Pens are the Phi Mickelson of the NHL....
Oh come on, that's not very fair.
Sure it is. Fun to watch, gambler, streaky, but in the end will give you a freaking heart attack.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

newarenanow wrote:
NYPensFan wrote:Maybe the Pens were trying too hard at the end. If Crosby hadn't tried for the winning goal and they just killed the last minute they would have had a point and kept the streak alive. Shooting on net allowed DePietro to get it to an Islander for the winning goal. The game was really so close it was not a decisive loss.
You go for the win.
ALWAYS
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

MarioLemieux1992 wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
schreibdog wrote:
mikey287 wrote:we got a couple of sucky teams coming up in Florida and Tampa (IIRC) and we can start a new streak
Well, I wouldn't call Tampa a sucky team, but you're right, Florida on Thursday and Tampa on Sunday
I've watched Tampa play a number of times this year...they suck, defensively, the goaltending is streaky at best...they have an awesome top 6, but they rely on it far too much...Tampa will not make the playoffs unless their top 6 stays on fire for the remainder of the season...
they are 3rd in the east as of now :P
Add this to the post I just made...there's a number of things wrong with just that one sentence...

-watch hockey
-learn it
-get back to me
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

mikey287 wrote:
schreibdog wrote:
mikey287 wrote:we got a couple of sucky teams coming up in Florida and Tampa (IIRC) and we can start a new streak
Well, I wouldn't call Tampa a sucky team, but you're right, Florida on Thursday and Tampa on Sunday
I've watched Tampa play a number of times this year...they suck, defensively, the goaltending is streaky at best...they have an awesome top 6, but they rely on it far too much...Tampa will not make the playoffs unless their top 6 stays on fire for the remainder of the season...
So, you're saying they are just like the Pens then?
PensFanBryan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by PensFanBryan »

RxBandit66 wrote:Scuds was at fault for the last goal. He pinched in way too far and couldn't get back to cut the angle down. WHY DIDN"T SOMEONE JUST TAKE A &^%%* PENALTY?? SLASH, TRIP WHATEVER to Sillinger, don't let him shoot it, and the Pens get another point. SCUDERI dosen't think on the ice, always in a bad position, never makes the right play. Fleury was OK, not his best game, but he had no chance on some of those goals.

New nickname: Mark "Screen Your Own Goaltender" Eaton
I agree with the Scuderi thing. But I dont with the Eaton thing. Eaton's game is blocking shots. Thats what he does, thats what he is here to do. Anyway, it was a very high screen, above the circles... Fleury should have been able to pick it up. Maybe he couldnt because it was one of those Mike Sillinger lasers... I really dont put this one on the D. There were two defensive misplays. The winning goal by Scuderi not knowing wether he wants to pinch or not. and on Simon's goal where the puck went all the way around the boards, and guess who, couldnt play the puck, leading the Isles onto a 2 on 1. I can blame this game on 2 people. Fleury and Scuderi. They are the only two players that didnt show up today. Offense was great. Defense was OK (other than Scuderi), Goaltending Horrible!
Last edited by PensFanBryan on Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fast B
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Fast B »

CP2 wrote:
Fast B wrote:
CP2 wrote:
71Aj66ax87 wrote:
pcm wrote:Every other game the pens play, the announcers say this is the most excitin game of the season.
That's because we are the NHL version of the Cardiac Kids.
The Pens are the Phi Mickelson of the NHL....
Oh come on, that's not very fair.
Sure it is. Fun to watch, gambler, streaky, but in the end will give you a freaking heart attack.
On the surface, maybe. I still think that we shouldn't really expect a ton of consistency from a bunch of kids, but you're right that these particular kids are inducing a lot of heartburn.
68forever
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by 68forever »

it's a loss we all knew would come but since the pens still have 2 games in hand to other teams and are still in the playoff spot right now it's not time to panic. If they lose the next 2, 3 or 4 then yes. There is still lots of games to play till the end of March and many points left to be gained. As long as they can find their mojo again and play at least 1 good game in the next 2 then things should right themselves. Remember many of us didn't believe back in sept. that they would be this good, have this many points or even be fighting to stay in playoff contention let alone be in it.
CP2

Post by CP2 »

pronovost19 wrote:You want to create a merit culture. You play well - you play the next game. Give T-Bo a shot.
Be careful what you ask for...[/quote]

MAF is the Rex Grossman of the NHL...I am saying we need to get Griese warmed up - just in case.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

Mikey, easy I think he's in his teens and we need those fans to keep this sport going forward. He's not an adult, still learning imo and will come around. Have to cut him some slack.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Jesse »

Ron` wrote:Malone got a hat trick by doing what he should today, drive to the net.

Everyone should back away from the keyboard and understand that there will be games that you will not win in hockey. As far as this one, the team should know why. The Isle kept going all game, never gave up. The Pens have to evaluate themselves in that regaurd. Let it go and let's hope they come back strong next game.
Hey Ron, I was thinking, do you think Malone's struggle to adapt on the top line previous to tonight stems from a differing philosophy between he and his linemates?

He really prefers to slow it down and grind it out, whereas Recchi and Crosby use skating to their advantage.

I think Malone can use his skills in a way that is advantageous towards the skills of Crosby and Recchi, perhaps today he took a step towards that.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by jmh470 »

After looking at the winning goal again, Eaton played it very poorly. All the other Isles were changing so there was no need for Eaton to be that passive on the play. MAF still needed to save that, though.
schreibdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by schreibdog »

mikey287 wrote:
schreibdog wrote:
OK, I'll buy that, but they still give us fits more than any other team. I guess their style of play matches up against us well. I think the last time we beat them was February of '02?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

CP2 wrote:
pronovost19 wrote:You want to create a merit culture. You play well - you play the next game. Give T-Bo a shot.
Be careful what you ask for...
MAF is the Rex Grossman of the NHL...I am saying we need to get Griese warmed up - just in case.[/quote]

give me a break...grossman has terrible numbers and barely ever produces...the pens would have a lot less points if it wasnt for fleury...this is probably the dumbest comment ive ever heard. grossman? what an awful analogy....idiot.