Jagr Watch 2017

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Penguins want Jagr back?!

Post by Lesky »

pens2005 wrote:
dman66 wrote:If Jagr signs with another NHL team, the boo's he got here in the past will pale in comparison. If Jagr wants market value, then he should have let the Pens know that. There was no reason to even bring Mario in if that is the case.
He initially said it wasn't about the money, very clearly in fact. He added that he was interested in Pittsburgh as well. Now the Jagr-apologists are suggesting that he just wants fair market value.
I do not know what Jagr told Svoboda but I do not think Jagr told him money has no bearing on the decision at all. After Svoboda gave that quote he went on the speak about fit, style, ice time etc etc, so I interpreted it more like that these factor was important than that money was NOT A FACTOR at all.

But I agree that these comments from Svoboda does not sit very well now.
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Streaks House »

Fillipponi is literally re-hashing everything Ron Cook has said about Jagr. Poni was in middle school in another state when Jagr left Pittsburgh, so it's not like he really has any legitimate basis to make the claims he is.
danisu21
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by danisu21 »

Boogeyman wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:Jagr signs with turtles... Issued the first of his genuine Turtles equipment:
Nostalgia. Those red striped sega cases were gorgeous.
hang on. busting out my sega genesis. YES i still have mine. :)
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by blurryhaze312 »

Ben Klingston wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... SS:US:1123

Check out the item location.....
That is damn nice. A shame that it's signed, because I would be all over it if not.
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by dman66 »

I doubt Jagr would be as bad in the locker room as before. I just have a hard time believing the guys in there would stand for it. I have bigger concerns about him holding up in an 82 game season and fitting into the system. Also throw in the fact that he disappeared when he was rocked in the Olympics. How many guys will take a run at him? I can see AO trying to line him up.

At 2 or 2.5 mil, those risks are minimal. Anything more is just too much risk for the Pens in my opinion.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Ben Klingston »

blurryhaze312 wrote:

That is damn nice. A shame that it's signed, because I would be all over it if not.
:thumb:

Completely agree. Though, I stole one pretty much just like it off eBay a couple yrs ago, with a minor nacho cheese stain (awesome) and minus the signature.
jogr4909
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by jogr4909 »

Jagr said two years ago he would play for league min to thank
Mario for giving him a start; now this drama?
GenoMachino71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by GenoMachino71 »

Streaks House wrote:Fillipponi is literally re-hashing everything Ron Cook has said about Jagr. Poni was in middle school in another state when Jagr left Pittsburgh, so it's not like he really has any legitimate basis to make the claims he is.
u should be banned for listening to him.... or at least admitting it

I'd rather watch paint dry than listen to that dude

does ANYONE on this board like him?
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

Streaks House wrote:Fillipponi is literally re-hashing everything Ron Cook has said about Jagr. Poni was in middle school in another state when Jagr left Pittsburgh, so it's not like he really has any legitimate basis to make the claims he is.
What do they care? Its like the people here hating Jagr for some alleged acts that took place 11 years ago. Heck, some people take the fact that Jagr screamed at Skoula once in the World Championship as proof that Jagr is the scum of the earth. It never stops.

I am 100% certain there are people that would rather enjoy the avalanche of Jagr hate that would follow if Jagr signed elsewhere than if Jagr signed with the Pens and actually helped the club.

There is just so much irrational hate that its impossible to contain it. Its a phenomenon that is actually very interesting to observe, at the same time as its sad.
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by pittsports87 »

jogr4909 wrote:Jagr said two years ago he would play for league min to thank
Didn't you just post this same thing 20 minutes ago?
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by blurryhaze312 »

Ben Klingston wrote:
blurryhaze312 wrote:

Completely agree. Though, I stole one pretty much just like it off eBay a couple yrs ago, with a minor nacho cheese stain (awesome) and minus the signature.
Well if I recall correctly, you might have outbid me. I recall the nacho cheese stain. :lol:

If you ever want to sell it, you know where to go. :wink:
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

Jagr needs to consider something. If he comes back and retires here, he will be a celebrated hero again and I believe his 68 jersey will be hung. If not, I'm not sure it will. As much as I admire his earlier days with us and how much I support him, if he just turns into a typical FA and goes to Detroit for an extra half a million or even a million, then I'm not sure I would fight to have his jersey retired here. He should have enough money to last him a lifetime. I would be more concerned about history at this point.

I'm torn between Lesky's and pens2005's stances.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Ben Klingston »

Lesky wrote:Heck, some people take the fact that Jagr screamed at Skoula once in the World Championship as proof that Jagr is the scum of the earth.
Whoa whoa whoa. Jags screamed at THE marty skoula? Well, I need to reconsider.....
:roll: :P

Kippy Miller spoiled him all those years.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by SoupOrSam »

pens2005 wrote:
DelPen wrote:I find it funny that people think Jagr and Shero don't know already what he is doing. Jagr would not come to the US unless he was going to be at a press conference tomorrow. No one would take that time to fly here on a chance he will get signed and then go to that city. Shero knows right know and has known since Tuesday what Jagr is doing.
Jagr is going to sign somewhere tomorrow, that is for sure. No one is denying that. But this whole think has stunk from the beginning. Otherwise, when his agent wouldn't keep saying, "but wait, he may not decide today, but probably tomorrow....oh wait, probably not today but definitely tomorrow"

If you don't laugh at how they are handling this then I'm not sure what you've been paying attention to.
It's good publicity for his agent and himself though, there's no doubt about that. We'll sign him tomorrow. I bet the twins.
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ossa »

It's Petr Svoboda's bedtime and Jagr still isn't signed. Guess I'll have to come back to this thread in the morning.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Ben Klingston »

blurryhaze312 wrote:
Ben Klingston wrote:
blurryhaze312 wrote:

Well if I recall correctly, you might have outbid me. I recall the nacho cheese stain. :lol:

If you ever want to sell it, you know where to go. :wink:
Did I? I know I definitely consulted you on my serious jersey purchases. I have an even better Ulfie that I'm half scared to wear because it's in such good shape. I bought them both while searching for my holy grail, a Lemieux of-the-era, but those don't pop up very often. If I had a chance to buy a Lemieux, I'd probably have to sell the Jags and Ulfie to fund it, lol.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

I really do not believe in hating people for mistakes made in the past, especially if you have no first hand experience and only go by hearsay and rumours.

I mean its not like Jagr killed someone, he just was not in balance and suddenly felt he needed out.

I have seen nothing to suggest he would be a major distraction in the last 6-7 years.

But I do understand people WANTS Jagr to value what he had with the Pens and therefore sign for less money. I want that too happen too.

At the same time I think people are taking it to far by suggesting Jagr must a complete dick and immature etc etc etc.

I think pens2005 is making some valid points, but he could be a lot less agressive and still make the same points.
Last edited by Lesky on Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Ben Klingston »

blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by blurryhaze312 »

Then maybe that's where I remember the cheese stain then, you've told me and/or showed me pics, because I remember you telling me about the Ulf jersey now. :thumb:
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Streaks House »

Lesky wrote:
What do they care? Its like the people here hating Jagr for some alleged acts that took place 11 years ago. Heck, some people take the fact that Jagr screamed at Skoula once in the World Championship as proof that Jagr is the scum of the earth. It never stops.

I am 100% certain there are people that would rather enjoy the avalanche of Jagr hate that would follow if Jagr signed elsewhere than if Jagr signed with the Pens and actually helped the club.

There is just so much irrational hate that its impossible to contain it. Its a phenomenon that is actually very interesting to observe, at the same time as its sad.
Exactly. Jagr wouldn't be the first nor will he be the last pro athlete who matured from a character/personality perspective. Alexei Cherepanov dying next to him on the bench changed JJ a lot. I feel like this made him really grasp the team/locker room concept as a veteran player.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Pens15 »

Seeing as how no party can be bound until noon tomorrow, even if an agreement has been reached there's really no benefit whatsoever to any party in releasing any info before noon tomorrow. I'm guessing that this is already settled and we'll find out the answer around noon tomorrow.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Post by Bob McKenzie »

jogr4909 wrote:Jagr said two years ago he would play for league min to thank
Meh, a lot can happen in 2 years. The economy is bad man...

I'd put more stock in this if he said it 2 days or 2 weeks ago.

:slug:
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Pens15 »

Yeah why even bring up that league minimum comment. It was obviously just some loose talk and I can't figure why anybody would presume to hold Jagr to it.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

#YAWN
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

People that keep quoting him as saying it is not about the money need to consider that he said that in the context of playing for a winning team, i.e. he is not going to Edmonton for 6mil/year. He clearly has said all along that Detroit is a good option because of their system and their perennial winning. He never said he is coming back to the NHL to retire as a Pen or mend fences, this is about winning a cup.