GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by ffemtreed »

count2infinity wrote:

I'm not sure why they're trying to sell this slanted at homebrewers, but this would be really cool if it did turn into the keurig of the beer world. Go to the brewery or store, buy a bag of your favorite beer, bring it home and put it in this thing. I don't think this would appeal to someone that's homebrewing and wants to turn to this instead of kegging. The volume just isn't close enough to what it should be for it to replace a kegging system.

Filling it with fresh beer from a brewery is nice, but they are touting this for homebrewers fermenting and carbonating in the bag. There is a big problem with that, how are you going to get rid of the trub and other stuff that falls out of the beer as it clears up. Dispensing from that bag would make for some really cloudy beer.

Still have to deal with shipping and distribution laws, so its not going to make any beer around world available if you have this thing. This thing doesn't make it any easier to circumvent the existing distribution channels.

A better option would be an adapter for the top of a growler that has a way to recharge the CO2 a from one of those little canisters and dispel the O2 to keep the beer fresh in a growler.

Another big flaw with there system is carbonation level in a beer is HIGHLY dependent on temp. You would have to keep these bags chilled or all the Co2 will leave the solution and just blow up the bag. When you pour from the bag you will be getting flat beer because the CO2 isn't dissolved in the beer.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

ffemtreed wrote: Filling it with fresh beer from a brewery is nice, but they are touting this for homebrewers fermenting and carbonating in the bag. There is a big problem with that, how are you going to get rid of the trub and other stuff that falls out of the beer as it clears up. Dispensing from that bag would make for some really cloudy beer.

These systems are going to cost a few hundred dollars. I would imagine if a homebrewer would buy this system, they're likely going to fill it from their existing keg systems to then take it where they want to take it. I highly doubt a homebrewer would actually carb/condition their beer in one of these things, but you're absolutely right, the trub would have to be dealt with, but that can be done by racking the beer to a secondary and cold crashing it before putting it into the bags.

Still have to deal with shipping and distribution laws, so its not going to make any beer around world available if you have this thing. This thing doesn't make it any easier to circumvent the existing distribution channels.

Agreed, but I think it would give a unique opportunity for very small microbreweries that do not have the capital for a bottling process to just sell bags and fill them with beer, similar to growler sales. I'm not sure if it'd be much different or any sort of paperwork that would need to be done to be able to do this if it's so similar to growler fills.

A better option would be an adapter for the top of a growler that has a way to recharge the CO2 a from one of those little canisters and dispel the O2 to keep the beer fresh in a growler.

I've thought about this before as well. Turns out it's been done. http://www.brooklyn-homebrew.com/growle ... em/dp/3662" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another big flaw with there system is carbonation level in a beer is HIGHLY dependent on temp. You would have to keep these bags chilled or all the Co2 will leave the solution and just blow up the bag. When you pour from the bag you will be getting flat beer because the CO2 isn't dissolved in the beer.

The bags are designed to take pressure. I'm sure you'd be able to put 9-15 psi of CO2 into the bag if you can put a car on it and it doesn't pop. That's plenty of CO2 for almost any style of beer you could want, especially if you keep the temperature below 45 degrees.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ffemtreed »

count2infinity wrote:
ffemtreed wrote: Filling it with fresh beer from a brewery is nice, but they are touting this for homebrewers fermenting and carbonating in the bag. There is a big problem with that, how are you going to get rid of the trub and other stuff that falls out of the beer as it clears up. Dispensing from that bag would make for some really cloudy beer.

These systems are going to cost a few hundred dollars. I would imagine if a homebrewer would buy this system, they're likely going to fill it from their existing keg systems to then take it where they want to take it. I highly doubt a homebrewer would actually carb/condition their beer in one of these things, but you're absolutely right, the trub would have to be dealt with, but that can be done by racking the beer to a secondary and cold crashing it before putting it into the bags.

Agreed, but I think it would give a unique opportunity for very small microbreweries that do not have the capital for a bottling process to just sell bags and fill them with beer, similar to growler sales. I'm not sure if it'd be much different or any sort of paperwork that would need to be done to be able to do this if it's so similar to growler fills.

I've thought about this before as well. Turns out it's been done. http://www.brooklyn-homebrew.com/growle ... em/dp/3662" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The bags are designed to take pressure. I'm sure you'd be able to put 9-15 psi of CO2 into the bag if you can put a car on it and it doesn't pop. That's plenty of CO2 for almost any style of beer you could want, especially if you keep the temperature below 45 degrees.
I was just going off what they are using as selling points on their site saying people could ferment and carb in the bag. No way would i consider doing it.

About the carbing thing, yes keeping it at under 45F and 9 to 15 PSI would be great. I think you missed my point though, it wasn't about the bag being able to take the pressure. It was about getting a consistant carb level for the temp. 9 to 15 psi at 45F is good, but what about 9 to 15psi at 70F???? That is going to be some seriously undercarbed beer. maybe I looked at it wrong and that thing chills the whole bag and it wouldn't be a problem.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I think they said it was very air tight, so no CO2 is going to be leaking out and no O2 is getting in. And yeah, I think it chills the entire bag.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

Dogfish Inn. The beer themed Delaware inn set to open July 4th.

http://www.timesherald.com/lifestyle/20 ... for-july-4
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Wife wanted to go tour Troeg's for her birthday today, and off we went. Less than an hour drive so not too bad. First, the tour was great. It's $5, but we got to sample Java Head straight out of the cylinder-thing (my scientific term), before it was filtrated and completed. Then some samples at the end.

All came with a complementary Troeg's "Official Beer Taster" pint glass, which is actually really nice quality. Not as thin as some of the other pint glasses you get.

Their tasting room is outstanding. The snack bar is out of this world....don't let "snack bar" fool you. Their food is diverse, foodie-ish, and fantastic. They have their current scratch beers (small experimental batch stuff) on tap there, I had a nice DIPA (I think it was Scratch 145 or something?). Our tour guide also told us that they apparently have occasional releases of Bourbon-aged Troegenator, which is aged six months in bourbon barrels. Might make a special trip up to the brewery for their next release.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

Has anyone ever had any Troegs beer that wasnt ultra tasty?
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

It would be nice if one of my PA relatives would hook me up with some Troegs.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:Has anyone ever had any Troegs beer that wasnt ultra tasty?
This gentlem...er...I'm not a Troegs fan, but that's because I'm a malthead. Bass is about as far to the hop/citrus spectrum I care for. I've tried several Troegs and even the heavier ones are too hop/citrus for my taste. That said, I haven't seen many fans of the style who don't like them.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:Has anyone ever had any Troegs beer that wasnt ultra tasty?
Depends on what your definition of "tasty" is.

Beer that has a lot of flavor? No, all of them (that I've had thus far) are fairly high in the flavor category.

Now, if "tasty" means "I enjoyed the taste", then yes, I have had 1 that I didn't enjoy: the Doppelbock.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Troegs has fantastic variety. They are heavy on the hoppy stuff, but they also have the Troegenator (eismann, have you ever had this? not hoppy at all), Legrave, Flying Mouflan, all very solid beers.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

count2infinity wrote:Troegs has fantastic variety. They are heavy on the hoppy stuff, but they also have the Troegenator (eismann, have you ever had this? not hoppy at all), Legrave, Flying Mouflan, all very solid beers.
Yes, I did try it, and it still had too much bite for me, even though I think the IBU is only 25 or 30. Could also be the combo of the specific hops/Bourbon barrel.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

wow, you really do like non-hopped beer if 25 IBUs is too much. If you're ever in State College in the winter time, stop by Otto's. They have a seasonal called Ottonator, it's a doppelbock and it's like bread in a can. Very malty.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Trogenator is hoppy?
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

the wicked child wrote:Trogenator is hoppy?
No, I don't think it really is, it just had a hop/citrus/something taste come through that I believe is a Troegs staple but not to my liking.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

I always thought troegs of being hit or miss for me. Nugget nectar being my absolute favorite. Looking at their website now, I would have to agree with everyone else, there really isn't a bad beer that I've had from them.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Nugget Nectar is definitely their best. I would say that Perpetual IPA and Troegenator are right behind it, followed by Dreamweaver.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

in the winter, i love a good barley wine. Their flying mouflan is good, but depends on the year. I remember last years being pretty decent, 2012's was terrible, and 2011's was awesome.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

I hear/read a lot of praise for the Perpetual IPA. I've had a few times and really don't care for it. Not sure if I'm getting an old bottle or what, but I'm always left wanting more out of it...
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

That was how I felt when I tried it the first time, but I had a six pack that had a real nice citrus to it.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Just had my first Southern Tier Gemini. A big DIPA with citrus smells as soon as it was poured (chilled glass). The pour gave way to a light head and slight carbonation throughout the pretty orange, carmel color. The malt backbone held the hops in check. From the nose to taste, the hops are present, but do not overpower the flavor.

The bottle lists this as 9% abv. The alcohol is not 'hot' and remained hidden throughout the tasting. There is a little bottle carbonation (yeast residue) upon the finish.

Another solid(!) beer from Southern Tier.

Last night had Modern Times Fortunate Islands. Labeled as an American Wheat Ale, they take a relatively light (4.9% abv) Ale / Hefe blend, then kick it up with massive hops during the dry hop process. What is left is a Hop Head's dream of flavor and smell built on a sturdy blended profile with low abv. Will be looking for more of this one.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Also, as a share for the homebrewers that are out there, a buddy turned me on to this site.

http://beersmithrecipes.com/
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

so I found a sixer of Westy 12 online for about $90 shipped. About 1/4 of the charge is shipping.

I have it sitting in the cart but can't pull the trigger on it. I think I'm more concerned about the beer not making it to my place b/c of PA law.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

It generally comes down to whether or not the places will ship to PA or not. If the box isn't marked "ZOMG BEERZ!!!!!" it may have a good shot of getting there. One of my friends has ordered from places in the past, though none of those will ship to PA anymore.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I don't think I've had anything from Shipyard Brewery out of Maine. I'm going on a tour there in mid-July. Hope it's good stuff.