Other NHL games

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Other NHL games

Post by profpolisci »

screw you, Hawks :)
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

Voynov scores
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

Gaucho wrote:Not in the mood to watch hockey, I'm afraid.
Oh, there's a game on?

:cry:
Orlando Penguin
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Orlando Penguin »

Hmmmmmm...amazing what happens when you shoot a puck at the net.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Gaucho wrote:Not in the mood to watch hockey, I'm afraid.
Yeah...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

columbia wrote:
mikey287 wrote:I hate this ruling personally. He got a double-minor for high-sticking a guy and injuring him, fine. That's it. Carter's fine, Keith was just giving him a love tap for trying to slash his bare hand/knock his glove away from him in the immediately preceding sequence. Even in the preseason I wouldn't suspend a guy for that, much less the Western Conference Finals...and I think this is the straw that breaks the camel's back for me with Shanahan. This a reckless misuse of the disciplinarian system in my opinion.

I get it, you gotta be in control of your stick and the whole thing, believe me, I know...this isn't congruent with anything they've done in the past nor does it set any sort of necessary precedent for the future. Audacious misuse of authority...

In tinfoil news, if this happened vs. Pittsburgh, there would be a mass outcry that Bettman fixed another series for us because they needlessly removed the other team's best player before a crucial game...
Intentionally slashing another player in the face is ok in your book?
Yup.
Spoiler:
He doesn't intentionally slash a player in the face. He intentionally slashes a player and it happens to catch him in the face. I know that sounds silly, but there's a big difference. It's obviously nothing like McSorley/Brashear, that's just ridiculous. Like I said, he tries to give him a love tap and it catches him a bit in the face...it's not like he pull-started his chainsaw and started severing necks...this isn't a big deal like some are trying to make it. He meant to catch him in the arm, it got a little high so he got four minutes, that should have been the end of it...oh well...
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by profpolisci »

mikey287 wrote:
columbia wrote:
mikey287 wrote:I hate this ruling personally. He got a double-minor for high-sticking a guy and injuring him, fine. That's it. Carter's fine, Keith was just giving him a love tap for trying to slash his bare hand/knock his glove away from him in the immediately preceding sequence. Even in the preseason I wouldn't suspend a guy for that, much less the Western Conference Finals...and I think this is the straw that breaks the camel's back for me with Shanahan. This a reckless misuse of the disciplinarian system in my opinion.

I get it, you gotta be in control of your stick and the whole thing, believe me, I know...this isn't congruent with anything they've done in the past nor does it set any sort of necessary precedent for the future. Audacious misuse of authority...

In tinfoil news, if this happened vs. Pittsburgh, there would be a mass outcry that Bettman fixed another series for us because they needlessly removed the other team's best player before a crucial game...
Yup.

Spoiler:
He doesn't intentionally slash a player in the face. He intentionally slashes a player and it happens to catch him in the face. I know that sounds silly, but there's a big difference. It's obviously nothing like McSorley/Brashear, that's just ridiculous. Like I said, he tries to give him a love tap and it catches him a bit in the face...it's not like he pull-started his chainsaw and started severing necks...this isn't a big deal like some are trying to make it. He meant to catch him in the arm, it got a little high so he got four minutes, that should have been the end of it...oh well...
Here, nature of intent strikes me as irrelevant. It's analogous to telling the police officer you had no intention of hurting the homeless guy after you'd run an often ignored stop sign in the deserted end of town going 2mph.
Last edited by profpolisci on Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orlando Penguin
AHL'er
AHL'er

mikey287 wrote:
columbia wrote:

Yup.
Spoiler:

And if Shanahan doesn't suspend him a game, he introduces the precedent of a gray area in that a player can claim that he meant to hit the arm and accidentally got the head which will then encourage others to commit these kinds of stick fouls.
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by profpolisci »

The Piece doing work!
Orlando Penguin
AHL'er
AHL'er

profpolisci wrote:The Piece doing work!
Miss him in a Pens uniform but I know why he had to leave. Don't have to like it, though.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

Carter has stepped up
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Orlando Penguin wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
columbia wrote:

Yup.
Spoiler:

And if Shanahan doesn't suspend him a game, he introduces the precedent of a gray area in that a player can claim that he meant to hit the arm and accidentally got the head which will then encourage others to commit these kinds of stick fouls.
What in blue blazes are you talking about? You think if this incident went without a one-game suspension that players would start intentionally hitting each other in the head...? Come on...this isn't serious, right?

If anything, he's expanding a gray area by saying: the injury still takes precedent over the incident itself.

Player gets boarded hard: 0-1 games.
Player gets boarded hard and hurt: 2+ games

The injury is usually a random result of an incident. It's the incident you need to suspend for. Suspending for a play like this doesn't do anything (as if game's are a powderkeg of stick-to-head fouls waiting to explode) but further confuse what it is that's suspendable and why in the NHL...
Last edited by mikey287 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by profpolisci »

Healy says "you can't put a hand on somebody."

..unless you're Toews. Then you can deliver a wicked crosscheck in the crease that leads to a goal.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

Bickell is becoming the next Dustin Buffscxgfertlx for the Hawks with his goals in the playoffs. It was pretty weak but it counts and the guy is all over the ice.
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by profpolisci »

brwi wrote: Dustin Buffscxgfertlx
I laughed
Orlando Penguin
AHL'er
AHL'er

mikey287 wrote:
Orlando Penguin wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
columbia wrote:

Yup.
Spoiler:

What in blue blazes are you talking about? You think if this incident went without a one-game suspension that players would start intentionally hitting each other in the head...? Come on...this isn't serious, right?

If anything, he's expanding a gray area by saying: the injury still takes precedent over the incident itself.

Player gets boarded hard: 0-1 games.
Player gets boarded hard and hurt: 2+ games

The injury is usually a random result of an incident. It's the incident you need to suspend for. Suspending for a play like this doesn't do anything (as if game's are a powderkeg of stick-to-head fouls waiting to explode) but further confuse what it is that's suspendable and why in the NHL...
I'm not sure what's so difficult to comprehend about a stick swung like Keith swung his that lands on the head being called a suspendable offense. There's no place in the game for that crap. I'm sick of the on-ice officials allowing stick work go. If they'd police that crap like they should, then players will think twice about retaliation like that. You want to retaliate, use your hands. And when I say 'precedent' in my previous post, I'm talking about a player doing the same thing that a non-suspended Keith did and saying to Shanahan, 'well, I didn't mean to do it (even though he may have)' and Shanny has to make the same ruling he did on the non-suspended Keith.
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by profpolisci »

How is that not boarding???
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

profpolisci wrote:How is that not boarding???
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

Brown might be hte new dive king.

LA just can't score. Doesn't bode well for them if they somehow make it out of this series. I don't think they do though.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

East and West finals not very competitive this year. Very disappointing, especially in the East.
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by profpolisci »

Nothing interests me in a Bos/Chi final. Zero
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

profpolisci wrote:Nothing interests me in a Bos/Chi final. Zero
I'd rather watch it than the NBA finals. Guess that's not saying much. :slug:
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

profpolisci wrote:Nothing interests me in a Bos/Chi final. Zero
But but... Original Six!!!
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

Bickell and Lucic battling are enough for me to be interested
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

I'd like to see Chara and Bergeron frustrate Toews and Kane.