2023 Non-Penguins Related Thread

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Re: 2023 Non-Penguins Related Thread

Post by BigMcK »

After 40 attempts, the Penguins never moved up, and always pick Axel Sandin Pellikka. Offensive Defenseman.

That's why I don't play the lottery.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

3rd try Pens got Michkov. :D
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

Ok. Granlund, POJ, '24 3rd for Garland. Vancouver gets out of the extra year. Gets a better passer for their snipers. Cheap yound D who could grow into top 4.
Pens get a player that can create on his own a bit and replace Zucker's production. Play in top 9 where needed.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

ville5 wrote:3rd try Pens got Michkov. :D
That site says he's 5'10 148! lol is that even possible? I don't think I weighed less than 150 since elementary school
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

KG wrote:
That site says he's 5'10 148! lol is that even possible? I don't think I weighed less than 150 since elementary school
:lol: I would hope that's outdated.
I read his contract runs through the '25-'26 season but he could be the 2nd best player in the draft.
Also, his father was found dead last month under "unexplained" circumstances.
https://www.bleachernation.com/blackhaw ... ound-dead/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

KG wrote:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/theathleti ... n/%3famp=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That has him 172#.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Too bad it looks like the teams are there via Zoom. Saw a bunch of people on the Pens table lol.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote:Too bad it looks like the teams are there via Zoom. Saw a bunch of people on the Pens table lol.
Who were 4 people I did not recognize...could have been the janitor and cafeteria workers. lol
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

None of these teams are elite. Feels like nobody defends. I know scoring is up league wide, but it just feels like these teams are just trying to out score each other as opposed to playing a structured game.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Another blowout tonight. Not enough 3-2 OT games. Too many goals and loose defense .
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Weekes messed up the lottery by announcing CBJ won't be in the top two before they went to break!

And the league is putting themselves in an unnecessary situation. Chicago, of all organizations, is rewarded with the 1st overall and generational talent. You can easily make the argument that they should of have had the pick taken away from them with the scandal. All they got was a $2mill fine. Not a good look.

Bettman doesn't care. Very arrogant.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

KG wrote:Weekes messed up the lottery by announcing CBJ won't be in the top two before they went to break!

And the league is putting themselves in an unnecessary situation. Chicago, of all organizations, is rewarded with the 1st overall and generational talent. You can easily make the argument that they should of have had the pick taken away from them with the scandal. All they got was a $2mill fine. Not a good look.

Yeah I was going to mention the same Weekes spilled the beans before they went to commercial.

I think the cards are dumb I definitely preferred the lottery balls, I'm pretty sure the only time they did that NYR won the Lafrenière lottery.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

KG wrote:Weekes messed up the lottery by announcing CBJ won't be in the top two before they went to break!

What happened in the Hawks organization was abhorrent but most sports leagues have been consistent that draft picks are forfeited when the issue stems from interference with other teams or the game’s rules.

I wouldn’t be against the NHL making a precedent that teams who allow this kind of thing to happen start losing draft picks I can see why they weren’t penalized their first round pick and even if they were to take picks I don’t think it would be a first rounder anyways.

And the time to punish the Hawks with draft picks would had been the 2022 draft, not waiting until they get the top pick 18 months after they agreed to a settlement with the player involved.

Blaming Bettman seems misguided here and that $2 million fine was probably the maximum allowed under the current rules. Should the rules change? Sure. Would it be nice for Bettman to push for changes made so teams can be punished picks if they can’t already especially with more women getting more ingrained in hockey operations throughout the league? Absolutely.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

thehockeyguru wrote:

Yeah I was going to mention the same Weekes spilled the beans before they went to commercial.

I think the cards are dumb I definitely preferred the lottery balls, I'm pretty sure the only time they did that NYR won the Lafrenière lottery.
Too many things can go weird and wrong when you do a live drawing of the balls. I don’t remember them doing it live for Lafreniere but isn’t there a sequence of balls drawn that match a number randomly assigned to teams and the teams lower in the standings just get more numbers assigned? The cards just present the final audited results.

It’s like the NHL awards when they tell us the finalists. Votes are cast and counted, those are the three people who finished in the top. They already know the winners.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

I posted in the other thread, but I wonder if these "lotteries" are fixed. This wreaks of trying to fix Chicago's image. How convenient after they just finished with Toews and Kane.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Per Adrian Dater, Avs announce that Gabe Landeskog will miss the entire 2023-2024 season. He's having cartilage replacement surgery on his right knee.

This is a very serious surgery. Landeskog says he has not considered retirement. The success rate of the surgery is about 85%. Landeskog says he has had multiple discussions with Alonzo Ball of the NBA, who had the same surgery performed. Landeskog says it's too early to tell, but he isn't ruling out a return for the playoffs next season.

Marc Methot commented that he had the same surgery on his left knee, it is a brutal recovery, and that after the surgery he never recovered to a level that made skating at the NHL level possible.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

Pitts wrote:

I posted in the other thread, but I wonder if these "lotteries" are fixed. This wreaks of trying to fix Chicago's image. How convenient after they just finished with Toews and Kane.
In defense of the lottery, I ran the simulator various times and Chicago came out on top enough of the time that it seems possible. I wish CBJ had gotten it, but Chicago winning it wasn't a far fetched scenario.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Landeskog out for next season with cartilage transplant.
https://www.nhl.com/news/colorado-capta ... -344265376" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

Canes wiping out NJ 5-1 after Devils looked almost unstoppable for most of the 1st period. Yet another goalie change with Vanacek getting yanked.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

dark_forces wrote:
Pitts wrote:

In defense of the lottery, I ran the simulator various times and Chicago came out on top enough of the time that it seems possible. I wish CBJ had gotten it, but Chicago winning it wasn't a far fetched scenario.
I'm not a tinfoil hat guy but not having the drawing live makes questioning the integrity of the lottery fair game
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

6-1 yikes
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Skatingpen wrote:6-1 yikes
Canes looking like a legit contender. If they were more healthy they could be the favorite. They still might be even with their injuries.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

KG wrote:
Canes looking like a legit contender. If they were more healthy they could be the favorite. They still might be even with their injuries.
I was pushing for Burns last off-season, imagine if Hextall traded for Burns instead of Petry
murphydump55
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by murphydump55 »

KG wrote:
I took them to go to the finals and thought I was done with the 3 injuries to top 6 guys. Apparently not.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

murphydump55 wrote:
KG wrote:
I took them to go to the finals and thought I was done with the 3 injuries to top 6 guys. Apparently not.
I have them and EDM in a 2006 SC rematch, though I got skeptical with more Canes injuries and sometimes being unsure on goaltenders.