GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by llipgh2 »

Took Shad's advice and bought Hoppin' Frog Oatmeal Imperial Stout.

I like it. Very strong java taste.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

llipgh2 wrote:Took Shad's advice and bought Hoppin' Frog Oatmeal Imperial Stout.

I like it. Very strong java taste.
Nice. Yeah I love the coffee flavors
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Sippin on some Southern Tier Gemini at the moment. I didn't have much hope for this one as I really think ST has a tendency to over complicate things. The label said 6 types of hops and 4 types of malt, so I assumed it'd be confusing like some of their other stuff. Boy am I shocked. First off it's a big beer... 9%. The hops are very balanced even though it's a touch on the bitter side. It's nothing close to as bitter as some other IPAs I've had though. It also has a great body to follow up the very piney and floral aroma. Taste has a bit of sweetness along with some great citrusy tastes. Overall this is a fantastic beer.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

count2infinity wrote:Sippin on some Southern Tier Gemini at the moment. I didn't have much hope for this one as I really think ST has a tendency to over complicate things. The label said 6 types of hops and 4 types of malt, so I assumed it'd be confusing like some of their other stuff. Boy am I shocked. First off it's a big beer... 9%. The hops are very balanced even though it's a touch on the bitter side. It's nothing close to as bitter as some other IPAs I've had though. It also has a great body to follow up the very piney and floral aroma. Taste has a bit of sweetness along with some great citrusy tastes. Overall this is a fantastic beer.
do they sell this by 4 pack or bombers?

Black Butte is a great porter, will definitely be getting more. Victory Summer love went down pretty easy yesterday. Had a KBS for the derby, it was superb.

Picked up a deschutes hop henge for the game tonight, looking forward to it.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

It was in a 6 pack when I bought it.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

A nogne o/bridge road collaboration india-style saison for the first period. Nothing spectacular, but decent.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

deschutes hop henge was great. very hoppy up front leading to a nice pineapple taste. 9.1%. For $7, I'll be going back for more bombers.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Definitely planning on swinging by the Unibroue Brewery on either Friday or Saturday. They have a really cool restaurant right next door that is affiliated with the brewery.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_R ... uebec.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

shafnutz05 wrote:Definitely planning on swinging by the Unibroue Brewery on either Friday or Saturday. They have a really cool restaurant right next door that is affiliated with the brewery.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_R ... uebec.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you go to this place, take an extra bottle of statins. :scared:

http://www.restaurantaupieddecochon.ca/menu_e.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Had some good black ipa home brew last night. Also had a KBS (the complex flavors in this is amazing). Also had a lagunitas hop stoopid (what a smooth ipa, highly recommend). Also had some cigar city florida cracker (needed something light after back to back sun/mon drinking).
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Got the Flying Dog Wheat at the Bucco game. Not bad, but I've had better...

Like the Penn Hefe at McFaddens. Excellent beer.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Had Southern Tier Goat Boy. Not much of a fan. Taste more like Sharpie smell than it does a weizen (I am aware it is a weizenbock).
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Two new beers to try and both were great.

Great Lakes Rye of the Tiger IPA and Bell's Brewery Two Hearted Ale.

Rye of the Tiger was a nice blend of the malt and yeast, with enough hops on the top for a nice IPA. In comparison to Sierra Nevada's Rye IPA, the Rye of the Tiger has less of a rye taste, but is smoother overall with the hops. Good stuff.

I was really looking forward to the Two Hearted Ale. From fellow beer enthusiasts here, this beer was much sought after. It did not disappoint. I made the mistake at first of pouring it into a frozen pint glass which increased carbonation quickly. After letting it sit for a few minutes, the head evened out and the foam transitioned back into liquid. The taste was a nice balance of flavor and it was easy to taste why this is a staple beer for the brewery. They should really bottle and sell this stuff. Wait.... oh yeah, they do. And probably sell a heck of a lot of it.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

MRandall25 wrote:Got the Flying Dog Wheat at the Bucco game. Not bad, but I've had better...

Like the Penn Hefe at McFaddens. Excellent beer.
I like the Flying Dog one quite a bit, but yeah... I could probably name 6-10 hefes I'd rather drink
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

had a few with the game last night:

ommegang fleur de houblon - more I'm drinking from them, the more I like them. Nice Belgian Pale Ale (a style beside goose island matilda, I can't remember having). Very refreshing
Deschutes Twighlight Summer Ale - nothing special, pretty ordinary, tasted like a light amber
Deschutes Chainbreaker White IPA - to me this tasted what the twighlight summer ale should be, could throw these back all day.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I thought Fleur De Houblon was really good last year.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

picked up a glimmerglass as well, hope that is as good as everything else I've had from them.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I'm sad that I seem to have missed my chance to try the glimmerglass. Saison + Ommegang, I should have been all over that. I heard there was a tapping party at Bocktown a few weeks ago, but I imagine its gone at this point.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

do you like their glimmerglass better than their hennepin?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

glimmerglass was just released this year. I've never tried it.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

I think I'm going to dedicate the weekend to saisons (Bruery Rue, Bruery Saison de Lente, glimmerglass, sofie, and homebrew) so I'll give you an update. Giant Eagle had 4 packs of it for $12 and the conveniently had them in the mix n match 6 pack section as well.

Between the hennepin, 3 philosophers, and Fleur De Houblon I've tried from Ommegang, they are growing as a favorite. Already looking at B&Bs in the area for a tour, what else from them does anyone else recommend?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Very nice. I have had many saisons since I had the Rue, but my recollection is that it is pretty solid with a touch of sourness. I just had the saison de lente at the sour tasting and recall it being a very nice grassy saison. You have to pull the trigger on Saison Dupont. There can't be many better examples of a beer that would so unanimously appear in an encyclopedia next to a particular style.

Definitely look for the Gnomegang. I believe that has moved onto their regular production line. I think its probably considered a belgian strong pale ale. I also enjoy Rare Vos. It has just a touch of funk/sourness. Not a huge fan of the Witte.

Edit: There's also an Ommegang BPA that I've had before. I think I got it in a 6-pack mix from Whole Foods. I'm not sure if its still produced now that they are doing the FdH, but I thought it was good.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

@3RiversBeer: Now available @RussianRiverBC Consecration. Limit one bottle per person.

3 rrivers 6 pack in delmont just twittered that, is Pittsburgh getting Russian River now?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Whoa. That's awesome. I'd guess like $22/bottle?
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

BigMcK wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:Firestone Walker 805 ale. Deeeelishus.
A very nice choice. In that, while you lay the protein of choice on the grill and need to grab a cold, adult beverage to socialize, that is a great beverage to enjoy with the party.
Do you like any other FW brews? I really like the Double Barrel Ale, the California Pale 31, and the Velvet Merlin oatmeal stout (which I did not know was a thing until I had this beer).