Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by pens_CT »

KG wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:50 pm Poulin with a goal in now 4 straight. Get him and pool party up.
I guess its his turn at the NHL level to get 7 minutes TOI as decreed by Lord Sullivan.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Chris Johnston
@reporterchris
Placed on NHL waivers today: Radim Zohorna (PIT).

Maybe recall Poulin? Sign Puljujarvi?
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

KG wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:37 pm Chris Johnston
@reporterchris
Placed on NHL waivers today: Radim Zohorna (PIT).

Maybe recall Poulin? Sign Puljujarvi?
Hopefully Z clears he is good depth. Carter has the same point total it will be nice to have him off the roster.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Iain MacIntyre
@imacSportsnet
Canucks GM Patrik Allvin on being aggressive ahead of trade deadline: “I think I owe it to the players. We know that they are capable of playing at this high level. And if they continue to do that, it's on me to support them and give them opportunities to be successful.”

Allvin is cut from the same cloth as Rutherford. Doesn't sound like they have any issue paying up for a player they key in on.
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

KG wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:00 pm Iain MacIntyre
@imacSportsnet
Canucks GM Patrik Allvin on being aggressive ahead of trade deadline: “I think I owe it to the players. We know that they are capable of playing at this high level. And if they continue to do that, it's on me to support them and give them opportunities to be successful.”

Allvin is cut from the same cloth as Rutherford. Doesn't sound like they have any issue paying up for a player they key in on.
While Allvin is the GM I would expect if Rutherford "suggests" he look into a deal for Guentzel, they will go hard after him. The question is how do you balance the money in/out unless you use a third team for that purpose.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

pens_CT wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:47 pm
@imacSportsnet

While Allvin is the GM I would expect if Rutherford "suggests" he look into a deal for Guentzel, they will go hard after him. The question is how do you balance the money in/out unless you use a third team for that purpose.
Guentzel out with 5% retained and Kuzmenko in would work.
Guentzel out with 15% retained and Garland in would work.

I think Garland is more of the same of what we have, and I don't think Kuzmenko is really a Sully type of player.
I think Guentzel for Garland+ should net us a better return because we are basically taking Garland off their hands. He's a high end 3rd liner at best right now.
I think Kuzmenko (who had 39 goals last year but is struggling mightily this season) could be a Guentzel type replacement for shorter term, and if we don't like him, I believe there are a number of teams that wouldn't mind acquiring him over the summer.

Guentzel (5% retained) for Kuzmenko, Hoglander, and a 1st OR Guentzel (15% retained) for Garland, Lekkerimaki, and a 1st. The first one gets us the better current player, the 2nd one gets us the higher rated prospect.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Never noticed until last game against the Canucks just how small Garland is. No thanks.
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:10 am Never noticed until last game against the Canucks just how small Garland is. No thanks.
Yep - and if there's anything we've learned over the past 5 years, he's the exact type of player Sullivan would probably vouch for :face:
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Coffey Break wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:04 am
lemieuxReturns wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:10 am Never noticed until last game against the Canucks just how small Garland is. No thanks.
Yep - and if there's anything we've learned over the past 5 years, he's the exact type of player Sullivan would probably vouch for :face:
Listed as 5’10”
Almost positive that is with skates on.
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pekkasteele »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:16 pm
pens_CT wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:47 pm
@imacSportsnet

Guentzel out with 5% retained and Kuzmenko in would work.
Guentzel out with 15% retained and Garland in would work.

I think Garland is more of the same of what we have, and I don't think Kuzmenko is really a Sully type of player.
I think Guentzel for Garland+ should net us a better return because we are basically taking Garland off their hands. He's a high end 3rd liner at best right now.
I think Kuzmenko (who had 39 goals last year but is struggling mightily this season) could be a Guentzel type replacement for shorter term, and if we don't like him, I believe there are a number of teams that wouldn't mind acquiring him over the summer.

Guentzel (5% retained) for Kuzmenko, Hoglander, and a 1st OR Guentzel (15% retained) for Garland, Lekkerimaki, and a 1st. The first one gets us the better current player, the 2nd one gets us the higher rated prospect.
I would be willing to retain 50% on Jake to get more prospects/picks and a cheaper player so they can fit 50% of Jake under their cap. Since Jake is a FA after the season, it would not har us going forward.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Z clears.

He wasn't at practice today. No word on if he was sent to WBS yet.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:05 pm Z clears.

Zohorna was assigned to WBS. Ryan Shea recalled. Ruhwedel practiced. Poulin continues to wait for his chance...
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:14 pm

Zohorna was assigned to WBS. Ryan Shea recalled. Ruhwedel practiced. Poulin continues to wait for his chance...
Looks like White is on the 3rd line with Eller and Puus.

White is a good defender and can play center. I would put him at 4C and move Acciari up to the 3rd line wing. That won't happen though.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:15 pm

White is a good defender and can play center. I would put him at 4C and move Acciari up to the 3rd line wing. That won't happen though.
Puustinen is fairly tied to RW (even though he has that killer shot from the LW circle). Acciari is also tied to RW (and C of course), so that probably wouldn't work out well.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

KG wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:15 pm

Odds on White actually getting icetime when defending a 2-0 lead late in the 3rd?
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

How is it that the Flyers who were to be a non factor in the playoff race is now within two points of the Rangers for second? Half way through the season, this is quiet an accomplishment. Why are we struggling just to get a WC berth and they are cruising? I thought we had the better team, I guess I was wrong.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

Maybe they have better coaching?
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

Antonio wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:49 am Maybe they have better coaching?
THIS!!! :!:
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Dynasty1970 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:31 am
Sullivan doesn't need to go full 11 mode like Torts, but maybe if Sullivan was at a 3 or 4 level in terms of holding his players accountable we'd be in a better spot...instead of, well guys, we just got blanked 7-0, but we'll get to our game tomorrow.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:12 am
Sullivan doesn't need to go full 11 mode like Torts, but maybe if Sullivan was at a 3 or 4 level in terms of holding his players accountable we'd be in a better spot...instead of, well guys, we just got blanked 7-0, but we'll get to our game tomorrow.
I'd sooner trade places with San Jose than hire Tortorella.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:11 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:12 am
I'd sooner trade places with San Jose than hire Tortorella.
Tortorella is 673-551-170 (. 548) in 1,383 career games as an NHL head coach. His 673 career wins rank 14th in NHL history and second among U.S.-born coaches.

I understand the acrimony for Torts because of his personality, but it is hard to refute that he has been quite successful - especially in short term circumstances where teams need to buy into playing team hockey. His teams generally lead the league in hits and blocks because his expectation is a total buy in. After a few seasons that can get old. But in short bursts it can turn teams around. He should be in the Jack Adams conversation for this year. Do I like him? Not necessarily but I look at coaches like him as short term solutions to long term issues. Sustainability is his biggest downfall.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Wyopen wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:38 am How is it that the Flyers who were to be a non factor in the playoff race is now within two points of the Rangers for second? Half way through the season, this is quiet an accomplishment. Why are we struggling just to get a WC berth and they are cruising? I thought we had the better team, I guess I was wrong.
Coaching. The entire team is scared to death of that coach.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

I wouldn't say better necessarily. Scarier...yes. :)
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Wyopen wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:38 am How is it that the Flyers who were to be a non factor in the playoff race is now within two points of the Rangers for second? Half way through the season, this is quiet an accomplishment. Why are we struggling just to get a WC berth and they are cruising? I thought we had the better team, I guess I was wrong.
Same could be said for the Caps in some sense. They have almost zero scoring but yet They somehow keep winning games…….annoying
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

I've always liked Torts. He's a big supporter of the military and of animal causes, both of which engender significant affection from me. Plus, history shows he knows what he's doing behind the bench, with success in multiple places and teams unlike a certain guy who has ridden a couple of years of a stacked team with prime age superstars to an undeserved reputation. Lastly, Mike Keenan was rough but still was a good coach and got results. Maybe, just maybe, a guy being a super gruff and rough personality doesn't mean he isn't a good coach.