Official Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Official Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Post by wondermoose »

DelPen wrote:Does anyone here actually watch any other games besides Steelers? I might turn on the Panthers since they are local but I used to watch NFL just because and my TV had football all day Sunday. But now it’s very little.
NFL Red Zone for fantasy football, but that's waned quite a bit this year. If it isn't the quality of play, then it's the number of ads, and if it isn't the ads, it's the terrible former player commentators,
ejd43
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ejd43 »

wondermoose wrote:
DelPen wrote:Does anyone here actually watch any other games besides Steelers? I might turn on the Panthers since they are local but I used to watch NFL just because and my TV had football all day Sunday. But now it’s very little.
NFL Red Zone for fantasy football, but that's waned quite a bit this year. If it isn't the quality of play, then it's the number of ads, and if it isn't the ads, it's the terrible former player commentators,
Years past I would watch every game. Every Sunday I would watch the 1,4,8:30 game and the MNF regardless of who was playing. Now it’s just the Steelers game and football is done for the day in my household. I’m not sure if it’s the way the NFL is heading or my priorities changed with being married and having children, but the Steelers game is enough for me.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Steve »

wondermoose wrote:
For me, the number of ads is making it almost unwatchable. (along with everything else). After each score, a ton of ads. Kickoff, touchback. More ads. Crappy sitcom promos DURING the game, and other ads during the game. At what point does the NFL just go to a split screen at all times, with the game being played on one side and ads being run on the other side?

The NFL is really lucky that fantasy football took off like it did, that's keeping alot of people from tuning out even more. (at least for me).

I watch the Steelers and I track the other games for my fantasy team. Today's game was a rarity in that I was annoyed after a Steelers loss, usually I'm mildly glad if they win but I don't care that much if they lose.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Some good things, managed to essentially beat them without Brown and Haden which will help in the Conf Finals. Players have a chip on their shoulders now instead of feeling like this was their super bowl. Also, looking at the seeding now hopefully it’s the Ravens as the 6th seed playing Jax, then Titans and Chiefs. Then Ravens at Pats 2nd round to at least give them some fits.

My only issue is one I’ve had for over a decade, Pats benefit from all the calls and it doesn’t help that teams refuse to just play football against them and try stupid **** that never works like Seattle not pounding in a TD in the Super Bowl or not forcing a ball like Ben did yesterday. Chris Carter found a clip of an even more obvious incomplete pass in a game winner vs Houston this year that they upheld. The Pats have been barely winning but it seems that’s what they always do, just enough.

I feel better about Super Bowl chances though today, the defense just needs to figure out how to mange a TE and not having shazier hurts a lot there.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Isn't it weird how a running back crosses the plane with control of the ball, then loses it and it's a touchdown. A receiver catches the ball, has complete control, crosses the plane, loses it and it's no catch. There is little doubt Jesse James had complete control. He would have hung on to it if was a deflated ball (sarc).
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Humperdink wrote:Isn't it weird how a running back crosses the plane with control of the ball, then loses it and it's a touchdown. A receiver catches the ball, has complete control, crosses the plane, loses it and it's no catch. There is little doubt Jesse James had complete control. He would have hung on to it if was a deflated ball (sarc).
I’m more pissed at him that he didn’t manage control but hip and knee down in the field and elbow down in end zone while have full control and then it comes out, that’s a catch and don’t know how you can overturn a TD call there.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

Humperdink wrote:Isn't it weird how a running back crosses the plane with control of the ball, then loses it and it's a touchdown. A receiver catches the ball, has complete control, crosses the plane, loses it and it's no catch. There is little doubt Jesse James had complete control. He would have hung on to it if was a deflated ball (sarc).
I was trying to figure this one out myself early this a.m. on my commute.
Southern Fan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Southern Fan »

Tony Romo didn’t know initially why the catch by James replay was taking so long because it was a good catch.

And he was the quarterback on the 2014 Dez Bryant non catch Shows you how rare that is.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Texans acting like they can get calls reversed while not simply being from Boston.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I think we were out of bounds when we made that INT in the end zone.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Surprised O'Brien went for it on 4th down. Even more surprised we stopped them.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Humperdink wrote:Surprised O'Brien went for it on 4th down. Even more surprised we stopped them.
That close why not unless of course you throw an INT in the end zone.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

DelPen wrote:
Humperdink wrote:Surprised O'Brien went for it on 4th down. Even more surprised we stopped them.
That close why not unless of course you throw an INT in the end zone.
Down 10-0, a FG puts you within one score. OTOH, we haven't stopped many 4th and short at the goal line.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Every time I see one of these backup QB's look dreadful (which is typically always), I wonder what the plan is when Ben calls it quits. Maybe I'm in the minority, but not impressed with Landry J.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

We find a backup who is too good to be a backup to man the ship until we find the next Ben in the draft.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Blatant offensive pass interference there, can’t pull the defenders jersey back so he can’t jump up and defend the pass.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

And the guy trapped the ball. Hand not under. Not sure how you can say that’s a TD and not James last week.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

DelPen wrote:We find a backup who is too good to be a backup to man the ship until we find the next Ben in the draft.
Funny you should say that. I read this link the other day. My suggestion is trade up in the draft and get a stud.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/story ... s-pro-fits" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Humperdink on Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Humperdink wrote:
DelPen wrote:We find a backup who is too good to be a backup to man the ship until we find the next Ben in the draft.
Funny you say that. I read this link the other day. My suggestion is trade up in the draft and get a stud.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/story ... s-pro-fits" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Now would be the time I guess as long as Ben doesn’t cause any drama picking his replacement like Favre did with Rogers.
Faubert5
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Post by Faubert5 »

DelPen wrote:
Humperdink wrote:
Funny you say that. I read this link the other day. My suggestion is trade up in the draft and get a stud.

Now would be the time I guess as long as Ben doesn’t cause any drama picking his replacement like Favre did with Rogers.
Kirk Cousins is a free agent this year. If Ben goes out bring him in for a couple of years. See what he can do with a real football team until Ben's replacement is found and ready. He's not going to get the franchise tag money he's getting now.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

The Trib, in the summary of yesterday's win: "Oh, and even Vance McDonald nabbed four catches in a row without getting hurt."

Funny.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Egads, James Harrison signs with the Patriots.
Southern Fan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Southern Fan »

Humperdink wrote:Egads, James Harrison signs with the Patriots.
Based on body of work for 2017, it should be a non-factor.

But I wouldn't be surprised if all the holding calls he didn't get as a Steeler magically become holds as a Patriot. I have my tin foil hat on.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Played us a couple weeks ago and anyone can break down tape to get a good read on the defense.

Sad to see a guy who was mad that he wasn’t playing go to a team where he still won’t play out of spite. But if Harrison is actually playing than that’s bad news for the Pats.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

DelPen wrote:Played us a couple weeks ago and anyone can break down tape to get a good read on the defense.

Sad to see a guy who was mad that he wasn’t playing go to a team where he still won’t play out of spite. But if Harrison is actually playing than that’s bad news for the Pats.
Mentioned this to my son and his response was: " Not worried about him playing against us. It's what he knows about our defensive plays/schemes that worries me. Belechak is famous for milking information from players of future opponents" Hadn't thought of that.

And then he will be waived.