Non-Pens NHL Games Thread

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Non-Pens NHL Games Thread

Post by profpolisci »

KG wrote:Go Kings Go...
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Either the refs think LA is doing a bunch of diving out there or they are trying to extend this series...
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Winning that 4th game is always the hardest! Phoenix won't be making this one easy...
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

I threw a hamburger on my flat iron and left the windows closed in my small kitchen. Caused my smoke alarm to go off right after the Kings scored. Was like a goal horn

edit :AHHHOOOOOOOOOOO Yotes
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Steve »

Go Yotes!

(for themost part, because I want to see another game in this series)
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

At this point, i just want the rangers to lose. I dont care who does it or who wins. The Devils don't even bother me right now.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

Steve wrote:Go Yotes!

(for themost part, because I want to see another game in this series)
:thumb: Me too.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

offsides wrote:
mikey287 wrote:If you've ever seen me in the GDT, I am staunchly anti-Pens fans that are anti-refs. There are some people in those things that just whine about the refs...it's pathetic. And I would assume most of those people (probably all) have never reffed before either, it's damn hard. So I absolutely, 100,000% would have said the same thing if it was the Pens in game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. No question.

Now that I've read the rest of the post, I've positive you haven't reffed. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's easy to make calls from your couch with the help of slo-motion replays. There are not 4 people on the ice that can make that call. Only the two refs can, the linesmen cannot make that call. They have to make a call right there, you can't sit there and blow the whistle and then talk about why the whistle was blown (penalty, just the net being off, other...?) and then come to a conclusion -when in reality neither ref should have been watching Doughty...

In that situation, I might have quickly yelled to my partner "you see 8 white?" and his reaction is likely to be nothing of use or else he would have called the penalty himself. But if he goes, "nope, lost a wheel" definitively, I'll let it go. Other than that, it makes sense that he knocked the net off, especially a player with the skill of Doughty...too convenient for him to knock the net off there like that. I caught it out of the corner of my eye, I'm prepared to go with it at this point in the game.

NHL has the best refs in all of sports and do the best job, dealing with the fastest game. I don't know what you want...
Nope, never refed anything but some baseball. I have seen the refs ask linesmen if they saw a certain play. Since play was stopped, don't see why they couldn't have a short huddle about the play. I also hate people that think the Pens commit no penalties and the opponent has a penalty on every play. I am a firm beliver in whining is for losers and to just try and play through BAD calls. That being said, the refs tend to make calls according to the score, not the actual infraction. Some seem determined to make a game close. And make-up calls make me crazy. Only sport I know that refs admit to giving make-up calls. I do not think they are close to having the best refs in any sport.
Linesmen can only be consulted on the following I believe: high-sticks that cause injury, a major/match penalty and too many men. I can't think of anything else that's usual that a linesman can be asked about.

You're not really supposed to huddle though. You either saw it or you didn't. What's the huddle about? Like I said, I'd be ok with "you see anything here?" and then if there's nothing (which there won't be), you make the call or you don't. There's nothing to talk about. What happens when you don't have the benefit of the net coming off? Whistle gets blown, huddle, then...nevermind, no call...

The biggest complaint about reffing is consistency...so now you got fans going, "well, they huddled over our call, but not this call! wtf! how about some consistency!" You either think there's a penalty or there isn't...no reviews, no extended chats, none of that. Experienced refs know where they're suppoed to look, what area belongs to each ref.

Yeah, I don't appreciate ref complaints really. Sometimes they're poor, most of the time they're very good. Most of the whining about refs on this - or any team - board is a) homerism b) lack of understanding ...so it is what it is...sometimes you get some well grounded ones, not every game is reffed perfectly...sometimes there's legit beef, I've been behind the bench for years and have had refs start taking off their equipment and handing it to me during games - going "you can do it better? Do it" haha...I'm not perfect either in the heat of the moment...but from the general fan, it's normally just seeing what they want to see combined with not understanding what they're looking at...

As for situational or circumstantial reffing, sometimes it's applicable. Sometimes you need to make some calls to keep the game from getting out of hand, sometimes early to set a precedent, sometimes it happens to fall 5 to 0 in power plays and you're not looking for a penalty to call, but your arm goes up a little quicker when that team has 0 going into the 3rd and the other team has had several...it's not that they're making it up, it's just they get a little less lienient for the team that's gotten the benefit all game...

You get a lot of chatter as the game goes on from the benches too..."hey ref, we're 43 minutes into this game...are you telling me the other team has done nothing wrong? Nothing? That seems odd...nothing?" It can make you think.

You also don't want to decide the game if you can help it. If it's not an auto call (delay of game, etc.) and it's tied late in the 3rd, they better really be taking away a scoring chance for me to make a call...you try to let the players play it the right way and if they can't handle it, you start hauling them off one by one or two by two or five by five if you need to...

You said you've done some baseball...and you can answer this anyway you want, if you're trying to make a point, I know what way you'll answer, but here it goes anyway...

11-0 game, 9th inning...it's been a caustic game...you've tossed a manager, you've tossed three players (two pitchers for beaning players)...2-2 count, ball comes in a little out of your strike zone, belt high...you aren't gonna ring'em up? You're gonna force another pitch into this game? A powder keg that is just being finished on formality alone? Sometimes circumstantial is how you handle it is all I'm saying...even though some fans don't really want to hear it. I've made mistakes while reffing before, I'll give it back to them when I can. I'll talk to refs (as a coach), plant a seed, let them know what's going on and when, what to look for if I see something they don't...I'll get the call eventually...
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

mikey287 wrote:
11-0 game, 9th inning...it's been a caustic game...you've tossed a manager, you've tossed three players (two pitchers for beaning players)...2-2 count, ball comes in a little out of your strike zone, belt high...you aren't gonna ring'em up? You're gonna force another pitch into this game? A powder keg that is just being finished on formality alone? Sometimes circumstantial is how you handle it is all I'm saying...even though some fans don't really want to hear it. I've made mistakes while reffing before, I'll give it back to them when I can. I'll talk to refs, plant a seed, let them know what's going on and when, what to look for if I see something they don't...I'll get the call eventually...
LOL, I only umped kids up to 12, never got very intense. In your scenario above, sounds to me like it's Miller time. Sssssttttrrike 3. Now if the score is 3-2, let the powder keg simmer.
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by profpolisci »

wow, a Frankie Pete save!
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Fair enough, but you know what I'm getting at. And I agree with your last point. 3-2, different story. 11-2...you're out of here...
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

Come on Phoenix.......................5 on 3.

Never mind.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Fair to say this is one of the best games of these Stanley Cup Playoffs? Just terrific pace and play, my heart is going a mile a minute watching this...
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Streaks House »

mikey287 wrote:Fair to say this is one of the best games of these Stanley Cup Playoffs? Just terrific pace and play, my heart is going a mile a minute watching this...
:fist:
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by profpolisci »

Has Tony Seracola worked a game since the Briere screw-up?
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I have an early meeting....let's finish this in <= 1 OT, gentlemen.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

crap. if this goes to OT I only have 1 beer left...and a phone interview at 9am.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

columbia wrote:I have an early meeting....let's finish this in <= 1 OT, gentlemen.
I wouldn't mind a couple three OTs.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

offsides wrote:
columbia wrote:I have an early meeting....let's finish this in <= 1 OT, gentlemen.
So 6 OTs?
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

DudeMan2766 wrote:
offsides wrote:
So 6 OTs?
OK by me. I got nothing going till 1PM.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

One of the dumber plays I have seen in a while.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

zack morris's dad might have cost the yotes the series with that penalty
Orlando Penguin
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Orlando Penguin »

profpolisci wrote:Has Tony Seracola worked a game since the Briere screw-up?

Oh yes...he did a game like 2-3 nights later in the Rangers-Senators series.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

Froggy wrote:zack morris's dad might have cost the yotes the series with that penalty
if he gets cut he'll just fall back on his computer salesman career. Zack will be fine and can still afford that dorm room that Mike Golic's brother watches over.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

lol so snapping your head back when an opposing player is within 9 feet of you only works if you're a Flyer